Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tenerife - Bessa RF 6x9 folder
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Tenerife - Bessa RF 6x9 folder Reply with quote

Bessa RF Skopar 10,5cm Velvia 100 + Epson V500 Gössen Lunasix 3

Full sizes images are here

Last edited by Attila on Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:06 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like great image quality!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and count it this is an un-coated lens from 1937

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to say Smile

simply nice pictures, Attila!

thanks for sharing Smile

tf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It is Abbaz fault Smile he suggested to take this camera. Many thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am shocked at the CLARITY you've been able to achieve here, Atilla! Did you scan with the Epson?

I do see a magenta cast that should be easy to tone down.

Regarding the compositions themselves, these are FIRST RATE!

Excellent work, really excellent.

You should use this beauty, with its WONDERFUL film size, much much more! That way WE get to see your beautiful images from this spectacular camera.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Larry! Yes, I used Epson V500. Magenta cast I guess came from uncoated lens.

Film was fresh Velvia 100.

Take a look on Bessa L 15mm that is also provided, superb quality. Olympus OM 21mm f3.5 was very weak compare with these.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Attila, you did it this time!....
I mean, the perfection!!!!
Congratulations, extremely good shots, wonderful colour, sharpness, lighting, composition...

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jes! This is a photographer paradise.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 and 5 are my faves! That Velvia really works great in these old folders, will
have to try it sometime! Cool Agree, where you were was paradise!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velvia is a superb film for landscapes that is true, I made some closer shoots , result wasn't same good at all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Velvia is a superb film for landscapes that is true, I made some closer shoots , result wasn't same good at all.

Hummm, good to know, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also experimented very noticeable magenta casts with Velvia 100. Actually Velvia 50 is so far superior that I never bought the 100 (or 100F, even worse) version anymore. If I want an ISO 100 color slide I go to Provia.

Maybe it is the Skopar fault, as I used an old Bessa too, but I heard this sort of problem from people using less archaeological cameras than us Attila Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the magenta cast with Velvia 100.

I've used Velvia 100 and 100F, and Velvia 50 for quite a long time now...the Velvia 100 is GREAT for the rain forest greens, but gives a magenta cast if I have a lot of sky and water. Same with 100F, but to a lesser extent.

Velvia 50 does not give the magenta cast so much, but seems to me to render the blues a little bit towards the violet spectrum. In the rain forest, it can be a problem because the greens are already super-saturated. The heavy saturation of Velvia 50 can make things almost garish at times. Shocked

Provia 100F is my film of choice for the deep woods. Velvia 50 for most other images, EXCEPT for people and skin tones. If there are people showing in the image then I like to go to Reala, which scans very well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find all Velvias excessive in both reddish tone and saturation.
I love the detail but the colours are so off that they force me to do massive post scanning adjustment. Which is time consuming and I don't like it.

I have a couple of Velvia rolls left, after them I will only buy and use Provia. It gives me enough detail, and the colours are very good for me. It can have a slight cool tonality at times, but I like it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

Provia 100F is my film of choice for the deep woods. Velvia 50 for most other images, EXCEPT for people and skin tones. If there are people showing in the image then I like to go to Reala, which scans very well.

I used Reala but I also had some hard times scanning them (maybe my fault). This negative film has a far inferior resolution than slides like Provia, not to talk about Velvia. Greens are oversaturated and a bit "unreal" (even more than Velvia imho) but I agree that it could work nice with forests and woods.

This is a scan from a Reala:

If I had to shoot people I'd go with Astia.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the distincive red/magenta cast, these shots are pretty impressive, Attila. Well done!

It is so much fun too shoot with these old medium format cams. If only development was cheaper here... Sad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

I do see a magenta cast that should be easy to tone down.

A UV or skylight filter would have been useful - lenses of that vintage have less glass than modern designs, and hence pass more UV, which causes the strong blue cast of the distant haze in the pictures. And either excessive UV exposition hitting through on the magenta layer or the scanners (mis-) interpretation of the blue cast will have introduced that magenta stain...

Sevo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sevo, this is a good idea !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

It is so much fun too shoot with these old medium format cams. If only development was cheaper here... Sad

Pretty much any German chain drugstore is a outlet for one of the major lab factories (Cewe, Fujicolor and Orwo), and all of them still process 120 film, at the same (quite cheap) price as 35mm - simply drop it in a bag at the drugstore. The development itself is of reasonably high quality and very consistent (better than some pro labs monday runs) - the only downside is that won't do uncut film and their packing machinery does often cut into dark pictures on film from ancient cameras with odd spacing.

Sevo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reala CAN be made to look decent.

Though this photograph might not have the "color depth" of a slide, it's pretty true to the scene as I saw it. Perhaps a very slight tendency for the green to inhabit some blue spectrum more than the yellow spectrum.

Shadow detail is easily brought forth with Reala scans, as is the detail (in the roots for instance).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Beautiful!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are really, really nice Attila. I enjoyed looking at them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredibile shot Laurence. It gave me some motivation to try Reala again Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic, I love seeing the 6x9 working... and you get good focus. Right now my Bessa I isn't seeing very far...