Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina AT-X f/3.5-4.5 28-85mm "close focus" zoom
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Tokina AT-X f/3.5-4.5 28-85mm "close focus" zoom Reply with quote

Very often when we go outside and i take my NEX3 with me, the only lens i bring is the Minolta 3.5/35-70. I love this lens, the IQ is stunning and the extra macro-function is very very usable.

However: i have found the range on APS-C somewhat short sometimes, and wished it were a tad longer on both ends.

While checking local adds, i stumbled upon this Tokina lens. Didn't know about it, and couldn't find a lot of info about it on the net. There was a Minolta X-700 attached to it, in very good condition. Curiosity, and the urge for some more range on my "single-lens-on-a-trip" made me buy it.

This lens is good, and maybe, just maybe, it will be used instead of the Minolta zoom on an occassional trip.... but i do want to test it a bit more first... here are some first results, please see for yourselves!!
Thanks for reading!

First 4 pictures are untouched, only converted from RAW to JPEG, no. 5 has had some PP.

Tokina AT-X 28-85 testshots by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

2. Close focus function (works like the Minolta, with a knob you have to push before it turns)

4. Crop of the above

5. This one had some PP!

I'll wait for you.... by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's a nice lens.

As for finding a lens with a longer length you could try Minolta MD 35-105 f3.5-4.5 Macro Zoom. It's not constant aperture, but otherwise it's almost identical to the famed Minolta 35-70mm. I have this lens and I think it's very good. Other reviews have claimed it to be better than the 35-70mm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Yes, i know about the MD 35-105, but i liked going to 28mm as well.... the Tokina doesn't have a constant aperture either, that's not an issue.
I will shoot some more with the Tokina, so far i think it is good!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AT-X series by Tokina was a line of mostly very nice lenses. Tokina lenses are often better than their reputation.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
The AT-X series by Tokina was a line of mostly very nice lenses. Tokina lenses are often better than their reputation.

Yes I saw samples of the 80-200 f2.8 that were posted here by Attila from memory. Images were very impressive. I am looking to buy one on EBay but few copies are listed and the asking prices are high.

I think these lenses consistently match Minolta and Nikon quality.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens was the first of the AT-X series in the beginning of the 80's and when it was released, it was quite a special one giving stunning results for its zoomrange.

I have one copy of the AT-X 285 that feels rather similar to my Minolta AF 3.5-4.5/28-85mm ('beercan'-series) and also the optical quality of both these zooms are equal.
Even the Yashica AF 3.5-4.5/28-85mm has the same look, feel and weigth as the Tokina and the Minolta and surprisingly (or not) delivers the same optical quality.

In use, i like this zoomrange more for AF than for MF as the double-ring-concept always gives me the feeling that human beings could have performed so much better if they would have been supplied with three hands Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toeteraar wrote:
This lens was the first of the AT-X series in the beginning of the 80's and when it was released, it was quite a special one giving stunning results for its zoomrange.

I have one copy of the AT-X 285 that feels rather similar to my Minolta AF 3.5-4.5/28-85mm ('beercan'-series) and also the optical quality of both these zooms are equal.

Even the Yashica AF 3.5-4.5/28-85mm has the same look, feel and weigth as the Tokina and the Minolta and surprisingly (or not) delivers the same optical quality.

In use, i like this zoomrange more for AF than for MF as the double-ring-concept always gives me the feeling that human beings could have performed so much better if they would have been supplied with three hands Very Happy

The Rokkorfiles.com gives this zoom a very good write up.

http://rokkorfiles.com/35mm%20Page%201.htm

I reckon they are all the same lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parabellumfoto wrote:
...I reckon they are all the same lens.

+1 as well 35-105mm. See also according Nikkors. But to say that some would consider blasphemy Smile.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures! It's a very nice lens. I especially like the color rendition. The build quality is excellent as well. And it is sharp.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the tokina atx 28-85 3.5-4.5 and the 35-70 f2.8 80-200 f2.8 100-300 f4. The 28-85 f3.5-f4.5 is the worst of
the lot but the other three are exceptionally good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
I own the tokina atx 28-85 3.5-4.5 and the 35-70 f2.8 80-200 f2.8 100-300 f4. The 28-85 f3.5-f4.5 is the worst of
the lot but the other three are exceptionally good.

I forgot to mention I also own the 60-120 f2.8 which is an outstanding portrait lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Tokina is a nice lens.

Think about the Tamron adaptall-2 SP 28-135mm f4-4.5
http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/28A.html

It's not a luminous lens but very good and with a great range.
And it also has macro abilities with 1:1:4 ratio at 28mm.

I enjoy it a lot. Smile

Samples :
http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp-28-135mm-f4-4-5-t53890,highlight,%2Btamron+%2Bsp+%2B28+%2B135mm.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp-28-135mm-f4-4-5-t43603,highlight,%2Btamron+%2Bsp+%2B28+%2B135mm.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the picture of the cat. Very well judged.

