Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tele-Lentar 105mm f2.8 in M42 preset
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Tele-Lentar 105mm f2.8 in M42 preset Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina.

These are quite good, and very compact.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice indeed, T-mount right? Surprised

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly T-mount, but mine is actually the Tokina-only interchangable mount.

It turns out we cannot assume a T-mount with these.

I wonder if any of these 105mm were made in T-mount ? They aren't too common, so maybe not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous photos. Sharp and great bokeh. Any color/exposure adjustment?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@luisalegria- Thanks for id-ing the lens and in T-mount.
@ Nordento- Yes I unscewed the mount to verify and it is indeed in T-mount.

@ ChromaticAberration- Thank you ,I may have used Auto-Tone in "Lightroom". The photo was taken close to sundown.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
@ ChromaticAberration- Thank you ,I may have used Auto-Tone in "Lightroom". The photo was taken close to sundown.

Well no harm there, my quality metric is basically assessing if a picture needs more adjustments than Photoshop's "auto-tone", if it does than it will have to be shot again for it is not up to my basic image quality standard.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
Gorgeous photos. Sharp and great bokeh. Any color/exposure adjustment?

Kathmandu wrote:

Well no harm there, my quality metric is basically assessing if a picture needs more adjustments than Photoshop's "auto-tone", if it does than it will have to be shot again for it is not up to my basic image quality standard.

What did your quality metric assess?
I like it it -plus it would be impossible to revisit that time and mood to do a retake.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh,

What I learned from the old film days was a picture was taken in the studio but was made in the darkroom. And thats as per Ansel Adams no less. Even old studio photos of the art quality were heavily manipulated in the darkroom.

So there isn't much reason to insist on image quality standards out of the camera, unless you just want to compare cameras and lenses directly against each other. But that in itself is of little value I think.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Huh,

What I learned from the old film days was a picture was taken in the studio but was made in the darkroom. And thats as per Ansel Adams no less. Even old studio photos of the art quality were heavily manipulated in the darkroom.

So there isn't much reason to insist on image quality standards out of the camera, unless you just want to compare cameras and lenses directly against each other. But that in itself is of little value I think.

I used to work as an estate photographer and we always told customers after taking pictures of their property.

"this was 1/4 of the job, the rest is computer generated" Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Huh,

I dunno how you came to this "Luisalegria", but I think he was asking me if I had done any Post processing and I wrote that the only thing I did was "auto tone" in Lightroom . He was talking his about his "quality metric assess", Iwant to find out more about it ,because I am interested in it.
I dont think I was insisting on image quality standards out of Camera.It was a simple answer -no ,I did not tweak anything except use auto-tone. I do like it when the image comes out nice-who doesn't right?. Smile

[Just noticed my Sinature below-so thats how it works. ] Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always curious about the pictures's quality in terms of colors and exposure because it is not always easy to get them the way we want.

Like I wrote earlier, the way I judge my photos is pretty straightforward. Leaving composition (which most of the times is the result of cropping) out of the equation, if a picture needs either sharpening or hours of post-processing, to me, something failed, and I should either do it again (if feasible) or try to correct what went wrong.

One thing I almost always do is to apply those "auto" tone, contrast and color, with 3 clicks the images look much better 90% of the times, the rest is cropping for flickr or whatever.

That picture back there looks gorgeous and I am glad that you only needed to apply those basic modifications.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always curious about the pictures's quality in terms of colors and exposure because it is not always easy to get them the way we want.

Like I wrote earlier, the way I judge my photos is pretty straightforward. Leaving composition (which most of the times is the result of cropping) out of the equation, if a picture needs either sharpening or hours of post-processing, to me, something failed, and I should either do it again (if feasible) or try to correct what went wrong.

One thing I almost always do is to apply those "auto" tone, contrast and color, with 3 clicks the images look much better 90% of the times, the rest is cropping for flickr or whatever.

That picture back there looks gorgeous and I am glad that you only needed to apply those basic modifications.

I agree , I see your point now when you talk about re-shooting. Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twins almost?

Soligor Telephoto 105mm f2.8 with the "C and O" preset aperture ring in T mount-Sony/Minolta AF.
Tele-Lentar 135mm f2.8 with numbered preset aperture in T mount M42.

And other subtle body differences-

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same lens I would say.

I used to have a theory that that O<-.->C marking on the Soligors indicated a Komine made lens, but now it seems that Soligor used that design on lenses from several makers.

If they were from different makers I would expect such details as the focusing scale and DOF spacing to be different, but they seem identical.

So the Soligor is probably a Tokina also.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Same lens I would say.

I used to have a theory that that O<-.->C marking on the Soligors indicated a Komine made lens, but now it seems that Soligor used that design on lenses from several makers.

If they were from different makers I would expect such details as the focusing scale and DOF spacing to be different, but they seem identical.

So the Soligor is probably a Tokina also.

+1
They are both true gems- another difference mild as it may seem ; I notice the Soligor element is amber/yellow as opposed to the Lentar which to me appears bluish.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 105/2.8 too, in fact I have it for sale at the moment. Mine has the O-C ring and takes a standard t-mount. Serial is H43421:

Interestingly, it appears that not all Tokinas have the same focusing and aperture scale! Well certainly when branded Soligor. Some have a red dot, some have a red dot in a while box and some have a red triangle in a white box Confused Thanks Tokina Laughing

The 135/3.5 is similar:

Note, the 105, 135 and 300mm Soligors in this series all vignette like mad on full frame, even stopped down a couple of times, but IQ is very good.