Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Complete list of Helios lenses - getting closer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
sandro wrote:
Hi guys I was able to get the Helios 81H as a gift, do you think I can get the same amazing swirly bokeh you can achieve with the Helios 44-2 or the fewer blades won't allow it?

It swirls, bit less than early 44, but still swirls, don't worry!

Thanks Smile Let's see Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newcomer in the list? Smile

Received it not long time ago
R-Helios-100-OS 100mm/2.5

It's a lens designed to Oscillographe photography (why? I don't know).
Design is not Helios type. R-Helios lenses is 8 elements in 5 group, no relation to Biotar.

Not tested yet, but what I found on the .ru net show pretty bad IQ.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey everyone, new here Smile.

I have a Helios 44-2 zebra, but im not sure what year its from lol i was trying to use the chart. im more used to the last serial digit or starting digit is the year with ussr glass.
here is photos of it (excuse the bad quality its from my phone)

Edit, not sure why my photos are not working ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRaZiGLiTcH wrote:

I have a Helios 44-2 zebra, but im not sure what year its from lol i was trying to use the chart. im more used to the last serial digit or starting digit is the year with ussr glass.

Images not showing is some kind of antispam feature for first posts. The Helios is probably from 1970, the MMZ factory at that time used only the last number of the production year (in this case 0) as the first number of the serial.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRaZiGLiTcH wrote:

Spam prevention , take it off to new comers.

From now it will works, welcome to aboard!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks for the info, adn thanks for the welcome. i will try to be active on here.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Helios 44-3 "new" vs "old" year? Reply with quote

Hello. One of the first posts in this thread (by no-X) pointed out the two variations of the 44-3.

He stated:
44-3 MC - old model - protruding focusing ring (e.g. 1986)
44-3 MC - new model (e.g. 1993)

My question is - what year did they start producing the "new" model. I ask because I'm interested in picking up a copy of this lens but want the newer version and I'm seeing some with a serial number starting at 92****. Looking at photos of auction listings it's often hard to tell which ones have the protruding focusing ring ("old" model).

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this topic.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought another Helios-44M for my collection Happy Dog

You can see my other 44Ms here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/the-ultimate-helios-44m-collection-t71234.html
I wonder if MMZ Helios-44M with normal lettering (non-cyrillic) and Valdai cyrillic lettering 44M exist?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: What to do with a fake Helios 44M-7 Reply with quote

When I started checking out FSU SLR lenses I decided to buy a Helios 44M-7, mostly intrigued by the higher resolution claimed for this model.

What you see in these photographs was my first attempt. It was listed as an "Early Version" of the lens. Long before it was delivered I discovered how I had been had. This lens has eight blades, the M-7 has six. This lens has a manual/auto switch, the M-7 doesn't. This lens was produced in 1980, the M-7 didn't come out until the 1990s.

So I bought a real 44M-7 and waited for the fake to be delivered. It wasn't a lot of money so I just decided to bite the bullet. Two months and many messages to the seller later and still no lens. Eventually I filed a claim with Ebay and was refunded.

That was almost two months ago. Suddenly the lens arrives at my home. It is in beautiful condition though the focus ring is much too stiff.

So what do I do? I can't sell it as a 44M-7. I don't know what model it really is. I would send it back to the seller but I am not going to pay the postage to return a lens to a seller who was out to cheat me in the first place.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your "44M-7" is actually a Helios-44M. You can tell by the silver A/M switch (later Helios 44 designs did not have it). It also lacks multicoating (all the 44M-7s had it).

Last edited by Humulus on Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humulus wrote:
Your "44M-7" is actually a Helios-44M. You can tell by the silver A/M switch (later Helios 44 designs did not have it).

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
Humulus wrote:
Your "44M-7" is actually a Helios-44M. You can tell by the silver A/M switch (later Helios 44 designs did not have it).

Thank you.

I agree with Humulus. But I also want to point out the Helios 44M is a very heavy version due to biger metal parts in relationship with other Helios-44, my experience told me the 44M is a good lens mechanically speaking. Test the lens and told as about. If you want to sell it, tell it is a 44M with a fake M7 name ring. I am collecting genuine Helios-44, when I get all the version I will buy fakes ones as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotografiasol wrote:
newst wrote:
Humulus wrote:

Thank you.

I agree with Humulus. But I also want to point out the Helios 44M is a very heavy version due to biger metal parts in relationship with other Helios-44, my experience told me the 44M is a good lens mechanically speaking. Test the lens and told as about. If you want to sell it, tell it is a 44M with a fake M7 name ring. I am collecting genuine Helios-44, when I get all the version I will buy fakes ones as well.

Sounds like a plan. I might just keep it for when you are ready. Rolling Eyes

One question, how will you know when you have all the versions? Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:

Good one Laugh 1
I myself focus on collecting the 44Ms only. I'm getting close to having all its varieties.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
fotografiasol wrote:
newst wrote:
Humulus wrote:

Thank you.

Sounds like a plan. I might just keep it for when you are ready. Rolling Eyes

I'll never know for sure exactly if I have all versions, given the high number of them, and difficult historical tracking, but everything in life has some uncertainty. But forums like this allow us to know a lot of history.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

I've decided to purchase an Helios 44-2 58mm in search of the gorgeous swirl bokeh, but I'm not sure which version I've found.
The serial number looks like it is from 1983 (83450192), but reading the first post of this topic says that there are 1983 copies from JOV plant and from MMZ plant…
Body is black and lettering is colored.
Serial number is on the barrel, not on the front.
Wich version is this?
It is from KMZ, JOV or MMZ plant?

