Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Takumar Auto 85mm f1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Takumar Auto 85mm f1.8 Reply with quote

Today I had lucky day I lost an SMC Takumar 55mm f1.2 (friend of mine take it) Wink but I bought an Auto Takumar 85mm f1.8 lens. Any experience ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO direct, but a selerman told me, a long time ago, that the 85F/1,8 is better than the F/1,9, and that is really an excellent lens.

Good luck with it. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let we see I have not good experience with takumar lenses before super and smc takumars. I hope this one will be really great. I never seen any other copy locally and not seen many on Ebay I hope I made good deal.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Let we see I have not good experience with takumar lenses before super and smc takumars. I hope this one will be really great. I never seen any other copy locally and not seen many on Ebay I hope I made good deal.

Your former teached called me. She told me that you were to give it to me immediatly, or else!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this lens in both auto Takumar and SMC versions. Both are excellent and I think you should not be disappointed . As far as I am aware the two are essentially the same optically, except for the coating. Here is a test shot taken fully open with the later version. Note the nice Bokeh.

And here is another shot at longer distance of my front fence and street.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good news really ! Many thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attilla, in addition to optical quality, both lenses are nicely built (as were all Takumars, really.) I especially like the build of the auto takumar - that nice slide switch on the side and the heaviness of the lens. It is sweet! The only problem I have ever had with any Takumar lens is that the iris can become sticky and not stop down quickly but that has not been my experience with eitehr of these lenses and the auto takumars seem to be better than average in this respect.

When using the lens on a digital camera you will need to ignore the slide switch to some extent. Stop the lens down the first time then just open / close the aperture using the ring. (Of course the lens is designed to close down automatically when the shutter is fired but only on original cameras with the necessary mechanical actuating mechanism.) But you can use the ring to open the lens to focus if that is what you need to do, then again use the ring to close the lens to the desired aperture before shooting. This is a bit clunky but works well enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Takumar Auto 85mm f1.8 Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Today I had lucky day I lost an SMC Takumar 55mm f1.2 (friend of mine take it) Wink but I bought an Auto Takumar 85mm f1.8 lens. Any experience ?

Attila, the Auto Takumar 85/1.8 is the same lens as the later Super-Takumar 85/1.9 and Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 85/1.9. It is based on a 5 element/4 group formula and has the reputation of being a good portrait lens, a tad soft when used wide open. The sharpest and most sought after lens is the SMC-Takumar 85/1.8 in M42 mount or SMC-Pentax 85/1.8 in K mount, which has a different 6 element/6 group formula.

Here's a link to Frank Mechelhoff's page about these lenses (a must read): http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Pentax_Takumar_85mm.html

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm1 wrote:
The only problem I have ever had with any Takumar lens is that the iris can become sticky and not stop down quickly but that has not been my experience with eitehr of these lenses and the auto takumars seem to be better than average in this respect.

How common is that? I have one lens that has a icky iris, thats the 35mm. All others are surprisingly snappy. None of the other Takumars I have are oily or mean to me in anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Takumar Auto 85mm f1.8 Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:

Here's a link to Frank Mechelhoff's page about these lenses (a must read): http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Pentax_Takumar_85mm.html

Isn't that chrome Takumar lovely?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Takumar Auto 85mm f1.8 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Isn't that chrome Takumar lovely?

Yes, it's my dream lens, Pentax interpretation of the Sonnar. It's very rare, and so is the M37 to M42 adapter to make it usable on a modern camera. The Takumar 85/1.9 was also briefly made in M42 mount, but not with the gorgeous chrome finish, and it is even more uncommon than the M37 lens.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy can make the adapter for you if you find the lens:

http://www.adrianololli.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
This guy can make the adapter for you if you find the lens:

http://www.adrianololli.com

Thanks for the link, Orio.

Cheers!

Abbazz