Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 6 adapter question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 6 adapter question Reply with quote

Hello, this is my first post here. When I am googeling about lenses most of the time I end up here. Very Happy
I just received a nice Biometar 80/2.8 and wanted to try it out with my P6 to 4/3 adapter. That adapter is now on my CZ Sonnar 180/2.8.
The problem is I can't get it off.
I don't want to put to much force on it. Is there a thing I forgot or should know about?
Any ideas?

Thank you, Michiel

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentacon 6 adapter question Reply with quote

Sculptur wrote:
Hello, this is my first post here. When I am googeling about lenses most of the time I end up here. Very Happy
I just received a nice Biometar 80/2.8 and wanted to try it out with my P6 to 4/3 adapter. That adapter is now on my CZ Sonnar 180/2.8.
The problem is I can't get it off.
I don't want to put to much force on it. Is there a thing I forgot or should know about?
Any ideas?

Thank you, Michiel

Make sure you're twisting the retainer ring the right way. Lookin from the FRONT of the lens, the ring needs to turn counter clock-wise. It was probably tightened too far the other direction. You just need to use a lot of force. Good luck Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have had the same problem , trouble is that my adapter didn't have marks that could help me determine which way to turn the ring. so when i got it off one time i made marks that align adapter in open position.

get a rubber glove to help you

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still not sure. When I take of the lensmount cap from the Biometar I have to turn it counterclockwise when i look at the lensmount side.
Should I do not the same to take of the adapter?

Thanks for your quick replys Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grab the adapter with your right hand and turn the adapter ring to the right with your left.just checked it on mine

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the quick answer is that the threads are reversed. Turn opposite direction than is intuitive.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sculptur wrote:
I am still not sure. When I take of the lensmount cap from the Biometar I have to turn it counterclockwise when i look at the lensmount side.
Should I do not the same to take of the adapter?

Thanks for your quick replys Smile

Michiel, As rawhead said, when the mount end of the adapter is facing you, the locking ring has to turn clockwise to unlock. When the front element of the lens is facing you the ring is turned anticlockwise to unlock. It sometimes takes a lot of force.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the direction the ring has to be twisted to loosen.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, now I know for sure. At first the info was a little confusing.
I have to go to my studio and use a tool (in cloth) to get it loose.
Me, always opening every jampot for the ladys Sad
The thing is really glued on it right now.
Now I have to wait till saturday. No time.
I will post some pics with the lens, if I ever get it of.

Merci, Michiel

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i posted earlier, use a rubber glove to unscrew the adapter

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rubber glove didn't work.
I do need a tool. Sad

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the adapter I use.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These adaptors seem to almost friction-weld themselves on if they're tightened just that little bit too much. It will come off - try a rag soaked in hot water and squeezed dry.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to use an oil filter wrench, you can get it at most hardware stores.

Note: get one that is using a rubber band.

e.g.
[/img]

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

Where do you get those strap filter wrenches in HK? I need a small one.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sculptur wrote:
This is the adapter I use.

Looks like a cheap Chinese-made adapter as it is very similar in looks to my (now discarded due to low quality) P6->m42-adapters.

I had similar problems and then realized, that I was turning the ring to the wrong direction. Looking from the side of the adapter one should turn clockwise, ie. the opposite direction to what feels intuitive.

Last edited by Anu on Mon May 31, 2010 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilson.c wrote:
Alex,

Where do you get those strap filter wrenches in HK? I need a small one.

I got one (but left it in China) from a hardware store. Most important is to get one with a rubber belt.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all, I got it loose.
Finally did it with a grip I use to tighten pieces of glewed wood together.
Must have tighten it further and further because I forgot it turns the opposite derection.
One of these days I will post some pics with my won Biometar as a reward (I hope Very Happy )for your help.

Michiel

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! OK, now's the time to put a mark on the knurled locking ring in line with red dot, so you can see which way it needs to be turned Wink