Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contarex Cyclops + Planar 2/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Contarex Cyclops + Planar 2/50 Reply with quote

Today at the camera fair in Castel San Giovanni I bought a Contarex Cyclops with Planar 2/50
(yes! the mythical 2/50 Planar at last!) for a mere 300 Euros.
In the past, for the same combo, I have been asked for 600 or 700 Euros.
In general, I found the prices in this fair to have dropped considerably. A lot of good deals could be made.
At the fair I also met Marco Cavina, in great shape. He inspected shortly my cam and said mechanically it's ok which comforted me a lot
(used Contarexes can be difficult cameras).
By the way, Marco is a super fan of the Planar 2/50, he said to me that he considers it the best 50mm ever made.
I have shot a roll of Kodac Color 200 (the only film I could find at the fair), we'll see how it turns out.
I had to use the sunny 16 method for exposure, because the selenium meter in the Contarex is, like most of them, dead.

P.S. in the hand, full metal, it feels and weights like a weapon (n/k)
If terminators did film photography, that's what they would use Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! The Contarex was, and still is, on my list. But I never managed to find one at a normal price. I do agree about the 50/2 Planar.

You say that the prices have dropped considerably; do you know why (the financial crisis)?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

You say that the prices have dropped considerably; do you know why (the financial crisis)?

I guess so. Here's some of the prices I found:
Contax Planar 1.4/50 like new (MM) with box and papers: 120 Eur.
Contax Planar 2/135 like new (AEG), also with box and papers, 670 Eur.
Contax Distagon 1.4/35 like new (AEG), box and papers, 600 something Eur.
all the above with 3 months guarantee
Last year, Distagon 1.4/35 was for sale at 900 Euros and the Planar 135 the same price - Planar 1.4/50 last year was 200 or more.
There was also the Distagon Hollywood but I did not ask the price of it.
There was a lot of Hasselblads and a lot of Rollei bioptics all in great going for around 400-500-600 Euros (can't remember models)
All old Nikkors were practically on bargain sale - except for a luxurious Nippon Kogaku 5cm f 1.1 rangefinder lens which looked like new and was on sale for... 4000 Eur. Shocked
But it looked so good that I could not take my eyes off it every time I passed around Rolling Eyes
There were lots of Pentax 6x7 cameras with Takumar lenses, I did not ask for the prices but being from the same sellers that had cheap prices on other items, I expect them to be good priced too.
Leica R lenses nearly thrown away, like Summicron-R 50 priced nearly like a Contax Planar 1.4/50 (it used to be near double)
Lots of Voigtlaender lenses and cameras quite cheap.
There was only a couple sellers resisting with "older" prices on some items like 75 Biotars - but they did not sell anything when I was there.
I guess some sellers are tired of not selling anything and started to discount a lot.
Oh there were good deals on new AF lenses too - I saw a Canon EF 2/135 new and boxed selling for 800 Euros (normally 1000 Euros here in shops)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. I saw a Bessa II folder looking like new (really) sold for 350 Euros... but I have no idea if that was a good price or not.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are very interesting prices, Orio. I have yet to see such low prices here in The Netherlands. We'll see next november when the famous Houten show is held again...

Orio wrote:
P.S. I saw a Bessa II folder looking like new (really) sold for 350 Euros... but I have no idea if that was a good price or not.

Bessas came with several types of lens: Vaskar (3 element), Skopar (4 element), Heliar (5 element) and the famous Apo-Lanthar. It's hard to say without knowing the lens, but I suppose it was the Skopar, then the price sounds about right.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW1! This cam looks gorgeous!

WOW2! These price are low! 120€ for a 1.4/50 Zeiss or a Cron 50? Fantastic!

I hope (but don't expect) that the prices also have dropped in Solms in autumn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for your new gem!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! beautiful body, I'll wait for the sunny 16 series

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks neat! Can't wait to see the pics.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Those are very interesting prices, Orio. I have yet to see such low prices here in The Netherlands. We'll see next november when the famous Houten show is held again...
What is the exact date of the Houten camera fair?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Contarex Cyclops + Planar 2/50 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

If terminators did film photography, that's what they would use Laughing

The "fattest" 35mm camera I have ever held in my hands is the Praktica FX.
Thats a beast.

Nice find btw.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one beautiful camera, and Orio, your photo makes it look even more alluring.

I wasn't going to post this ad from 1960 till tomorrow, but do I really have a choice? Laughing

Zeiss Ikon Contarex Cyclops 1960 by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nesster! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handsome beast, Orio! I think its nickname is "Bullseye".

But "Cyclops" is much more descriptive. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing camera!!

Contarex is my dream but with the Biogon 21 Smile

congtrats!

tf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
amazing camera!!
Contarex is my dream but with the Biogon 21 Smile
congtrats!
tf

Thanks Stan
I know you like it awkward but the Biogon on the Contarex is probably awkwarder than even you would like Wink
If you want to use the old Biogon 21 better to get a Contax rangefinder.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: ........ Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

the Best Bessa II is that with Apo-Lanthar....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ........ Reply with quote

metallaro1980 wrote:
Orio wrote:

the Best Bessa II is that with Apo-Lanthar....

It is also the most radio-active Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh beautiful!! Congrats!!! I've been "eye"ing the Cyclops for a while, but like you, haven't found a price that's justifiable Very Happy

And those prices you mention are great. I wonder if that will somehow translate to Ebay prices at some point, as where I am, we never get those kinds of great camera fairs.. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Handsome beast, Orio! I think its nickname is "Bullseye".

But "Cyclops" is much more descriptive. Wink

Bullseye in the US, Cyclops in the UK Smile

http://www.oceanlight.com/log/zeiss-ikon-contarex-camera-and-lenses-for-sale.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very nice, and the price was more than reasonable too! Smile

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks a sweet example of this camera. I'll be interested in the results.

Best wishes, Kris.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have purchased a non-Cyclops Contarex with the Planar 50/2 and what appears to be a Distagon 35/2. And a weird Japanese looking telephoto lens (?). Weird. I didn't ask too many questions, since I didn't want the seller to start researching and find out that he was selling the kit for less than half what it could really fetch Laughing I'll report back once I receive it.

Last edited by rawhead on Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Congratulations!

Thanks! But too early to celebrate.. might get a total lemon Laughing Fingers crossed!