Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 35-80mm ƒ/2.8-3.8 01A
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP 35-80mm ƒ/2.8-3.8 01A Reply with quote

Although this is a very well known lens I wanted to share my first test pics with it.

Original rubber hood was used but to be honest it looks too shallow.

All pictures were "Auto Toned" in Photoshop and that is the only post processing. 100% crops are from an APS-C sensor.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few of the images appear a bit overexposed. It looks an ok lens, and sharpness, for a zoom from that era is probably not bad.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO this is not all the performance you can get out of this lens.
It's even better than those images show.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum, I don't know what I have done wrong this time. There was hood on and there was auto-toning too. Na yeah overexposure is there most of the times, I have a hard time going around it I admit it.

Maybe I am just a bad wanna be photographer hehe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best feature of this lens is its close up focusing ability:

Some more shots from my sample.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta be honest, I am still waiting for constructive input. Saying "this is not the best you can get with the lens" won't help me.

I used AV mode so by letting the camera setting exposure by itself there is little I can do to avoid over exposing other than +/-2EV bracketing or locking ISO value.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, apart from overexposure, I think part of the problem is your focusing. To my eyes, some of these images are not in focus. What camera are you using, what type of focusing screen and lens to camera adaptor?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some constructive feedback:

* All images need to be bigger to evaluate properly
* The first image is a bit over exposed and suffering camera shake
* The second image looks ever so slightly mis-focused (or the lens is soft)
* The third looks good
* The 4th looks good, perhaps some slight camera shake
* The 5th is over exposed and clearly suffering camera shake
* The 6th is focused on the nose rather than the eye
* The 7th is focused on the line rather than the numbers (and is a difficult test anyway - shoot something flat if you are testing sharpness at that aperture)
* 8th and 9th look good

Overall, the lens is probably fine, just need to ensure you get a fast enough shutter speed and nail the focus Smile

Have fun!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
Hum, I don't know what I have done wrong this time. There was hood on and there was auto-toning too. Na yeah overexposure is there most of the times, I have a hard time going around it I admit it.

Next time try to use -0.7 EV + auto tone in post processing, in my experience better to use lower EV than 0.0 generally and fix it in computer if need.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
ChromaticAberration wrote:

Next time try to use -0.7 EV + auto tone in post processing, in my experience better to use lower EV than 0.0 generally and fix it in computer if need.

I have not tried that yet. Sony applies heavy post processing and camera jpgs always look washed out and overexposed. But if you develop the same raw images with GIMP, they will look underexposed and too high contrast.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Some constructive feedback:

* All images need to be bigger to evaluate properly
* The first image is a bit over exposed and suffering camera shake
* The second image looks ever so slightly mis-focused (or the lens is soft)
* The third looks good
* The 4th looks good, perhaps some slight camera shake
* The 5th is over exposed and clearly suffering camera shake
* The 6th is focused on the nose rather than the eye
* The 7th is focused on the line rather than the numbers (and is a difficult test anyway - shoot something flat if you are testing sharpness at that aperture)
* 8th and 9th look good

Thanks G, I gotta agree with you, many photos were taken at 1/50.

Attila wrote:

Thanks Attila, these were auto-toned as I mentioned, gotta try that next time.