Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus XA fixed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Olympus XA fixed Reply with quote

Seeing so much noise on that wonderful MJU II, I recalled having a spare XA pending for fixes, so I wanted to compare.
After a careful cleaning, replacing the light seals and putting fresh silver´-oxide batteries, I drop in a 12 shot roll film. This time, Konica VX200 expired since 08/2003. Just to see if the camera had light leaks and the electronics were fine for measuring and shooting.
No time to develop and scan at home, so I relayed on the lab. Cheap scan.

The camera itself: The "dirty" looking of the surface is due to the loss of the decorative finishing. Quite usual on the XA series if used often.

And some samples:

The closest distance the lens can focus:

Some more samples:

Being expired film I think the results are promising.
Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Olympus XA fixed Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

Is this somewhere around roads C-31 C-32. I think I drove the smaller road in 2004 on our honeymoon, first I ever drove in Spain. From Barcelona airport to Sitges. Thought that the smaller road would be easier to drive. Bad choice! Road was full of heavy local traffic with average speed about 110km/h. Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympus XA fixed Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:

Is this somewhere around roads C-31 C-32. I think I drove the smaller road in 2004 on our honeymoon, first I ever drove in Spain. From Barcelona airport to Sitges. Thought that the smaller road would be easier to drive. Bad choice! Road was full of heavy local traffic with average speed about 110km/h. Shocked

Good eye!. It's just as you mention, both C-31 and C-32 merge at the tunnels entrance, the small road is the local C-245, a snakey narrow road that saves oneself for paying a toll of 5,36€ for 8Km highway...
I pass twice per day so it's a considerable saving at the end of the month, only takes 12 minutes more and is plenty of nice places where to stop to shot a picture. Wink

Nice to know you spent the honeymoon in my village Smile

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good results from that, Jes.
My XA is starting to show the same scabby appearance, I think it's a laquer coat or something similar.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
My XA is starting to show the same scabby appearance, I think it's a laquer coat or something similar.

Thanks David. Do you know if there is any way of restoring it?. I'm afraid all my XAs share the same problem...

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Royal Navy visited Sitges a couple of hundred years ago:-
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/sitgescannon.jpg

I visited 2 years ago, to go to a wedding.

edit: Found a snap of the beach at Sitges, the wedding was in the pink church in the distance.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/sitges.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thinks the appearance adds character.

It looks like it gives reasonable results.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I had an XA years ago. It was handy to keep in a shirt pocket. Once in Malawi, I arrived at the airport a few hours ahead of Prince Charles, but because I didn't have proper accreditation, they confiscated all my Nikon gear -- but they missed the XA in my pocket! I got some great photos with XA on that trip, should dig them out. (And two weeks later, I was able to pry my Nikon gear out of customs!)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Farside wrote:

Thanks David. Do you know if there is any way of restoring it?. I'm afraid all my XAs share the same problem...

Regards.
Jes.

If it is a laquer, I'd be wary of using a solvent in case it attacks the plastic, so that leaves the option of sanding it off, which is quite do-able with fine grades that will leave a smooth enough surface with the finer finish grade. After that, it might be possible to re-coat it with laquer, but whether it's worth all that bother, it's up to you. Wink If I was doing it, I'd strip it down first anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
... If I was doing it, I'd strip it down first anyway.

That it what I was afraid of... I've been able to remove most of the old lacquer with Isopropylic alcohol and a lot of patience...
No worth to disassembly the camera just for cosmetic issues.

Now I'm fixing the XA2 that is in much better external shape. Smile

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
I've been able to remove most of the old lacquer with Isopropylic alcohol and a lot of patience...

That's useful to know - and I have a bottle of that handy, too. The coating on mine seems to have started being eaten away by finger grease and acids - probably some careless moment years ago. Fish and chips and cameras don't go together Wink