Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First Roll of TMAX100 on Canon A1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: First Roll of TMAX100 on Canon A1 Reply with quote

Here is my first roll of TMAX100 on Canon A1 with FD 50/1.8, developed by local store. I think they have high contrast.
Need comment or advise. Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Mike.
Indeed they look contrasty, specially #2: darkest parts totally black and no detail in brightest either. Did you scan prints or negatives? Not knowing it's difficult to guess the problem (if any). Then how was the light when you took the shots (e.g. bright sunlight, or rainy or overcast)? Many variables are involved.

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty, Thanks. They are developed and scanned at store. It seems I have to find another store for this film.
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the negatives ? Let's say the 2nd one. Do yo see any texture in the bike tires or the car ones? How about the ground behind the car tire? If you see clearly detail there then is probably just a poor scan job.
If you do not see anything there then could be underexposure, but difficult to say without seeing the neg. What caused the U/E is just matter of guess as for me, could be a human error or camera fault or maybe the contrast of the scene was simply beyond the latitude of the film. You see what I mean when I say many variables. All in in all is just your first BW film if I'm understanding right. First thing I'd check the camera meter against a trusted one (either another camera or an external one) just to be sure. If it's ok I 'd try then a different film, maybe it will match better with the shop developing workflow. BW film is rather different than C-41 color stuff, there is much more interaction within exposure and processing (many different options for development). Just check the darkroom section or bw gallery and you'll see what I mean. I hope I succeeded in giving you some good tip to point you in the right direction rather than make even more confusion Smile .

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that scanner auto exposure is often not set correctly; though it can yield 'good enough' scans, especially for small prints, detail can be lost. Seems to have something to do with the average tones of the scene.

If you scan the film yourself, you can manually adjust the dark and light points - it's better to get a scan that looks too flat and then to adjust it in post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty, thanks.
I check the film further, it seems I can see the car tire/ground and some detail on the saddle. It's auto scanning probelm. I shall ask the Store to rescan it.
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I like high contrast b&w, but this is too much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Tri-X and find it low contrast. I was expecting to see similar results.

It looks like the lowlights are clipped.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-Max is more contrasted than TX (reason why I like it better), but in this case it's surely the scanner's fault.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying Orio. I'll add to the ever-extending list of films to try.