Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Two less common 135mm - ISCO and Komura
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Two less common 135mm - ISCO and Komura Reply with quote

I went to my favorite place again yesterday, the creek, determined to take pictures of anything but birds again, but what is a guy to do when they fly over and start posing? I pulled out two lenses that I don't use as frequently; the Sankyô Kôki Komura 135/3.5 and the ISCO - Göttingen Tele - Westanar 135/3.5. I used both at either f/3.5 or f/5.6. While the Komura is know for great bokeh, I prefer the bokeh of the ISCO which I believe is as good or better than the Meyer or Tair. The Komura may have a slight edge on sharpness. See what you think.

1 - ISCO

2 - ISCO

3 - ISCO

4 - ISCO

5 - ISCO

6 - ISCO

7 - Komura

8 - Komura

9 - Komura

10 - Komura

11 - Komura

12 - Komura

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Komura looks quite a bit better to my eyes. Topcon 3.5/135 and 5.6/200 are both a higher level than these two I think.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply excellent, outstanding photos.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work on all the photos. i really like the komura, both the subject clarity and the smoother bokeh.
tony

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Komura is the better lens of these 2 in my eyes, great shots! And what pretty birds you have at your place! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - Komura sharper - ISCO, better bokeh - great pics...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful shots!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent photos. Numbers 2 and 9 are top.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donald dump wrote:
I agree - Komura sharper - ISCO, better bokeh - great pics...

+1, great bird portraits, nice story conclusion with the boat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Two less common 135mm - ISCO and Komura Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
... I pulled out two lenses that I don't use as frequently ...

woodrim, in my eyes, you are the true Lord of 135mm focal length. I remember several your photos taken with tair 11, and other 135s - vivitar and topcor - which were fantastic and this thread is even better (especially no. 6 and 8, and the last one too). You should pull them out more often Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Komura looks quite a bit better to my eyes. Topcon 3.5/135 and 5.6/200 are both a higher level than these two I think.

I most certainly agree, Ian, and the Topcor RE 135/3.5 can be had for the same money too. While the Topcor is noticeably sharper with good bokeh, I think the bokeh from these two lenses is better, especially when specular highlights are present, and the ISCO handles those highlights better than the Komura. However, these two lenses are in M42 mount, making them useable for more photographers than the Exakta mount Topcors.

Thanks to all others for the kind comments. There is some difference of opinion regarding the bokeh and while both are very good, I do prefer the ISCO bokeh. The Komura is easier to use in general, and easier to focus in particular. I would probably prefer an earlier metal version of the ISCO as this plastic one isn't to the quality of the Komura.

The camera used was a NEX-5N. These results demonstrate what has been said many times before, that 135mm is a focal length with many good lenses, but there are some differences with degree of sharpness, bokeh (for sure), and build quality. While I could easily be happy with either of these lenses, my favorites remain the Tair-11, Vivitar Series 1, and Meyer Orestor. The order of the first two can change with the circumstances.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Two less common 135mm - ISCO and Komura Reply with quote

hpmickey wrote:
woodrim wrote:
... I pulled out two lenses that I don't use as frequently ...

woodrim, in my eyes, you are the true Lord of 135mm focal length. I remember several your photos taken with tair 11, and other 135s - vivitar and topcor - which were fantastic and this thread is even better (especially no. 6 and 8, and the last one too). You should pull them out more often Smile

Thank you, you're very kind.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really beautiful pictures! Both lenses look seem to produce really fine results in the hand of a skilled photographer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for these very fine examples. Love all the pics. I too would vote for the Komura. but it is a very marginal choice.

patrickh