Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Triotar 135/4 Exakta total overhaul
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: CZJ Triotar 135/4 Exakta total overhaul Reply with quote

This is the Triotar I recieved in a large batch of Exakta lenses last month.

It was in terrible condition, everything was frozen, the glass was dirty, encrusted, sandy (yes, sand), fogged and fungused, full of unbelievable crud. I think someone dropped this on the beach (or in seawater) and let it sit in a Florida garage for thirty years.

I figured out how to open it - these Triotars are tricky. There is a tube inside the back that you have to insert a special tool - an extra-large lens compass apparently. Turn that tube, and it lets you separate the lens head from the focusing mount, and on from there. I made my own tool by grinding a couple of old keys to fit in slots on the tube, and turn the key with pliers - the first didn't work as the thing was stuck so hard the key just bent. So I soaked the whole lens in lighter fluid for a couple of days, and it was better from that point. I still had to drill a couple of holes in the name-ring to unscrew it unfortunately.

So, after total disassembly and cleaning of dirt and rust and old grease, re-lube, and polishing all three elements (triotar, see ?), it started looking respectable. There are spots where the coating is off, and there is a scratch.

I adjusted the helical to get closer to infinity on my Pentax K adapter. Its just barely short of infinity at this point.

So after all this - I was certain I was going to ruin the thing if it wasn't already - it turns out to be a darn fine lens !

So, I understand the Triotar was supposed to be the cheap Zeiss 135, and the Sonnar was the quality model ? I have to get one of those.

The bird -

cropped -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis you are the hero of all lenses. The shots you present are of such consistent HIGH quality. Shocked It is truly always a pleasure to view your posts. It really goes to show that the photographer takes the picture. This triotar looks really great considering the work you put into it Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis able to make beautiful shoots with any glass ... This is a beautiful job, I really love it. Not many people rescue a lens in this condition! Many thanks for it!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! that was a captivating rescue
the lens is top and the bird crop is incredible
like Attila says, Zeiss is the lens!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Triotar and it is one of my preferred lens. Actually I used it a lot more than my 2 CZJ Sonnar.

I guess its simpler scheme helps a lot in deliver the famous "3d effect" when ligtht conditions are fine and your shots seem to confirm my impression.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive work as usual, thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got a very sharp copy, congratulations.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a great resque job on the lense and excellent shots.