Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

135mm lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: 135mm lens Reply with quote

I'm looking to get a 135mm lens, right now I am looking at either a Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm 3.5 or an Olympus Om 135mm 3.5.
Unless you guys have better/sharper lenses to suggest.
I want keep it at under a 100$ and with m42 or om mounts.

I have a question regarding the Carl Zeiss Jena, Ive seen multiple versions of the same one.
MC S
Sonnar
electric

Is there any difference between them?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Sonnars are good no much difference , Olympus also fine lens.

In fact 50mm and 135mm range lenses are all good at least some of them superb , but hard to find any bad one.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/sonnar/
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/Olympus_Om/Olympus_zuiko_135mm_f3_5/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila got there first - agree with his point Smile Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a pentax SMC takumar 135mm f/3.5?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

winmazing wrote:
What about a pentax SMC takumar 135mm f/3.5?

Lovely lens.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the bad exceptions is "Underground 2.8/135" Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter 37A or AM, very good and not as yet too expensive, very sharp lenses well worth trying

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the Jupiter-37 AM (135mm f/3.5), it has the same image quality than the CZJ Sonnar (for me, even a little better), and costs a lot less: normal price of CZJ is around 100 Euros, the price of Jupiter is typically around the 25-25 Euros (sometimes more, sometimes less).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: I want to suggest the Tair 11a Reply with quote

I have just started using a Tair 135 2.8 that I really like. Has spent a lot of time on the camera lately.
I also have a m42 Vivitar 135 2.8 and a Pentax M-135 3.5.

I really like the 2.8 versions for the oof area, but the M-135 3.5 is also a very nice lens.

As Attila said, it is hard to go wrong at this focal length.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, here's another recommendation for the Jupiter-37A.

I actually sold my pristine, boxed Sonnar 135 because of the similarities between it and the Jupiter-37A - okay, perhaps not the wisest move from a 'perhaps it'll increase even more in value' perspective, but I still feel that the Jupiters can be every bit as sharp and quirky when required.

I've got 1980 and 1982 copies and a 1990 MC version, and they're all very good - the Jupiter-11A 4/135 is another one worth considering for similar (or less) money.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Take the Jupiter-37 AM (135mm f/3.5), it has the same image quality than the CZJ Sonnar (for me, even a little better), and costs a lot less: normal price of CZJ is around 100 Euros, the price of Jupiter is typically around the 25-25 Euros (sometimes more, sometimes less).

There is also quality variation between samples. I have two MC Jupiter-37, one older and beaten up, and one brand-new, manufactured in 2005. Guess what? The old one is tack sharp, the new one... well, I guess there's something wrong with it.

On the other hand, I have two Takumar 135/3.5, one S-M-C and one Super. Both offer exactly the same sharpness and overall quality. I do prefer rendering of the older Super-Tak though (supposingly, it's a Type-I design with one extra lens inside).

So my advice would be getting a Super Takumar 135/3.5 (Type I has either nothing or 43540 engraved on the bottom of A/M switch, Type II with one lens less is always 43541. You can check or ask for that info before buying; http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/37316-super-taks-vs-s-m-c-taks.html post #8 ). They go for less than S-M-C versions by the way.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pick Sonnar MC version. But the price seems over $100. Jupiter-37 can be the 2nd option with about half price.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about the Pentacon 135mm f2.8 ?
I got one for cheap and it seems really good to me, but i'm far from being an expert. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
And what about the Pentacon 135mm f2.8 ?
I got one for cheap and it seems really good to me, but i'm far from being an expert. Smile

It's one of Attila's preferred lenses.
It has a fantastic bokeh. It's not as sharp as the Jena, Tak, Jupiter et c.
So I guess it depends on the use. If one plans to shoot mostrly portraits that could be the lens. For other type of shots however there are sharper lenses in the same price range.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also recommend Jupiter 37A / A - MC / AM - MC. I think it would be very hard to find anything sharper with round iris even for double (or even higher) price.

