Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vario-Sonnar 3.5/40-80
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Vario-Sonnar 3.5/40-80 Reply with quote

It was the first in the line of the Contax zooms - and the third ever made by Zeiss after the Vario-Sonnar 40-120 and the mythical and almost impossible to find Vario-Sonnar 4/85-250, both for the Contarex (581 copies made).

I won it for a good price I think (190 Euros). Let's see how it will do...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How it performs comparing the 35-70/3.4?

I saw some pictures from 35-70/3.4 and I really liked the performance...

I'm not into zooms right now but I'd like to know a little more about the Contax ones to decide if I'll keep this one or not. Or even if I could think about another one for the future...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazzaros wrote:
How it performs comparing the 35-70/3.4?

I saw some pictures from 35-70/3.4 and I really liked the performance...

I'm not into zooms right now but I'd like to know a little more about the Contax ones to decide if I'll keep this one or not. Or even if I could think about another one for the future...

I have not received the 40-80 yet.
The 35-70 is an excellent lens and reportedly better than the 40-80.
But I am interested in the 40-80 because the focal range is perfect for shooting fashion and portraits. 40mm is more than enough for whole figure (35mm is too wide), while 80mm does well for head and shoulders shots (where 70mm is not long enough).
Like the 35-70, the 40-80 too has constant aperture, which makes it good to use with flash or studio strobes at any focal lenght.

-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm just learning about all the cool Zeiss zooms and I've been itching to get the 35-70 zoom, but have been wondering about the 40-80 as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBokeh wrote:
Hi, I'm just learning about all the cool Zeiss zooms and I've been itching to get the 35-70 zoom, but have been wondering about the 40-80 as well.

I have the 35-70, it's a great lens, get it you won't regret it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see them for sale very often...

On ebay.de only saw them with BIN price... (and very expensive?)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazzaros wrote:
I don't see them for sale very often...
On ebay.de only saw them with BIN price... (and very expensive?)

You mean the 40-80?
Yes, it's not common to find used, because it was expensive when it came out, so not many people bought it.
Then not much time later, it was replaced by the 35-70.

I am intrigued because there is not many people online to have shown samples from this lens. It is pretty much uncovered territtory yet, when it comes to use with a DSLR.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe I was talking about the 35-70 but the 40-80 is much hard to find...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great lens.
About the size and shape of the Sonnar 2.8/135.
55mm thread so the 55-86 ring and Contax hood #3 work great.
My only minor Niggle is that the zoom action could be a bit tighter or maybe even longer throw.
Of course it is only a 2x so the throw is very short.
Mine has been used very seldom. I actually had it listed in the Market Place for sometime with no Bites.

The 3.5 constant Aperture is great. Think about it. Only 1/2 stop slower than a Glamorous money fetching 2.8 constant.
I'll look for some samples later. I won't have much to show.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I remember when you had it on the Marketplace. Unfortunately at the time my money had to go somewhere else. But, a moment comes for everything! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ti[, Orio. I am focused on getting a 35-70mm. Checking the ebay completed listings, they've been going in the $300-$350 range, though one just went for more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBokeh wrote:
Thanks for the ti[, Orio. I am focused on getting a 35-70mm. Checking the ebay completed listings, they've been going in the $300-$350 range, though one just went for more.

With some patience, you should be able to get one for less.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBokeh wrote:

My 40-80 is still available.
PM if interested. Its mint Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
With some patience, you should be able to get one for less.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Vario-Sonnar 3.5/40-80 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
It was the first in the line of the Contax zooms - and the third ever made by Zeiss after the Vario-Sonnar 40-120 and the mythical and almost impossible to find Vario-Sonnar 4/85-250, both for the Contarex (581 copies made).

I won it for a good price I think (190 Euros). Let's see how it will do...

Amazing price!! Congrats!