Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best eyepiece magnifier for Canon, when wearing glasses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Best eyepiece magnifier for Canon, when wearing glasses? Reply with quote

In your experience, what is the best eyepiece magnifier for the Canon 20D/30D cameras, especially when wearing glasses?
I read about the Nikon magnifying eyepiece, the Pentax and the KPS (which is the most expensive). Each seems to have its pros and cons. However, I don't see many experiences of people who use their camera with glasses.

The goal, of course, is to have a bit larger viewfinder image, to facilitate manual focusing Smile I always leave my glasses on while using the camera.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't wear glasses but take only KPS, the others deform borders and make focus difficult

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never find the Canon 10D (and I assume most of the others are pretty much the same) a problem with glasses. I get full view of the screen and only miss out on the bottom figures, but that's not a problem.
The K10D is the same.
Mind you, I wear letterbox specs and they tend to sit closer in to my face than my older ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wear eyeglasses, and have no problems with using the viewfinder
on my XTi/400D. My only complaint is that I often have to mash my
oily nose against the back display's Lucite panel, resulting in smears
I frequently have to clean.
To that effect, I've been considering some sort of eyepiece extender
to keep my nose off the back of the camera body.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I bought a Pentax O-ME53 eyepiece extender (1.2x magnification), and I regret it a bit.

First the good news: it actually helps with manual focus! The image is visibly enlarged (Canon 20D viewfinder), and the subject pops into focus more clearly, even with the standard matte screen (which is all I have for this camera). So, it does work for that purpose!

Now the bad news: it is a pain to use when wearing glasses Sad Without glasses, it works well enough, but with glasses, my eye is just a bit too far away from the viewfinder. It makes that I can see either the image in the VF or the leds below, but not both at the same time. And I think that is pretty annoying.

So yes, it works, it is a good help for manual focusing, but it's not ideal when wearing glasses Sad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using contact lenses is the best and easier method to focus better on any camera.

I found out that glasses sometimes made me find the wrong focus even when I was pretty damn sure it was spot on, maybe it's glass-air distortion or distance to eye (the glasses are nearer to your eyes than normally so when pressed on the viewfinder), don't know... but when I have to shoot where I can't use Live View and using large apertures using contact lenses is a must.

They are also cheaper than any magnifier or eyecup or whatever other photographic device (I tried everything...)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by poilu on Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the "Contax F-2N" which has a nice rubber eye cup. I wear eye glasses and have found it works every well for me. I use it with a 350D.

Cheers,