Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Sonnar ZM 50 1.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No PP? I see purple fringles or my eyes get bad?
in beer glass and white table.

The portrait of the man is very nice. Also the last one.
Are you a wide-open shooter?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
No PP? I see purple fringles or my eyes get bad?
in beer glass and white table.

The portrait of the man is very nice. Also the last one.
Are you a wide-open shooter?

In some strong backlit situations, i see lots of CA from this lens. Easily removed in pp though.

The portrait of the man is very nice. Also the last one. - thank you Smile

Are you a wide-open shooter? - usually yes. i like fast lenses, shallow dof, smooth/creamy/crazy/funky bokeh

But sometimes i do stop down Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 other great series Hari !

I especially appreciate the landscape plane wing shot and the Taxi.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more series with a lot of good pictures
the hotel inside is super and your portraits as always
i think it is your portrait with your summer house in the background, on the hill ?
you should show here some pics of the wine barrel in your summer house Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
2 other great series Hari !

I especially appreciate the landscape plane wing shot and the Taxi.

Thank you my friend! This lens is simply incredible and in combination with the M9, produces mindblowing results!

I used to carry a 15-35-75 kit but since i bought this lens, its stuck to my camera. From the ZM series, i have the 25 2.8 biogon and 50 1.5 sonnar, the Zeiss T* coating on these lenses SHITS on everything else i've used so far.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56 DIN wrote:
one more series with a lot of good pictures
the hotel inside is super and your portraits as always
i think it is your portrait with your summer house in the background, on the hill ?
you should show here some pics of the wine barrel in your summer house Smile

Thank you, Thomas!

That is a picture of my brother ... he visited me this summer for a few days. Funnily, i used to live in India and he used to live in Heidelberg. 10 years later, i live in Heidelberg and he lives in India.

crazy world Laughing

This is a picture of me as i'm rarely in front of the camera -> (first time my colleague was using a rangefinder, missed the focus but it's the only picture i have of myself .... except for mugshots ones from a machine for business visas Laughing)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the wonderful series Hari.

I have a J9, I'm about to get some film processed with some shots from it. Hopefully it produces similar results.

I suspect what makes alot of these shots terrific is the talent and processing though.

-Ben

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great images Hari. I'm impressed more of wing shot, never saw such shot from wing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
great images Hari. I'm impressed more of wing shot, never saw such shot from wing

+1 The wingshot is outstanding!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enliten wrote:
Thanks for the wonderful series Hari.

I have a J9, I'm about to get some film processed with some shots from it. Hopefully it produces similar results.

I suspect what makes alot of these shots terrific is the talent and processing though.

-Ben

Thank you! i'm glad you liked them Very Happy

The J9 is a great lens too ... hopefully your sample is of good quality in which case it will give you fantastic images! which body are you using it on?

True with talent and processing but you don't have to be born with talent. Persistence and observation go a long way too. when i started taking pictures, i was hopelessly pathetic. 3 years later i think i'm decent. Same with processing. Im super happy with lightroom and nik software add-ons. really simple and easy to use for my needs. i usually spend a minute or two on processing. maximum.

Using manual focus lenses has taught me a lot which you miss out on when you're a beginner and just push a button to capture what you want to capture.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:

thank you, old friend! the m9 + zm sonnar combo is incredible! i think it was f5.6 and the result is f*cking amazing!

i used one preset from nik software and the result won me "icon of the day" on one of flickr's famous groups - The World Through My Eyes. Group size is 89,600 people so i'm happy this shot won me the icon of the day recognition Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
IAZA wrote:

+1 The wingshot is outstanding!

Danke!

thankfully my co-passengers did not freak out as i was stuck to the window with my camera, waiting for good shots all the way from frankfurt till london Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love ALL of the shots Hari. Well done!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspen wrote:
Love ALL of the shots Hari. Well done!

Thanks mate!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:
Attila wrote:
Hari wrote:
Attila wrote:
Finally you have a good lens again after many Leica Wink congrats! Nice samples indeed! I love B&W portrait best too.
Laughing thanks buddy Smile. btw, you're a very loyal zeiss fan. I like all lenses, I have no brand loyalty. For example, the industar-50-2 is one of my all time fav lenses Wink
Leica have great resale value and it's like the bugatti veyron of lenses. If you can indulge yourself, why not. The performance of the lenses isnt too bad either Laughing

I like too all brand except Leica Laughing

Why? Laughing

I dont think he's serious, no reason not to like Leica...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:
which body are you using it on?

I'm using it on a fed 5B. I'll post any reasonable shots I get up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enliten wrote:
Hari wrote:
which body are you using it on?

I'm using it on a fed 5B. I'll post any reasonable shots I get up.

looking forward to your results!

when all the elements come together well, the jupiter 50 1.5 can show brilliant results (not my shot, only referencing) ->

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52590822@N05/6670345161/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Zeiss SONNAR ZM T* 1,5/50mm Reply with quote

The SONNAR ZM T* 1,5/50mm ist an excellent glass, but, the lens is officially not recommend by Zeiss, to be used on the Leica M9, because of its stiff corner light rays, which producing the visible magenta color strip especially on the left side of the 35mm format frame! The same magenta color strip, are produced with WA glasses starting from 28mm downwards!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeiss SONNAR ZM T* 1,5/50mm Reply with quote

I use my 50mm 1.5 ZM with my M9 all the time. I also have a collection of older 50mm 1.5 Sonnars that I use with the M9 as well. (even uncoated ones from the 1930's)

The results are beautiful, there is nothing to be concerned about. I doubt you have ever used a 50mm Sonnar with a Leica M9, you're just repeating exaggerated silly things you have read online.

OPAL wrote:
The SONNAR ZM T* 1,5/50mm ist an excellent glass, but, the lens is officially not recommend by Zeiss, to be used on the Leica M9, because of its stiff corner light rays, which producing the visible magenta color strip especially on the left side of the 35mm format frame! The same magenta color strip, are produced with WA glasses starting from 28mm downwards!

Last edited by M. Valdemar on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeiss SONNAR ZM T* 1,5/50mm Reply with quote

OPAL wrote:

Not in my experience, I use the 1.5/50 ZM with the M9 and I get perfect photos without any magenta problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeiss SONNAR ZM T* 1,5/50mm Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
OPAL wrote:

Not in my experience, I use the 1.5/50 ZM with the M9 and I get perfect photos without any magenta problem.

I AM VERY SORRY, I picked the wrong ZM lens, it is the ZM Biogon 4,5/21mm creating the expressed problems with the M9!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeiss SONNAR ZM T* 1,5/50mm Reply with quote

OPAL wrote:
it is the ZM Biogon 4,5/21mm creating the expressed problems with the M9!

Actually it's milder with the M9 than it -reportedly- is with other digital cameras. This because the M9 has the sensor's lateral cells oriented to at least partially counter this (and other) side effect of exit pupil proximity.
With the use of an appropriate camera profile inside the M9, it is possible to minimize the problem to barely noticeable at all. And for the most critical case, a third party RAW freeware is available: https://sites.google.com/site/cornerfix/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit off topic but not totally so. I've been offered a Zeiss ZM Sonnar 50/1.5 for less than 600 euros (it's in good shape). I already have the Contax G Zeiss Planar 45/2, the Contax Tessar 45/2.8 and a Voigtländer SL 40/2 Ultron.

I dislike the focusing adapter of the G 45/2 and I find the Tessar a bit slow at times. I don't have much experience with the Voigtländer yet.

Should I buy the ZM 50/1.5 and sell the others? I am radically downsizing my collection so suggesting that I should keep all doesn't help Smile