Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soft focus portraits MC Jupiter 9 85mm f/2 Pentax K10d
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Soft focus portraits MC Jupiter 9 85mm f/2 Pentax K10d Reply with quote

Here are the latest shots. Almost all f/2.8 (It's a crazy sample of Jupiter, so I was afraid to shoot wide open)

Last edited by Salatik on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the EXIF, I notice the focal length is set to 50mm but you are using a sufficiently high shutter speed...setting the SR to 85mm should sharpen them right up as it seems SR isn't "compensating" enough and they almost have a motion blur look. I've done it more times than I care to admit Embarassed

#4, however, is spot on to my eyes Cool I'm a fan of the desaturated/old style toning when done sparingly Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them too... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
I like them too... Wink

Me too!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan s wrote:
In the EXIF, I notice the focal length is set to 50mm but you are using a sufficiently high shutter speed...setting the SR to 85mm should sharpen them right up as it seems SR isn't "compensating" enough and they almost have a motion blur look. I've done it more times than I care to admit Embarassed

OMG! Very Happy You are right! I use near 50mm lenses as a rule, and looks like I've forgotten to change stabilizer settings. Anyway it helps to get crazy effects so I will to do this again Smile
Thanks for advice!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thanks to you guys for comments of course.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the model, the setting and the post processing, but many shots are defocused or motion blurred unfortunately. Better give up some ISO and have a faster shutter speed. Don't forget that stabilizer alone can not do the shot, unless your model is perfectly still (something that often deprives the photo of a lot of expression), your shutter time must be able to freeze your subject, so a time of 1/125 is the minimum.
I never photograph models slower than 1/250 unless I really can not do otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I like the model, the setting and the post processing, but many shots are defocused or motion blurred unfortunately. Better give up some ISO and have a faster shutter speed. Don't forget that stabilizer alone can not do the shot, unless your model is perfectly still (something that often deprives the photo of a lot of expression), your shutter time must be able to freeze your subject, so a time of 1/125 is the minimum.
I never photograph models slower than 1/250 unless I really can not do otherwise.

This isn't defocus or motion blur, this is incorrect setting for build-in stabilizer. I've forgot to change it from 50mm to 85, and got some unpredictable result. It wasn't doing specially, but I like a final result because it's looking more interesting than a standart sharp result.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results! FWIW: it's not a problem of the incorrect focal length setting for the SR. Because if it was set at 50mm then it would also prevent camera shake, only a little less good than at 85m.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, #1 and #2 are clearly defocused (back focused), the sharp neck shows that there was no problem of camera stabilization. #3 is front-focused (see hair which is sharp). All this are defocusing problems (unless one of course does that on purpose as aesthetic choice).
What you call soft focus here does not really depend on camera shake (in my opinion), rather on defocusing or on partial subject motion (see last picture, if it was a camera stabilization problem you would have blur on all parts of the image equally, instead you have, on nearly the same plane, sharp hair and slightly blurred earring).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Well, #1 and #2 are clearly defocused (back focused), the sharp neck shows that there was no problem of camera stabilization. #3 is front-focused (see hair which is sharp).

I don't agree with you at all. #3 - look hair is sharp in front and in back, why? Is it front back focus? Or back front focus? Shocked

And on 1st picture neck looks more sharp because it's closer to center of frame, and of course resolution and sharpness are better there.