Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The expired film thread
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: The expired film thread Reply with quote

Hi,
As I am new one here perhaps you can share your wisdom here. How often do you buy expired film and what problems you have encountered so far?
How cheap it has to be an expired film roll to buy it? I can find very cheap film rolls and it might be fun to give it a try

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imho even new film is very inexpensive compared to processing cost. Self-processing costs much less.

Buy cheap rolls from same batch, then try a roll for good results before remaining film gets used for anything important; a person who develops their self can test partial rolls...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for you in Germany they don't seem to sell new Asta Vista (C200) film for £1, so with this low price in the UK I would only buy OOD Kodak Gold or Superia 200 if it wasn't going for more than 20p, and set a cut off point for buying non pro colour film at 2006 and not before.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seldom buy unless I am assured it was properly frozen. If possible I will buy a small lot for testing, then buy more. I recently bought 5, then 70 rolls of Fuji 50D 120 slide film for about $2.50 USD per roll. http://www.ebay.com/itm/331254031549?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT.

Phil" target="_blank">Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I bought a box of 60 expired Fuji Superias X-Tra 400 with expiry date at 09.2009.
As collogues said before it's best to buy test sample from the same batch and simply test it, which I did. Seller said it was stored in the air conditioned room, hidden from the sun and from the results from this film I believe this. Now I put the whole batch into the freezer.

I found it's a little bit faded at box speed, but exposed at ISO200 speed it has plenty of colour, contrast and sharpness without noticeably bigger grain.

Here are a few samples:
http://forum.mflenses.com/expired-fuji-superia-x-tra-400-with-om2-spot-t67616.html
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mateuszmolik/sets/72157646838153877/

Oh, I forgot to mentioned that it costed me about £0.50 per 36 exposure roll (for comparison, new roll of this negative is about £2.50 if you look carefully in Poland).
I agree that Agfa Vista Plus 200 for £1 in UK is great negative and I really really like it (I even asked my parents to buy me ~30 rolls), but still... this expired Fuji Superia X-Tra 400@200 is better in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very very good results

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very very good results