Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Exakta lenses with bulge on EOS?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Exakta lenses with bulge on EOS? Reply with quote

So far, the only Exakta lenses that I have are without the bulge.
I was curious to know if there is a problem in mounting lenses with bulge
on a Canon 5D / 5D Mark II
I am speaking of mount issues only, not of mirror clearing issues.
Will the bulge prevent the mounting of the lens?
Has the bulge any automation feature that would prevent the lens from stopping down manually?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Exakta lenses with bulge on EOS? Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Has the bulge any automation feature that would prevent the lens from stopping down manually?

Whats the bulge ? Is it the protruding arm that doubles up as the Auto/Manual aperture selector and shutter button on Exakta cameras?Pls. clarify.

Orio , just adding this page that may cover all your bulge concerns.

http://forum.mflenses.com/trioplan-n-100mm-auto-exakta-mount-t42851.html

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Exakta lenses with bulge on EOS? Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:

Whats the bulge ? Is it the protruding arm that doubles up as the Auto/Manual aperture selector and shutter button on Exakta cameras?Pls. clarify.

Yes, I guess is that. I don't have any Exakta cameras so I can not confirm. Rolling Eyes

Kathmandu wrote:

Thanks, so it seems it is reasonably safe to buy a lens with "arm" (bulge) in order to mount it on the 5D ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Exakta lenses with bulge on EOS? Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
Orio wrote:

Cheers

that kind of bulge is safe I guess, but the more common bulge is longer one that will hit flash on Canon APS-C (1000D, 40D 50D those I tested with) usually Carl Zeiss has this longer bulge. While Meyer & Schneider has shorter one. IMHO, Sorry I don't have Full frame. and this opinion based only with my lenses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'arm' of the N trioplan is very thin - it mounts fine with 5D.
On the other hand i have tried the 2/50 Pancolar and it doesn't mount to the adapter. The problem is one small square of metal ( about 1mm in height). If you can mill it down or unscrew it ( it is held by 2 small screws) it will mount.

Here are the pictures of how it looks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most auto lenses will need to have the button pressed to stop down the aperture. Some have a lock that puts them into "manual" mode (Steinheil ones do I think).

Exakta lenses are happiest on Exakta bodies. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 what std says for the Flektogon 35/2.8 that I own, it will only mount on my 5D on extension tubes because of the 1mm thick pad. However, I haven't tried to unscrew the pad. I assume the screws did something other than hold the pad in place. Perhaps that is all they do?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Std & martin are right. I forgot about this. I unscrew that part of all my CZ exakta lenses (same Pancolar 50/2, Flek 20/4, 25/4, tessar 50/2,8 ). One lens cannot be unscrewed so I must grind it to fit adapter.
This is not happen with my schneider kreuznah curtagon 28/4 & Isco Gottingen westrocolor 50/1,9 in exakta. adapter fit nice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Exakta lenses with bulge on EOS? Reply with quote

Hi,
I must receive the Exakta-eos adapter this week and then will report how does the TRIOPLAN 100mm Auto "fits" in Canon 5d2..

Orio wrote:
Kathmandu wrote:

Yes, I guess is that. I don't have any Exakta cameras so I can not confirm. Rolling Eyes

Kathmandu wrote:

Thanks, so it seems it is reasonably safe to buy a lens with "arm" (bulge) in order to mount it on the 5D ?

Based on Klaus post reply, I did expect no problems, anyway just won this weekend an Exakta Camera plus lenses (Exakta Varex IIa, just in case Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have meyer trioplan 100mm, the chrome color. It does fit 5d, but mirror doesnt clear. there is protuding at the back. It still can be used on live view mode though

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile most EOS-Exakta adapters have two slots for the lens mounting. So when mounting a Zeiss or Steinheil lens with auto-diaphragm, the lens can be mounted in a position that will not interfere with that stupid protuding prism nose of the 5DII.
Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!