Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Cathedral of Fidenza
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: The Cathedral of Fidenza Reply with quote

I will post here the scans from my Rollei Digibase Pro 200 low contrast negative, photos taken with Contax G2 rangefinder and some relative lenses.

I took this series of photos convinced (by others) that I had a B&W film in the machine. So I looked for dramatic or moody subjects. This one was one of them and I converted to B&W because it was how it was originally conceived and in fact that is how it works best. I am very happy with it, I think it's one of my best B&W pictures (not that I have made so many, to tell the truth).

The photo was taken handheld at a very slow shutter time (something like 1/8th or similar), luckily I could lean onto a column and the rangefinder camera has no mirror to move, so I could still make of it a good shot.

The lens used here is the Zeiss Biogon 21mm:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are curious about the original scan, here it is, scanned at 4800 DPI and at original size (24x36mm):

http://www.timelessphotography.eu/temp/fidenza08.jpg

Make sure (usually by clicking on the image) that you will see the file at the original huge size.

Some of the details remind me of the very first photographs, almost dissolved into grain.
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I freely confess I thought it was B&W film... Embarassed

It does convert to B&W very well though Wink

Great composition!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A crop from the 100% sized scan:

It really reminds me of the very first photograph tentatives half of 19th century. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more scans:

with Biogon 21mm

with Biogon 21mm
note the exquisite Romanesque primitive hunt scene on the wall

with Biogon 21mm

with Biogon 21mm
From this picture I have learned the hard way, that when doing extreme closeups, you can not trust 100% the additional viewfinder that it will show in the photo the view you see while shooting... of course the head of the lion was visible in the viewfinder...

with Biogon 21mm

with Biogon 21mm

with Biogon 21mm

with Biogon 21mm (I think)

with Biogon 21mm

with Biogon 21mm

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you show me a full size scan also from one of the daytime color image too ?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Can you show me a full size scan also from one of the daytime color image too ?

OK, later I will do. Don't expect, however, better result than what a ISO 800 would do in digital. In other words, plenty of grain.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, I like these shots a lot. What a great lens for an experienced photographer like you.

Orio wrote:
...with Biogon 21mm

Look at this! The perspective and effect of a super wide angle lens but the distortion of a good 35mm or 50mm lens. Shocked Wow!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice samples!

Whilst the grain is quite obvious it doesn't distract from the overall image. The film holds a lot of detail in a way that digital noise sometimes doesn't.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real treat for me, thanks for sharing these, Orio! What film did you use?

Bill

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great nice series
seems that this film have greater dynamic than digital and your G lenses are top performer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1st one is my favorite. It has quality that makes it difficult to place the decade it was taken. This shot looks to me as if it could be from 1940 with a large format camera. Very nice effect Orio I love it!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Look at this! The perspective and effect of a super wide angle lens but the distortion of a good 35mm or 50mm lens. Shocked Wow!

Yes, I love my Biogons Smile

Richard_D wrote:
Very nice samples!
Whilst the grain is quite obvious it doesn't distract from the overall image. The film holds a lot of detail in a way that digital noise sometimes doesn't.

Yes, this film is much grainy but it still holds a lot of detail. The Biogons and the "rangefinder factor" play a role in the detail amount, however. I'll try this same film on reflex and with more standard lenses, to evaluate the difference.

Katastrofo wrote:
A real treat for me, thanks for sharing these, Orio! What film did you use?Bill

The film is the Rollei Digibase Pro 200. It is a low-contrast colour negative film that is planned and made specifically for scanning with home scanners (that have limited dynamic range compared to drum scanners).
I have to say that in spite of the heavy grain, this film has two features that I love:

1- they are really fantastic to scan. I just put them in and scan, no need to set any parameter! You can read the lights and shadows perfectly.

2- I love the colours. They have sort of a timeless quality. And a very peculiar hue.

poilu wrote:
great nice series
seems that this film have greater dynamic than digital and your G lenses are top performer

Actually, this may be true! But I need to shoot more rolls to be able to understand fully this film. For now, I ma very favourably impressed!

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
The 1st one is my favorite. It has quality that makes it difficult to place the decade it was taken. This shot looks to me as if it could be from 1940 with a large format camera. Very nice effect Orio I love it!

Yes, to me the full size of scan even reminds me of the early photographs taken with hours of exposure on a single silver coated plate!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the film info, Orio, not a cheap film, but great results!

Bill