Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advice on lubricant for cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Advice on lubricant for cameras Reply with quote

Hi colleagues,

I'm using "3 in 1" (in can, not in spray) for cleaning/lubricating the mechanical parts inside the cameras.

I was using it because it's a thin light grease with cleaning properties.

Some days ago I saw somewhere in the net an article on camera fixing that was telling "not to use 3 in 1 at all".

So I'm unsure about which kind of lubricant should I use, so I'd appreciate very much your opinions about which grease to use.

Thanks in advance!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None, whereever possible. And you want to avoid oil creep onto the lenses and aperture (and shutter) blades, which excludes 3-in-1 and the like.

The only place where lenses are always factory-greased is the focus and zoom gearing - and you would want a very immobilized grease in there. YMMV as to what is appropriate - the best would be the manufacturer specified grease, but having to buy and store dozens of different industrial-scale size cans for a lens collection would be prohibitive.

Long-life greases specified for aluminum/plastics compound cycle shift grips (like Shimano "green goo") are a reasonably safe and easily obtainable choice.

If you have to grease originally dry parts of a lens to make up for wear, use very minimal amounts, and resort to dry lubricants like graphite or teflon dust whereever possible.

Sevo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> If you have to grease originally dry parts of a lens to make up for
> wear, use very minimal amounts, and resort to dry lubricants like
> graphite or teflon dust whereever possible.

IMO Graphite or teflon dust should not be used for optics. It is dust and sooner or later it will be on the lens surfaces. For wear compensation a thin teflon film used by the plumbers to seal the threads could be used. It is thin, slippery and does not produce dust.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Stan and Sevo, but I don't dare to open a lens (yet Wink ).
I was talking about lubricating mechanical parts inside the cameras, like levers, etc.

I've heard nasty things about graphite powder. I think I'll try the oil used in sewing machines instead of the "3 in 1".

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead and crack open a lens Jes, it's fun! Laughing

Another benefit of this Forum - someone will probably be able to help you put it back together again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:
Go ahead and crack open a lens Jes, it's fun! Laughing

Another benefit of this Forum - someone will probably be able to help you put it back together again.

And even if not, dismantled lenses are useful for other things. Magnifiers, doorstops, wheel chocks, plumb-bobs, you name it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike and Dave,
The lenses are too complex to my limitted mechanical skills. I opened a half Helios 44-2 and the base of the CZJ Planar, but did nothing with them but closing them again.
I'm afraid to touch anything that would prevent of fully working again.
Lenses are like a religuous fetish to me Wink...
And I've got so many cameras to fix that I'll busy for the next years, so no need to opening lenses by now.

But if the need arises, for sure I'll be asking for advice here prior to do any harm.

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

I'm afraid to touch anything that would prevent of fully working again.
Lenses are like a religuous fetish to me Wink...

Well, start with lenses that deserve some degree of blasphemy, then. If you want to work old lenses, you'll have to learn how to clean them - uncleaned, most show only remains of their former excellence. And if you could afford having lots of them cleaned by a pro, you'd be over in some "my new Leica" forum rather than here... Cool

Sevo