Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 9 lens hood?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Jupiter 9 lens hood? Reply with quote

I just received a Jupiter 9 lens from Russia to join my Mir 1b, Helios 44M and 3M-5A lenses. Lens is mint as descibed on ebay. However reference was made to a built-in hood. I'm not sure if seller was mistaken or I am missing something? Lens is a very solid piece with an amazing no of blades! Can anyone enlighten me about the "in-built hood"?
Thanks
bb2

Last edited by beachboy2 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Jupiter 9 lens hood? Reply with quote

beachboy2 wrote:
I just received a Jupiter 9 lens from Russia to join my Mir 1b and 3M-5A lenses. Lens is mint as descibed on ebay. However reference was made to a built-in hood. I'm not sure if seller was mistaken or I am missing something? Lens is a very solid piece with an amazing no of blades! Can anyone enlighten me about the "in-built hood"?
Thanks
bb2

I saw a listing like that - and I was as confused as you. AFAIK no version of the Jupiter 9 has a built in hood.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the seller sold also TAIR-11A or Jupiter-21M and made a copy/paste error (these lenses has built-in hood, Jupiter-9 hasn't)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, my mind is at ease.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beachboy2 wrote:
Thanks, my mind is at ease.

it is good to have a calm mind..
but as the previous posters had pointed out the J-9 does not have a built in hood, some mistake must have been made..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it - even if it had a built-in hood like the Tair 11A, it would probably be too short to be much use. I always put a fairly normal hood on my Tair.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex photo goods on ebay sells the right hoods for the Jupiter 9, 51mm push on, had some still yesterday Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

51 mm?

It can be too short for the J-9, isn't it?

A 8 or 9 cm. may be a good one.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

51mm wide to push over the 49mm filter ring, it would be about 90-100mm long I think

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the bricolage, perhaps can find fun:

http://www.novacon.com.br/jupiter9.htm

Part III - Technical data.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting reference thanks.

PS my Takumar hood from 135mm f3.5 lens fits fine.
bb2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Rino, Novacon is a great site. Luis the guy that runs it has a lot a fascinating stuff on it and is a very interesting and helpful man too. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my Jupiter-9 I looked for a hood also. No "in-built hood" so I found THIS and I bought it. Very usefull and very similar with Novacon schemas.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it too, and glued to it the plastic pentax 85 shade.

My jupiter shade has 70 m m x 65 mm.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my Jupter 9 with the Russian hood designed for it

and closer

and the other metal hood I use with it too

The plastic hood is also supposedly for the original Tair-11 and Helios 44. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Astron looks very usefull.

It's a shame that the j-9 is so prone to flare, 'cos it's a great portrait lens.

Nothing is perfect.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true Rino, but I wouldn't be without it! Very Happy The Astron hood came with a Pentax Takumar 4/100 macro, I use it with a lot of lenses, it is extremely useful.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.techtheman.com/2008/03/jupiter9-85mm-f20-test-shots.html

And you can search for 49mm metal lens hood in this ebay wonderful seller by the name heavystar

http://myworld.ebay.com/heavystar/

and his latest item is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360202869580

Not only it is a lens hood but it also includes the matching lens cap for the lens hood, which is bigger as in 58mm or something bigger. That way, I have the lens hood always mounted to protect the lens.

Hope this helps you,
Hin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of hoods, what hoods would one buy for old lenses? petal? round?
When I asked in a local camera shop, they told me that each lens has a hood especially designed for it... so is buying a "regular" 52mm \ 49mm thread hood a good thing to do?