Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My Jupiter-8 50mm f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: My Jupiter-8 50mm f2 Reply with quote

Finally I got a m39 to m43 adapter, so I can try this nice lens from my old Zorki4. The camera, that made all pictures of me since my birth to 10-15 years ago.

This is actually the first photo made with this lens on digital camera. Taken down from a working Zorki4 siiting on a shielf.

Of course low light, f2 at 1/50s. ISO was 1250 on Olympus E-PM1. As with all manual lenses, I had a lot of fidling with manual focusing before I press the shuter. My daughter Katja was a model this time durring homework. She is very calm durring writing, so I had time to focus on her eyes. I can't imagine to focus object in moviment.

Last edited by david_b on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice lens, and nice sample.
Which version is yours?. The silver one or the black one?.
Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice result. You'll enjoy the J8 a lot I expect, I have several copies and will never sell them, one of the best ways to obtain top performance at low price imho.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also dozen of copies, enjoy this great lens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!
Enjoy it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's to all who replied.

I like the "look" of lens. Small and fits very nice on E-PM1. the adapter is also very thin, not like for M42. I have also a M39 Industar 50 f3.5 somewhere to test.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My Jupiter-8 50mm f2 Reply with quote

david_b wrote:
Finally I got a m39 to m43 adapter, so I can try this nice lens from my old Zorky4. The camera, that made all pictures of me since my birth to 10-15 years ago.

M43? I think you mean M42.

Is now a bad time to mention it's Zorki not Zorky. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He, he. Damn y. Not the first time I made this mistake.

But m43 should be OK. Maybe micro43 or mFT or whatever it is called. Those Olympus small cameras. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one - congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good portrait of your child.
Try the same with B&W film instead of digital. This type of photo will be better, and your Jupiter will give it's best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today we had some work to do, something to do with olives Very Happy
I didn't have much time for photos, but one with Jupiter was done.

As always on Olympus E-PM1, ISO200, 1/1250s, f5,6:

Nothing special. Just an ordinary useless photo.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great olives photo, best time of the year this is for olive oil lovers Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to try mines out! I found one from 1954, I read on this site that the earlier ones could be sharper. It even has that red dot for multi coating.

Those olives look sharp.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: My Jupiter-8 50mm f2 Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
david_b wrote:
Finally I got a m39 to m43 adapter, so I can try this nice lens from my old Zorky4. The camera, that made all pictures of me since my birth to 10-15 years ago.

M43? I think you mean M42.

he probably meant m43, because he is using this lens on Olympus Pen camera

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a long time since I used Jupiter 8, so few days ago, I take it with me to a walk (it sounds like it is my dog ) Very Happy

The light was very pour, so I just take two photos to see what we have.

First at f2. Very soft.

Second at f5.6 or f8. This is sharper I think.

And after few minutes fiddling with camera, the sun behind the clouds peeped. And here we have colours.

It is little sad, because at f2 is not very sharp. The helios is better in wide open.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is lens serial number ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely photos you posted, thank you for sharing them here. Your daughter probably was thinking there is Dad again with his camera, don't move until I hear the click!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss reissued 50mm F 1.5 Sonnar for that very reason-it is not meant to be pin prick sharp wide open like a 50mm F 2.0 Planar. Your Jupiter 8 is a Sonnar type lens correct? Helios is a Biotar like (double gauss) lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
What is lens serial number ?

6620287 There is a picture on the first page.

I have also the black version with serial 02****, but not tested it yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days after Lena's post about Jupiter8 I played a little with it. Two crops, one at f2 other at f5,6. No PP here.

It seems that at wide open is soft. Also the other copy I have (newer, black one) is softer.

This is from today durring a cofee time, a shot if I remember not wide open, but 2,8-4. Don't remember. Still very soft if compared to helios 44 or konica AR50 or other AF zuiko lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actual lens can be dirty, very fine scratched or simple tampered in past and wrongly built back and finally a Monday lens Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Actual lens can be dirty, very fine scratched or simple tampered in past and wrongly built back and finally a Monday lens Smile

it seems to be very clean inside (as far as I understand this) except one single piece of powder. Maybe I have two monday lenses. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing yes, probably Sad every week has Monday so easy to find one, hunt earliest clean copy as possible, you will shocked...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still working on Jupiter 8. I don't know why but today it seems better copy Very Happy