Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Triotar 4/135 - aaaaah, now I know...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: CZJ Triotar 4/135 - aaaaah, now I know... Reply with quote

...why it was so cheap - looking through the barrel when the diaphragm is fully open, there seems to be a fair bit of distortion.

Boozy bokeh @ f/4...

...but it's gone berserk @ f/5.6...

...yet looks reasonably sane @ f/8...

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's extraordinary. A photoshop filter from an age where Photoshop still was a wet dream. Very Happy

I would love to see more examples!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always sell it as a 'telephoto lensbaby'

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
A photoshop filter from an age where Photoshop still was a wet dream. Very Happy

Brilliance - as ever Wink

Spotmatic wrote:
I would love to see more examples!

Don't tempt me - I was just showing "Malette1905" the first lot of sample shots and she said exactly the same thing.......Confused

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens has misaligned elements. Triotar is a great lens Orio made brilliant samples with his copy.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missing element ?

Someone opened it and didn't put the glass back in properly ?

This is actually not a difficult lens to work on, if you know the trick.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Missing element ?

Someone opened it and didn't put the glass back in properly ?

I think this is the case ex-owner would try to fix blade and he did give up.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

If this is indeed the case, please put me out of my misery and tell me what the trick is.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I think this is the case ex-owner would try to fix blade and he did give up.

Blades all look fine, and open and close as normal - suspect it's the previously mentioned misaligned element somewhere that's to blame.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case you are lucky Luis will let you know how to open it and you able to fix it I am pretty sure.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If yours is the common alu version like this -

http://forum.mflenses.com/czj-triotar-135-4-exakta-total-overhaul-t9326,highlight,triotar.html

This lens has three elements, two in a cell in front of the diaphragm and one behind it.

Front elements are removed by the usual method of unscrewing the name ring with a rubber tool and then the whole front cell comes out with a lens spanner. You can remove each element with a lens spanner. I bet the problem is there, someone probably opened that, loosened the elements and didn't put them back properly.

The trick on this one is getting at the rear element (if you have to). Inside the lens mount - inside the barrel of the lens looking from the back - there is a tube with two slots. You need to insert a tool, like a bar of metal inside the lens to fit in these slots. I used an old key. You can turn that with pliers and unscrew that tube. That loosens the whole lens and you can take it apart easily from there. The whole lens head with diaphragm can be removed.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, something not right about your Triotar. Mine works awesome. But I kinda like your "Boozy Bokeh", is that the trade name now?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess an internal element has been flipped around.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck Mal
with only 3 elements, you will not have many combinations to try Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inner surfaces of the front and rear element should be flatter than the outer ones:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the input and help - I'll get the necessary tools and have a go at sorting this lens out.

Luis - those sample shots are mind-blowing: if I could get a % of that quality, I'd be very happy. Although I also realise that a lot of that quality comes from the photographer Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck Mal

Quite a project with prospect of big reward

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across this thread. i dont know how I missed it. Your Triotar should perform very well.

Samples from my backyard. Triotar wide open and 5.6