Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

135mm lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm .... I don't know how to determine if this lens is a true apochromat . I didn't test it since a while because the diaph is one more time stuck.... It is an automatic diaph M42 lens without manual facility .There is time to time some copies on ebay , by Grizzly33bear's , at a fair decent price (130 €) .
A must have ? May be, not sure ... Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4 135mm primes:

CZJ MS Sonnar - Sharp, good bokeh and easy to focus
Pentacon and Meyer `bokeh monster' presets - apart from the name I cannot tell any difference. I like the handling and extra speed, but I have a lot of trouble getting in-focus shots and often find I stopdown quite a bit
S-M-C Takumar - Still not tried this lens. Probably the best handling of all

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Just to clear things up, the Pentacon 135/2.8 preset with 15 blades is available in about 5 different versions, not just zebra. I have had two black ones, one with green writing, one with red. Both absolutely excellent.

is it safe to say that there is no apparent perceptable difference in IQ between the 15 blade Pentacons? And I shouldnt bother trying to find "bestest" one? Smile

Shrek wrote:
I also have the newer 6-bladed version (named Pentacon Auto or Pentacon Electric 135/2.Cool. This is also an excellent lens, even sharper than the pre-set one, but doesn't have the really smooth out of focus bokeh like the pre-set version.

What does "pre-set" mean?

Shrek wrote:
Here is a good thread from the "other" mf forum (oooh Attila's gonna kill me Laughing )

http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=802

Yes, thats the thread I found Smile

Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klarth wrote:
Well... My favorite is Tair 133mm 2.8.

Beats the Pentacon in every way. I have them both but unfortunely i don't have any samples at hand. Tomorrow i'll go outside with this lens and hope to post some samples.

How does Tair Bokeh compare to Pentacons? My main interest is silky smooth bokeh..

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrQQ wrote:
How does Tair Bokeh compare to Pentacons? My main interest is silky smooth bokeh..

Shots 2 & 3 in this thread should give you an idea of the bokeh Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrQQ wrote:
is it safe to say that there is no apparent perceptable difference in IQ between the 15 blade Pentacons? And I shouldnt bother trying to find "bestest" one? Smile

Attila will tell you the zebra (silver and black) version is best, although I've never tried it.

mrQQ wrote:
What does "pre-set" mean?

Rather than one aperture ring, there are two. The first allows you to select the desired aperture, rotating the second ring one way will set the lens wide open for easy focusing, when you are focused you can rotate the ring back again to match the aperture set in the first (preset) ring.
[/quote]

Here's a few shots taken with my preset Pentacon 135:

And here's a few taken with my 6 blade Pentacon 135 electric:

They're all good IMO, but get the preset one if you want the best bokeh Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome shots!

do you guys know of any good sellers on ebay? usually shipment to Lithuania is very expensive, so I dont want to risk getting a faulty lense, since I have no skills whatsoever to repair one..

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does this look like a good offer for Tair-11A?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrQQ wrote:
awesome shots!

do you guys know of any good sellers on ebay? usually shipment to Lithuania is very expensive, so I dont want to risk getting a faulty lense, since I have no skills whatsoever to repair one..

OK, I totally forgot that I have a spare pre-set version in very nice looking condition! PM me if interested, the focusing a touch tougher compared to my other one but it's very usable.

It looks like this one with the red lettering:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrQQ wrote:
does this look like a good offer for Tair-11A?

I could find a cheaper one for you... but in standard M42 version. If you are interested, send me a private message.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent PM to both of you Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this hype for 135mm lenses... I can't understand really. Smile

So I've bought myself a 135mm to see what so special about that focal length, a Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f3,5.
Bought it pretty cheap from Swedish auction site.

Will pick it up today and hopefully I will see. Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios wrote:
Hmmm .... I don't know how to determine if this lens is a true apochromat . I didn't test it since a while because the diaph is one more time stuck.... It is an automatic diaph M42 lens without manual facility .There is time to time some copies on ebay , by Grizzly33bear's , at a fair decent price (130 €) .
A must have ? May be, not sure ... Very Happy

Thank you, Helios, very much.

Rino.