Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Optimizing enlarger lens; Meopta Belar 75/4,5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Optimizing enlarger lens; Meopta Belar 75/4,5 Reply with quote

This enlarger lens with zebra body has square blade. I like this combination.
I'm trying to explore it these days. At first I planned to use it for macro photography, as my friend said that, enalrger lens is the best for macro. Yes it's has magnification. And soon I find out that it can be used as a portrait lens, but without focusing ring (this time). Fcus is fixed now.
Equipment:
1. EoS 1000D Camera
2. Extension tube M42
3. empty black film tube, used as extension tube. For portrait I cut almost half this tube
4. stereofoam and tape

WIth uncut film tube

Square bokeh is the main reason I bought this lens.

For portrait, I cut the film tube.

Now I'm searching material to optimize this lens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Square bokeh? I'm intrigued by this; please post some samples of its usage.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

it has only 4 blades, it was standard lens for Meopta enlargers 50mm/4.5 and 75mm/4.5 has screw mount 25mm in diameter

i have 2 meopta enlargers and both have belar lenses in them

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

I have main problem with this lens. It has something like mark on middle glass, so I cannot use narrow aperture or it will has terrible flare. I tried to handle it with hood from paper, it give a little help. So I have to find the right object and right time to make good square bokeh.
Here's from yesterday;

I also use M42-EOS adapter to help. Focusing is more easy with chipped adapter. Too bad my eyes is getting worse. I think I need to change my glasses Sad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very insteresting. Thank's for your advices and information! Smile

Greetings,
bluecove

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Optimizing enlarger lens; Meopta Belar 75/4,5 Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
I'm trying to explore it these days. At first I planned to use it for macro photography, as my friend said that, enalrger lens is the best for macro. Yes it's has magnification. And soon I find out that it can be used as a portrait lens, but without focusing ring (this time). Fcus is fixed now.
Equipment:
1. EoS 1000D Camera
2. Extension tube M42
3. empty black film tube, used as extension tube. For portrait I cut almost half this tube
4. stereofoam and tape

Now I'm searching material to optimize this lens.

If you are interested in testing enlarger lenses, here two links, which maybe could be helpful.

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-vnex-system-t54300.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/vnex-showroom-for-enlarger-and-other-lens-pictur-t54330.html

This VNEX is initial for Sony NEX cameras but you can remount his INLAY with a simple T2 adaptor for Canon or other mounts, which are able to connect T2.

Most of enlargers greater or equal 75mm you can mount on DSLR cams.

Regards
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

I have main problem with this lens. It has something like mark on middle glass, so I cannot use narrow aperture or it will has terrible flare. I tried to handle it with hood from paper, it give a little help. So I have to find the right object and right time to make good square bokeh.
Here's from yesterday;..
I also use M42-EOS adapter to help. Focusing is more easy with chipped adapter. Too bad my eyes is getting worse. I think I need to change my glasses Sad

There are more enlarger lenses with "square" bokeh-highlights.. Schneider Trinar - lenses for example. The Meopta is a very cheap lens, so look better for another copy in better condition or open and clean the lens... its easy.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen 5 to countless blades. 5 looks rather poor IMO, but I'm not sure if I like the quirkyness of square bokeh or hate it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Optimizing enlarger lens; Meopta Belar 75/4,5 Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:

Like all in the world, a matter of taste..

Me i dont like such square highlights.. and prefer the rounded ones, you can found on older and better enlarger lenses, like
SK Componar 1:4.5/80mm

Your pics remember me more on that old "effect - filter" which you could screw in filterthread of normal lenses for getting effects like "star grid", "cromatic abberation" "softspot in center" and so on.

I dont like this kind of effects in my pictures.

cheers
Henry