I have two copies of this Tokina lens. They were both very cheap (<£10). The first one obviously had a fault which I assumed was a reversed element. There were too many options to fix by trail and error (I did try!), so I bought another one so I could take it apart and work out the correct arrangement of the optics. So, now I have two copies but have never really used either. I will obviously have change that. Laughing

The Kiron 28-85mm f2.8-3.8 is also a very good lens. Faster than the Tokina but MUCH heavier and bigger. One-touch design with good close focus ability. Be warned though, oily and sticky apertures are common and fixing requires almost complete disassembly of the lens.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never a big user of MF zooms until I got the Minolta 3.5/35-70, and now I don't leave home without it. Even if I'm having a Canon, Olympus or Pentax day with my NEX, this exceptional Rokkor zoom is in my bag. I know what it can do, I trust it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!

I think i might have a look out for some other AT-X zooms.... especially the constant f/2.8 versions. Does anybody know if they were sold under different names as well?? Tokina is known for producing lenses for third party sellers.

B.t.w.: my 28-85 AT-X looks a lot like the Minolta version shown on Rokkorfiles...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this Tokina, untested.
It was tested against a bunch of trans-standard zooms
The Kiron/Vivitar (same lens) is probably the best, then comes the Tokina
Look yourself :

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One lens not shown in the testing lineup was the Tamron 28-80.
It seems to sell for a little more than the Tokina, but I am unsure if it is a better lens.
Certainly the Tokina can be bought very cheaply and would be considered a bargain.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
It seems to sell for a little more than the Tokina, but I am unsure if it is a better lens.
Certainly the Tokina can be bought very cheaply and would be considered a bargain.
OH

The Tamron 27A is a late [delete="plastic fantastic"] 1983 zoom. The test is 1981.
[delete=I also have this tamron], duly tested in FF as it was my personnal zoom during the film era. (It is currently sleeping near the Tokina).
To quote Adaptall-2.org "This lens definitely is an above average performer within its class even when compared to OEM lenses of the same era".
Probably a better macro ratio (as usual with Tamron) at 1:3.4

Last edited by Phenix jc on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenix jc wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
OH

The Tamron 27A is a late "plastic fantastic" 1983 zoom. The test is 1981.
I also have this tamron, duly tested in FF as it was my personnal zoom during the film era. (It is currently sleeping near the Tokina).
To quote Adaptall-2.org "This lens definitely is an above average performer within its class even when compared to OEM lenses of the same era".
Probably a better macro ratio (as usual with Tamron) at 1:3.4

That would explain it.
Interesting that there was no Tamron of any description in the tests.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking about Tamron in 1981, there was the Tamron SP AD2 01A 35-80mm f2.8-3.8.

Less range than all these zoom lenses tested above, but very good results and a macro ratio of 1:2.5 (1:1.25 with the SP 2X converter).
I have it and like it very much.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Speaking about Tamron in 1981, there was the Tamron SP AD2 01A 35-80mm f2.8-3.8.

Less range than all these zoom lenses tested above, but very good results and a macro ratio of 1:2.5 (1:1.25 with the SP 2X converter).
I have it and like it very much.

Many online references to this lens rate it above the 28-80 27A which came later I think.
Tamron's SP 35-80 F/2.8-3.8 zoom lens is, without question, the best zoom lens ever manufactured within its class and price point
says Adaptall-2.org, and experience from others seems to bear this out.
Still seems odd that there was no Tamron representative sample in the test. Maybe Tamron didn't get around to supplying one.
Who knows.....
OH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Still seems odd that there was no Tamron representative sample in the test. Maybe Tamron didn't get around to supplying one.
OH

The test focuses exclusively on the range of 28<->80 (85), and there was no Tamron in this range in 1981.

BTW, I don't have the 27A but the the 44A, 28-70mm, non SP, later zoom in 1986, and the "plastic fantastic". (no plastic in the 27A SP I think).
The 44A heavily borrows the optical design of the 01A 35-80 2.8-3.8. Same "above average" result, macro 1:3.15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
I will shoot some more with the Tokina, so far i think it is good!

What do you think of this lens now after having some time to use it? I too have the Minolta MD 3.5/35-70mm macro and like yourself am looking for a wider and longer zoom for my NEX.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still very positive about it! But haven't used it a lot on digital lately because i switched to full-frame Canon. It's on my Minolta XG-M at the moment, shooting film!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still surprise that Tamron never released a serious adaptall-2 28-70/80/85/90mm lens. The 35-80mm is a very good lens, but having the same quality on a 28-80 would be awesome!

Interesting to see the test report about the Vivitar 28-85mm lens. I wonder if it is on bar with the 28-90mm Series 1 lens.