TAIR-11A is also very nice lens, it has very strong character and very specific bokeh. But Jupiter is a bit sharper at f/3.5-4. Mentioned Pentacon (pre-set) is also great for the price, bokeh and sharpness are fine too, but Jupiter is also a bit sharper at f/3.5-f/4. Pentacon has very nice color rendition, maybe even a bit better than Jupiter and TAIR.

I haven't much experience with 135mm Takumars. I had one copy of S-M-C 135/3.5 and the lens wasn't as sharp as i expected and purple-fringes were quite noticeable. Maybe bad or badly serviced copy.

Jupiter-11 and 11A 135/4 are also great lenses. Performance is almost identical to Jupiter-37 series. Optical design is similar. 11A version should be slightly sharper, but even the old silver 11 version is sharper than majority of f/2.8 135mm lenses.

You can also think of Triplan 100/2.8. This lens is not sharp wide opened, but you can use it in very creative way. Wide opened = soft focus lens, stopped down = sharp lens good even for macro shots, wide opened = crazy bokeh full of rings (if OOF lights are present), stopped down = nice smooth bokeh with specific character.

And don't forget the Zeiss MC Sonnar 135/3.5 - it's the same optical design as Jupiter-37, but it has more scratch-resistant coating, so it's easy to find a copy free of scratches or cleaning marks. Apertutre is hexagonal and price is higher.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many very good 135mm lenses out there.
Today, I have missed a chance to get a C/Y Zeiss Sonnar 2.8/135 for about €90,-! Oh no! Mad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 135mm lens Reply with quote

shadows wrote:
I'm looking to get a 135mm lens, right now I am looking at either a Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm 3.5 or an Olympus Om 135mm 3.5.
Unless you guys have better/sharper lenses to suggest.
I want keep it at under a 100$ and with m42 or om mounts.

where are you located?
please update your profile.

there are a lot of 135mm lenses available and some are really cheap (but not really bad). Laughing

For these really cheap lenses, perhaps postage is even more expensive than the lens itself!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright thanks guys for the suggestions.

Looking at a few Jupiters 37A right now. Is there much difference between A, MC JUPITER-37A-H-30 and Olympic versions? Other than the price.

I'm also very interested in the Trioplan but they are going for 400$ on ebay :S.

Updated my profile.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadows wrote:
Alright thanks guys for the suggestions.

Looking at a few Jupiters 37A right now. Is there much difference between A, MC JUPITER-37A-H-30 and Olympic versions? Other than the price.

I'm also very interested in the Trioplan but they are going for 400$ on ebay :S.

Updated my profile.

Trioplan for 400 USD that is scam I think can you show us the link.

MC Jupiter has better contrast.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Trioplan for 400 USD that is scam I think can you show us the link.

MC Jupiter has better contrast.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah forget these...

Well known seller from high prices.

Follow this. Seller is excellent and I expect around 100 USD or less end price.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thank you Attila

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did it and bought an MC JUPITER-37A-H-30 , thank you guys for suggesting it.

Now to get my hands on a trioplan 100mm, I'm sure that some of you guys are tired of using it, you could sell it or better yet give it to me Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadows wrote:
Well I did it and bought an MC JUPITER-37A-H-30 , thank you guys for suggesting it.

Now to get my hands on a trioplan 100mm, I'm sure that some of you guys are tired of using it, you could sell it or better yet give it to me Wink

Congratulations on your Jupiter - you should not be disappointed with it Wink

And sure, I'll send you my Trioplan - I only have it a week and it's got me in tears already...tears of absolute glee and eternal joy Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: I look forward to your thoughts and photos Reply with quote

shadows wrote:

Congrats... I have been wanting to try the Jupiter 37A for a while. Can't wait to see how you do with it. I only have (4) 135 lenses, so I am sure I need this one too... haha

But like Mal, I do not think I will be sending you my Trioplan 100 anytime soon.