Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Decline Of My Home Town. Part1.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: The Decline Of My Home Town. Part1. Reply with quote

I have lived in Leyland all my life. I went for a walk this morning and had the urge to visit the places I knew and visited when I was a kid. It seemed like half the town used to be taken up by the once mighty Leyland Motors (also British Leyland, Leyland Trucks, etc,which used to be the 5th largest vehicle manufacturer in the world) and other engineering firms, and although some of them are still (just) existing, I feel its only a matter of time.

I then looked at the bigger picture. What once was a town that was filled with tradition and character is now slowly becoming another town filled with take-aways, litter, scabby yobs and supermarkets. I decided over the next 12 months to spend time photographing what (in my opinion) are the good (yes there are some!) and bad things about the town.

My first outing consisted primarily of close-ups of the area around the near the old Leyland Motors and Iddon Brothers works. (No infinity focus so stuck with close-ups until my 50mm Nikkor arrives!)

All shots taken with D40X, Pentacon 50mm @f1.8 and at 1/1000 ISO200;

#1. No Entry To The Test Track.

#2. Left To Rot.

#3. Fenced In.

#4. No Parking here.

#5. Dumped On The South Works Site.

Thanks for looking

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Decline Of My Home Town. Part1. Reply with quote

Hooper wrote:

I then looked at the bigger picture. What once was a town that was filled with tradition and character is now slowly becoming another town filled with take-aways, litter, scabby yobs and supermarkets. I decided over the next 12 months to spend time photographing what (in my opinion) are the good (yes there are some!) and bad things about the town.

I think it's the same everywhere in europe and I like your approach very much. Last summer I visited some friends in middlesbrough and I was impressed about the beauty of the english countryside and the old towns. It's wonderful that there are some people who are trying to keep this character against the fast new world of take away markets - even if the only thing you can do is taking images.

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I particularly like the last two.

I'm glad you're documenting the town - have you considered contacting your local history society to see if they're interested in archiving the images? I submit photos for a local project aiming to make a photographic record of my town and the local history society were really keen to maintain a copy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you, great idea to document an area old photographs are always worth revisiting in 10 or 20 years time to see what has changed (remember to name your images with a sensible name so you can find them in 20 years, and back up onto high Quality CD!)

I have the occassion to visit Leyland. Its just up the road from me in Horwich, OK mabe about 15miles I go to Leyland homebrew in the centre of the town, it has the feeling of a place that has had its best. When a large industry falls out of an area it is felt for many generations. I must admit I dont stay long after I have discarded my burger wrapper on the pavement! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
I have the occassion to visit Leyland. Its just up the road from me in Horwich, OK mabe about 15miles I go to Leyland homebrew in the centre of the town, it has the feeling of a place that has had its best. When a large industry falls out of an area it is felt for many generations. I must admit I dont stay long after I have discarded my burger wrapper on the pavement! Smile

hehe, I live about a 2 minute walk from Leyland Homebrew, small world!!! It's a shame the road it's on (Chapel Brow) is now nothing more than takeaway alley!!! And if i catch you chucking your wrappers on the floor again i'll have your hands off!!! Razz

Richard, thats a really good idea, I might get a few more images under my belt then fire an email to Leyland Historical Society.

Edit: Following Richard's advice I have just sent them an email!!! See what happens!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can fully understand your project. I also have photos of historical parts of my town and surroundings, that don't exist anymore.
Good luck with the task, memory is always an important thing. Even the photos that do not seemto have much meaning today, will become much important tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is always an important project. And well done!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, this is a nice and worthwhile project and I hope you do get the photos archived and made available to a wide audience.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the change is coming over the entire world one way or another and has always been that way. How many books are there documenting the past for us using pictures taken by people who did not consciously realize they were documenting a passing phase? We should all be sensitive to this issue when we are out with those funny machines we spend so much time cosseting. Smile Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pentacon samples
nice debate for decline...
On the other hand those abandoned place are a paradise for photographers
If everything was clean and new, no more artistic photography (specially b&w)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cannot stop change, only document it. Confused

It's a nice project. The good thing is that it never ends, because our surrondings never stop changing. Show us more pictures. I like 2 & 5 from the 1st batch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool project! My town has SOME history, but of course usually in England, and other parts of Europe the history goes back a long ways!

Not only is it a good idea, but this first batch of images are impeccable - really some nice compositional thought went into those.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hopper!

I last visited my father's village some 40 years ago. My brother went there a couple of years ago and came back deceived. All the memories from our youth were gone...
So I prefered not come back anymore and keep the memories, and recall them by the pictures we took then.
So I think it's a nice initiative.

Regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

I last visited my father's village some 40 years ago. My brother went there a couple of years ago and came back deceived. All the memories from our youth were gone...
So I prefered not come back anymore and keep the memories, and recall them by the pictures we took then.

They say, in fact, "you never really come back home"...

-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say a big thanks to you all for your encouragement and kind words! Smile

What has been said by a few of you is quite correct....these days it is inevitable that this is going to happen. Times change. The modern world seems to be in too much of a rush, which can be seen by the amount of supermarkets and fast food outlets, although as these are also a part of the towns modern history they should be documented too!!!

I will try and get out this week and get some more!! (although i may not have time as our first baby is due to be here any day!!! Shocked )

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence
the last place I lived in (in SoCal) was very loudly and proudly celebrating its 50th year of incorporation! My high school just celebrated its 150th year in its second home. Last year it celebrated its 450th anniversary. Europe just got settled first that's all Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh