Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina AT-X f/3.5-4.5 28-85mm "close focus" zoom
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parabellumfoto wrote:

The Rokkorfiles.com gives this zoom a very good write up.

http://rokkorfiles.com/35mm%20Page%201.htm

I reckon they are all the same lens.

I don’t think they are the same lens.
The Rokkor 28-85 MD was introduced in 1983; it has 13 elements in 10 groups; its closest focus is 0.8m; it takes 55mm filters; and weighs 470g.
The Tokina AT-X 28-85 was introduced in 1981; it has 15 elements in 10 groups; its closest focus is 0.9m; it takes 62mm filters; and weighs 485g.
Other differences include a much longer extension forward at the long zoom end for the Rokkor, and the macro function on the Rokkor is at the 28mm end of the zooming ring, while on the Tokina it is at the 85mm end.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
I am still very positive about it! But haven't used it a lot on digital lately because i switched to full-frame Canon. It's on my Minolta XG-M at the moment, shooting film!

Good, I've just bought one in mint condition and am looking forward to using it! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the same Lens used. I get it today Morning and haven't much Time spent with it yet, but it seems i have to get use to those two Rings (focal Length and Focus) you have to "fiddle" with.

I have done a few quick Shots 28mm, 50mm, and 85mm the first three with thr widest Aperture, the second three an f11. I find it a little bit kind of "milky" in the Center @85mm!!??

All Pics ooc, just a little bit sharpened, Focus is on the Metal Frog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also picked up this Tokina AT-X 28-85mm a few weeks ago, for cheap. In pretty good condition. I found it to perform very well optically, say compared to my Kiron 28-105mm f/3.2-4.5, which has cooler colors. And the Vivitar Series-1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5.
It's nice and small, lighter compared to those two as well.

But I did also detect a similar haze/loss of contrast at 85mm under similar lighting as above.
I corrected it in PP-ing.
May try to find a lens hood for it and see if that relieves the haziness.
I still like this lens, rank it well along with my AT-X 80-200 and 100-300 zooms.

Here's what I got at 85mm SOOC jpeg...note the lost of contrast...

After a little contrast boost, it is more inline with what I was seeing below 85mm.

This is a sample of the contrast level at around 50mm...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting better...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ That's excellent!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina AT-X 3.5-4.5/28-85mm does not at all perform as good as the Minolta MD 3.5-4.5/28-85mm; the Tokina corners are VERY unsharp compared to the Minolta (24 MP FF Sony A7II).

Other Tokina AT-X are quite nice lenses (e. g. the small & lightweight AT-X 2.8/35-70mm), but the AT-X 28-85mm is not a very good lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are other zoom lenses in this category that probably outperform this early AT-X model. The Minolta you list is a different formula and a good number of years newer, even though they appear identical. So, not as fair a comparison. I read the consensus that a Tamron SP (forgot the model #) was best of class for this range.

I am using it on a cropped sensor, so my results are more forgiving than your FF output. It's good to know though, since I'm considering upgrading to a a7ii next. Images from an a6000 have been excellent with my copy, as compared to images taken with comparable primes.

It was a pleasant surprise. I had no expectations nor did I seek out this model. It came bundled with a MD Rokkor-x 50-135mm zoom lens, for the cost of a sandwich! Not much of a wide/mid zoom shooter, but its output is satisfactory enough for me to risk using it over my primes.

I'd have to agree with you on the AT-X 2.8/35-70...it's nicer. The bokeh is gorgeous, and it's very sharp.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll do a few comparing shots at the beginning of next week; there's always the possibility, that a certain lens (in this case my AT-X 28-85mm) is damaged even though it looks "like new" from outside...

It's important, however, that people do understand the differences between the Minolta MD/AF 3.5-4.5/28-85 and other third party lenses. The Minolta 28-85mm was one of the earliest aspherical zoom designs (along with the Minolta AF 35-70mm). Both lenses do, at certain focal lengths and apertures, clearly outperform the modern Sony Zeiss ZA 2.8/24-70mm.

Stephan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
The Tokina AT-X 3.5-4.5/28-85mm does not at all perform as good as the Minolta MD 3.5-4.5/28-85mm; the Tokina corners are VERY unsharp compared to the Minolta (24 MP FF Sony A7II).

Other Tokina AT-X are quite nice lenses (e. g. the small & lightweight AT-X 2.8/35-70mm), but the AT-X 28-85mm is not a very good lens.

The Minolta 28-85 was a joint design between Tokina and Minolta then produced by Tokina and sold both as a Tokina AT-X and a Minolta.

Same lens, so your copy of the Tokina must be faulty.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The version I have is the one pictured below. Serial no. is clearly visible (for those who can decipher it).
I read in another thread here on these 28-85mm zooms, that this one preceded the Minolta one by several years. It would be interesting to learn more about their association further. It comes as no surprise since there had been numerous versions from both companies, and some were identical twins.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
stevemark wrote:

The Minolta 28-85 was a joint design between Tokina and Minolta then produced by Tokina and sold both as a Tokina AT-X and a Minolta.

Are you sure ? What about the Koncamera's post on this page.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:

Ian may be right, because Tokina made two versions of the AT-X 28-85/3.5-4.5, something I forgot to mention in my previous post. The first was from 1981 to 1984, and the second from 1984 to 1987. Incidentally, the first two digits of Tokina SNs from this period correspond to the year of production, so the one on the photo is from 1982. I have no idea what the difference between the two models are. There were also 2 RMC versions of this short zoom BTW.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Stevemark might be right too ! Logiczne ?

Stevemark could have been a great contributor to this forum . I hope he will come back.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some discussion about the Tokina and the Minolta being the same lens a while ago too, also in one of my topics, right after i bought the Minolta version.

You can read it here: http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-md-28-85mm-f-3-5-4-5-t71892,highlight,%2Bminolta.html

I do not believe they are the same lens.

Cheers, René!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
stevemark wrote:

Sorry, no Wink !!

There are three Tokina 28-85mm lenses (a big RMC 1:4 and two smaller AT-X 1:3.5-4.5). The two AT-X versions are only cosmetically different, and they both are 10-15mm SHORTER than the Minolta MD / AF / AFnew 28-85mm 1:3.5-4.5. If you have these lenses in front of you (and i have four of them here right now) the different design of the Minoltas and the Tokinas is obvious. Sadly, some people prefer to spread rumours instead of facts.

Below you find some images to illustrate the facts.

I guess you mix up the 28-85mm with the RMC Tokina and the Minolta MD 3.5-4.5/35-105mm. The first (16 lens) version of the Minolta MD 3.5-4.5/35-105 did in fact have the same optical construction as the Tokina RMC 3.5-4.5/35-105mm. However, the coatings were clearly different, and manufacturing quality of the Tokina was much lower than of the corresponding Minolta: Even though they share the same optical design, their performance is quite different. I have tested several of these 35-105mm lenses on The Sony A7II.

konicamera wrote:
memetph wrote:

Ian may be right, because Tokina made two versions of the AT-X 28-85/3.5-4.5, something I forgot to mention in my previous post. The first was from 1981 to 1984, and the second from 1984 to 1987. Incidentally, the first two digits of Tokina SNs from this period correspond to the year of production, so the one on the photo is from 1982. I have no idea what the difference between the two models are. There were also 2 RMC versions of this short zoom BTW.

BOTH of the Tokina 28-85mm AT-X versions are much SHORTER than the Minolta MD/AF/AFnew 28-85mm; therefore Ian is not right Wink

Stephan