Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nov 11th Time Machine Project - Tessar 2.8/50 Contax IIa
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Nov 11th Time Machine Project - Tessar 2.8/50 Contax IIa Reply with quote

DIY C-41, same tank as these rolls
results are technically not as good as those, perhaps because of some underexposure, or because the tank was too heavy and
a bit inclined during revolutions so maybe these photos did get less chemical refresh... don't know.
Contax IIa camera, 1931's collapsible Tessar 2.5/50 lens, Ferraniacolor 200 film:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio,

I realy like watching your street/every day live series, because I am fond of Italy.
I have one small point of criticism: in most of your shot the verticals are slightly of. Correcting that makes the pictures even more pleasurable to watch imho....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio

Congrats on your first C41 development. I would call it a success, but as you say, it's not as nice as the other roll I saw.

I think some PP could help a lot with these.

Did you use quite large apertures with the Tessar? It looks a bit soft in the corners on some of the shots.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MACS wrote:
Hi Orio,
I realy like watching your street/every day live series, because I am fond of Italy.
I have one small point of criticism: in most of your shot the verticals are slightly of. Correcting that makes the pictures even more pleasurable to watch imho....

hi
the rule of this kind of events is that the partecipants need to post their whole roll without post processing.
So exposure and contrast control while scanning are ok, editing the scanned image is not.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Hi Orio
Congrats on your first C41 development. I would call it a success, but as you say, it's not as nice as the other roll I saw.
I think some PP could help a lot with these.
Did you use quite large apertures with the Tessar? It looks a bit soft in the corners on some of the shots.

Cheers Ian, I did balance the gray while scanning (which as you can see, was not always successful), but I did not make postwork on the images, because we are supposed to publish the roll "as is".
Yes, the Tessar was used wide open in several of the photos, because it was a very dark afternoon, and the film was only 200 ISO.
As you know, the pre-war Contax optics were build with the centre of the image in mind. They were not much corrected for the edges, which is however part of their own charm today, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can see you went for the as-is approach, I had to remove a magenta cast from my roll, but I don't think it was cheatign as I think it was introduced by the scanner rather than being on the negatives. Everything I scan with my Plustek comes out with a magenta cast. I suspect i need to tweak my Vuescan settings, I'm still learning to get the best from it.

I think I can spot the shots where the lens was wide open, it has a similar character to the prewar Tessars and Sonnars for Contax I have tried, one which I like, hence I bought a 1938 Sonnar 1.5/50 which i use all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delightful little town ,Orio ! I like a lot your pics from Salsomaggiore Terme ,and the fall colors fit well too.
I'd like to see your PP files too .
Thank you for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Teo!

Question for everyone: is anyone able to identify the aqua-coloured car? I forgot to check while it was there. Now I am curious.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a Nissan Figaro, a modern car designed to have a retro look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Figaro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, fast answer! Shocked
Thanks for identification, I never heard of that, factory must be made by the same man who is running Cosina Voigtlaender Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone in my little town has one, hence I knew. There was a whole spate of retro cars in Japan in the 90s, most of them never got exported.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the color! Mazel Tov!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
I love the color!!

Really? I cursed about them all the time while scanning! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nesster wrote:
I love the color!!

Really? I cursed about them all the time while scanning! Laughing

LOL I figured you did - not so realistic, but I think a wonderful look. Thing is, of course, to be able to control this