Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A pro has got to start it young
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: A pro has got to start it young Reply with quote

On my usual round I caught sight of this young Nikonist and managed to capture her in action:

(Zebra Flek 4/50 at f/4 on 350D)

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! And the thing is, she really seems to know what she is doing!

Great snapshot!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Great! And the thing is, she really seems to know what she is doing!

Great snapshot!

Interesting to see how she's holding the camera. In portrait mode I always have my right hand at the top, am I strange? Maybe she's left-handed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She may not have the strength to both grip and hold the camera in a more conventional right hand uppermost portrait stance - notice how she has her right arm tight in against the front of her body.

My 9 year old niece had a photographic project to do for her school and so I let her use my Minolta DiMage 7i. First thing I noticed was that although the 7i isn't particularly big or heavy, she couldn't quite reach the shutter release and she remarked on the weight of the camera. She managed, but not in a conventional way.

I doubt she would have managed the 5D....

Nice image by the way Cool

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Peter and Bob: Very interesting observations!
This made me think. Strangely enough, I was not aware of how I hold my cam, I do not think about it. And I have just tried it: it depends on the cam, but with a SLR I mostly do it the way Peter does it.
Bob has a good point about strength and position of elbow.

Good to have you here, mates. A bit like CSI MFlenses. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

she has a good stance weight on one foot holding the camera as best as little hands can. My daughter has trouble looking through view finder with one eye. Tonight she said it looked all "funny" (blurred) I had to explain that it was a MF lens and that it did not focus itself like my sigma does Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ peter: I actually often hold mine the same way. My leading eye is my left eye, and I have an uncorrectable sharpness error on my right eye, so I hold the camera to my left, and that way I find holding the grip at the bottom of the camera is a little more convenient Smile

@ Veijo: nice image!

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very original take, congratulations.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
Attila wrote:
Cute!

This is exactly the word that came to mind for me.

Well captured vilva...

For the sake of interest, I have a different understanding of the word "cute". I've always used it to describe someone who is clever, sharp-witted, maybe even crafty or cunning. When someone has a good idea about how to do something, or finds a clever short-cut for example, I would say they were being cute, or had a cute idea. I suppose this is the English language evolving.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Seymore wrote:
Attila wrote:
Cute!

This is exactly the word that came to mind for me.

Well captured vilva...

For the sake of interest, I have a different understanding of the word "cute". I've always used it to describe someone who is clever, sharp-witted, maybe even crafty or cunning. When someone has a good idea about how to do something, or finds a clever short-cut for example, I would say they were being cute, or had a cute idea. I suppose this is the English language evolving.

Oxford English Dictionary gives also another meaning, originally U.S. colloquial usage and Schoolboy slang, now in general colloquial use, applied to people as well as things, with the sense 'attractive, pretty, charming', also 'attractive in a mannered way'. The first example is from 1834 so it isn't exactly recent. I've also seen usage where the meanings seem to overlap.

Veijo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
another meaning, originally U.S. colloquial usage and Schoolboy slang

Hmm Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, "cute" is a typical American word meaning "pretty, charming, sweet", often used for children and by American teenage girls. Wink

Often heard in the States, I've never heard it in England, really.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

What would be the British word for that, "pretty" perhaps?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting a little bit off-topic but here goes anyway. Collins Cobuild English Dictionary, which is based on analyzing language as it really is used, gives 'pretty' etc. as the main, general meaning of 'cute' in present usage, 'cute' meaning 'sexually attractive' as American English usage, and 'cute' meaning 'clever' etc. as mainly American English usage these days - this is the global, statistical view, and local usage may certainly differ, anywhere. The already slightly dated edition of this dictionary which I have derives the usage frequencies and quotes from a corpus of over two hundred million words of present-day English language text collected from all over the English speaking world.

Veijo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

What would be the British word for that, "pretty" perhaps?

Oh, "cute" is often used in English English, for both meanings, but possibly not as often as in USA. I've never used "cute" in the "charming, pretty" sense myself, but that doesn't mean it's incorrect. It just feels sickly-sweet to me.

I found a quotation from Agatha Christie which is exactly how I use the word: "She's far too cute to be caught out by that old trick".

Anyway, back on topic, I think the little girl with the Nikon is "cute" in both senses! Smile