Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Argus C-4 Geiss modified
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Argus C-4 Geiss modified Reply with quote

Switching this here from the "gallery" as I have expanded it.
I have since sold this set though I still have one Argus-Geiss C-4 I am still working on.

These cameras and lenses date from about 1954-1956

The Argus C-4 is a US-made, reliable, sturdy, simple and easy to repair rangefinder camera, with, at the time, some advanced features that were not available even on the professional Leica III series of the day, such as an integrated view and rangefinder and a flash hotshoe ! An excellent platform for a rangefinder camera system in fact. The original model of the C-4 had a fixed 50mm lens.

However, Geiss America of Chicago, an importer, modified a number of C-4 cameras (with or without the cooperation of the Argus company is unknown), to add a lens mounting system, and Geiss contracted with Enna Werk of Munich to provide a range of interchangeable lenses, plus some other accessories from other European makers.

The result is a rather nice rangefinder system, easy to use (much more so than the Leica III's) and versatile. The only real problems were the limited (though sturdy and reliable) leaf shutter, which only had speeds up to 1/300, and the rather awkward lens mount, which has to mesh with the external rangefinder gear. It is still a much better system than that of the Argus C3, and infinitely better than that of the Argus C-44, which was Argus' own attempt to do interchangeable lenses on the C-4 platform.

Of all the Argus rangefinder systems, this is the best; its got the best lens mount and the largest selection of lenses, albeit some of them are rather uncommon.

I took some shots with this system before I sold them, using Arista Edu 100 film. This is with a mix of the 35mm and 100mm lenses, and some with the 35mm were with a red gel filter in a Cokin holder. Most of these taken at the San Mateo County Fair.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are great images, and that camera has a lot of character.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an interesting camera.
I'd no idea Arguses were available with that option for the early models.