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the JOV plant.

See, the logos here

http://pierretizien-photos.blogspot.com.ar/p/sur-cette-page-vous-trouverez-les.html

[quote="jrsilva"]Hello!

I've decided to purchase an Helios 44-2 58mm in search of the gorgeous swirl bokeh, but I'm not sure which version I've found.
The serial number looks like it is from 1983 (83450192), but reading the first post of this topic says that there are 1983 copies from JOV plant and from MMZ plant…
Wich version is this?

Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! Smile

[quote="fotografiasol"]From the JOV plant.

See, the logos here

http://pierretizien-photos.blogspot.com.ar/p/sur-cette-page-vous-trouverez-les.html

jrsilva wrote:
Hello!

Wich version is this?

Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one more question;
The iris diaphragm opens and closes opposite from the scale…
I mean when I rotate to f/2 on the scale it closes the diaphragm, and when I rotate to f/16 it opens full.

Are there more copies of the Helios 44-2 like this?
Is this a normal defect?
Or the previous owner could have opened the lens (to clean or something) and then could't mount it right?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrsilva wrote:
Just one more question;
I mean when I rotate to f/2 on the scale it closes the diaphragm, and when I rotate to f/16 it opens full.

Is this a normal defect?
Or the previous owner could have opened the lens (to clean or something) and then could't mount it right?

It's normal. Preset system works like this on Helios-44 (and some other soviet lenses).
Some consider it's more logic.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrsilva wrote:
Just one more question;

Is this a normal defect?

Hi jr,

Are ye using the aperture ring (the second ring from the front of the lens?

Ye set the preset ring (first ring at the front) at say f4 - aligning it with the red dot, ye then close the aperture ring anti-clockwise and the ring will stop at that preset f stop with the diaphragm set . If set at f16 then the aperture ring has tae be closed all the way then ye'll see the f16 aperture. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:
jrsilva wrote:
Just one more question;

Is this a normal defect?

Hi jr,

Ye set the preset ring (first ring at the front) at say f4 - aligning it with the red dot, ye then close the aperture ring anti-clockwise and the ring will stop at that preset f stop with the diaphragm set . If set at f16 then the aperture ring has tae be closed all the way then ye'll see the f16 aperture. Cool

Thank you Pierre.

TAo2, I don't get it...
I've never used an Helios 44 before and the previous owner didn't gave me any instructions about how to use it.
The first ring on the front of the lens (where there are printed the f/ numbers) is fixed.
The second ring (the one with the Red dot) open and close the iris (this ring it's very loose by the way), and that's the only ring I'm using to control the iris.
Then there's the moving barrel that controls focus and a last ring, close to the mount, that is also fixed.
I'm I missing something?

In the meantime, I can't mount the lens on my camera right now because I'm still waiting for the adapter that is on is way from Hong Kong.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:
jrsilva wrote:
Just one more question;

Is this a normal defect?

Hi jr,

Now that I'm at home with the lens in front of me I've managed to see what you mean.
I didn't noticed this feature before Smile
I've played a bit with the preset ring, but It's a bit confusing because of the inverted aperture scale.

I will shoot only between f/2 and f/2.8, and so I've placed the lock at f/2.8.
So it is now only open between f/2 and f/2.8.
I think this way I know exactly where f/2.8 is.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fault jr, ah wasn't clear enough...There are two red dots on the lens, one at the front of the lens and one on the aperture ring.

The first photo below shows...

the top arrow pointing to the red dot on the lens barrel- it doesn't move.
the middle arrow points to the preset ring @ f16
the bottom arrow points at the aperture ring- fully closed.

the preset ring will move, it is often very stiff, especially if the lens hasn't been used frequently.

The second photo shows the lens preset ring at f4, lined up with the front red dot and the aperture ring closed down so that the diaphragm is opened to f4

The best way is to open the aperture ring wide open (clockwise), then adjust the preset ring to the required f number, then close the aperture ring fully, anti-clockwise. The lens isn't "wrongly" set up, that's the way preset lenses are... Cool

Must have been writing as you were posting... Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:
My fault jr, ah wasn't clear enough...There are two red dots on the lens, one at the front of the lens and one on the aperture ring.

The first photo below shows...

the top arrow pointing to the red dot on the lens barrel- it doesn't move.
the middle arrow points to the preset ring @ f16
the bottom arrow points at the aperture ring- fully closed.

the preset ring will move, it is often very stiff, especially if the lens hasn't been used frequently.

The second photo shows the lens preset ring at f4, lined up with the front red dot and the aperture ring closed down so that the diaphragm is opened to f4

The best way is to open the aperture ring wide open (clockwise), then adjust the preset ring to the required f number, then close the aperture ring fully, anti-clockwise. The lens isn't "wrongly" set up, that's the way preset lenses are... Cool

Must have been writing as you were posting... Like 1 small

Thank you for spending your time to describe with pictures how the preset works.
In fact, the ring was so stiff that I've never thought that it would move.
My version of the Helios 44 is different from yours.
I don't have the first red dot on top. I only have a small red dot on the aperture ring itself (the second ring from the top).
But I've managed to lock the aperture on the f/2.8, so now it only moves from f/2 to f/2.8 just like I wanted.
I will get used to have in mind that when I set f/2 on the aperture ring t really means f/2.8 Wink
Anyway, I will see the difference on the viewfinder.