Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tefnon Kobori 35-80 f/3.5-4.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Tefnon Kobori 35-80 f/3.5-4.8 Reply with quote

I got this as a "body cap" on a defective but now functional Pentax MX I found at the Adolph Gasser (classic San Francisco photo dealer) bargain table. $5 for a Pentax MX and a free lens!

Tefnon Kobori 35-80 f/3.5-4.8 on my "new" Pentax K1000 SE!

Anyway, this is a typical wide-tele all-purpose zoom of its day, from 1980 or a few years later I think. These were very common lenses for first time SLR users at the time, the ancestors of modern kit lenses. At the time dealers would often sell kits of a lower-end name brand SLR (like the K1000) with a "no-name" wide-tele zoom. Of course manufacturers themselves were trying to sell the same sorts of lenses, but they were not usually at the price point of the third parties.

Tefnon was a "house brand" for Kobori, as I understand it. Others included "Koboron", and I believe this whole line was often sold through importers under their many brands. Third party lenses of this late date aren't really in my range of interests, but I happened to have this while shooting with other lenses, so I thought it may be of interest to see what one can expect from this sort of lens, and this one seems typical of the type.

Kobori seems to have been a rather well-regarded maker regardless of its low cost, overall in the same category as Kiron, Komine and Tokina.

Another such Kobori wide-tele zoom (24-70) was reviewed by Ian, and that thread just popped up again today ! - what a coincidence. Ian's and Wadidiz's lenses are different of course, and of a rather higher category.

http://forum.mflenses.com/kobori-koboron-3-5-4-8-24-70-t67497.html

Mine is a two-touch wide-tele of very conservative specifications, with variable aperture, though that does not seem as extreme as some. It is a "macro", best used at 80mm, best considered a bit of marketing exaggeration, though it does focus down to 1 foot - .3 meters, which gives it a very useful close focus ability, and especially as that focus range is continuous and does not require changing modes with a switch, which was typical of the time.

The 35mm range extends the lens considerably, by 50% or more, which is a bit surprising. The lens overall is shortest at about 65mm.

My general impression is that this is really quite a sharp and contrasty lens, at all focal lengths at the center, even wide open. I can't say what the 35mm corners are like on full frame, and they might be lousy for all I know, but on APS-C in the field this certainly is not a disappointing performer. Flare is quite well controlled and this can be used for extreme backlight cases or with the sun in the frame without too much trouble. It doesn't compare with modern stuff that way, but its no slouch. Its a useful walk around lens and great for flowers outdoors in daylight. I suspect it would make a very decent portrait lens for any conventional work - hey, f/1.5 is HARD to use. f/5 is practical, and typical.

All at either f/8 or wide open -

The lizard -

crop -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not bad Louis, a lot better than the similar Kiron I've got.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 great bargain Luis!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely rendered Luis.
My only Kobori lens is a Vivitar 28-200 which also gives excellent results. Over the years I have tried several other early "superzooms".
The lens is surprisingly good. I tested it against the Tokina and Cosina versions of the same Vivitar, and it was a clear winner over them.

http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-super-zoom-28-200-by-kobori-t67928.html

Thanks for this report
T

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kobori = Vivitar = Soligor = Tefnon = Clubman = Toyo = Ozunon = Ozone = Cimko ? My spreadsheet ( with a memory like mine it's the only way Rolling Eyes ) has a column for possible manufacturer and / or retailer, and these are the names attributed for a bunch of lenses I've got. And all the lenses are actually rather good, better than average lenses. And Kobori has that reputation.
I shall round the lenses up and start a topic, just to see if some of these lenses are actually Kobori?