Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[TIP] How to know the needed pixels for printing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: [TIP] How to know the needed pixels for printing Reply with quote

This is something that most of you surely knows already - but maybe someone does not know, and it can be useful to him/her.

So, do you know how to calculate how many pixels your image must be large to allow for a good print?

It is very easy. Take the largest side size number (inches) of the print that you plan to make (for instance, if you plant to make a 20x30 inches print, take 30). Then multiply it by 300, which is the number of pixels per inch needed to produce a high quality print. Multiply the two numbers, and the result, will be the number of pixels that the largest side of your original image must measure.

So for instance, if you want to make a 20x30 inches print of your image, multiply 30 (largest side size) by 300 (ppi), and you obtain 9000, which is the number of pixels that the largest side of your image needs to have to offer you a quality print.

Easy, isn't it? Very Happy

As a side note: some people say that for a good enough print, 240 pixels per inch are enough. I don't enter this subject because I don't have the knowledge.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you VERY much; this is very useful and is a simple way to figure out the basic tenets of image size, at least for me!

I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Thank you VERY much; this is very useful and is a simple way to figure out the basic tenets of image size, at least for me!

I appreciate it.

I must admit I am very confused about this. If 300 pixels per inch produces a high quality print, why is it necessary to scan at 6400 dots per inch?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

I must admit I am very confused about this. If 300 pixels per inch produces a high quality print, why is it necessary to scan at 6400 dots per inch?

To take advantage of the maximum optical resolution of your scanner
(I assume that your scanner's MOR is 6400 dpi)

Scanning at the maximum optical (not interpolated!) resolution of your scanner ensures the best scanning quality.
After you have captured the file at the maximum MOR, based on the final destination of the image, you can decide a final resolution and downsize to it.

For this reason, it is not adviseable to scan using antialiasing filters. By scanning non-AA at the MOR, and then downsample to final resolution using bicubic interpolation (or equivalent), you will obtain a "natural" antialiasing that most probably will look much better than the scanning software's own.

_