Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super-Takumar 300/4 - good but ot a perfect match for SD15
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
300mm handheld is always a challenge, if you use long lenses often, perhaps you should think about a camera with in-body stabilisation, I think the Pentax DSLRs are supposed to be good in that regard. Or maybe you can try a monopod?

I have a K5 IIs and works well with this lens. May be the real problem lies in the lack of in-body stabilisation of SD15. Crying or Very sad r Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
Before you look for another lens, I suggest testing this one on a tripod and focusing carefully (using a LiveView feature if your camera has it). From 300mm up, it becomes challenging to handhold lenses on APS-C sensors. And then you also have the problem of focusing accurately.

The only problems that your images demonstrate are strong LoCA (visible in several shots, but best sample is on the grill of the Mercedes) and a muted color contrast, which is typical for Takumars. I doubt you have a bad copy.

Some tips for handholding:

- keep a fast shutter speed. For a 300mm lens try at least 1/500 until you get better with it
- brace yourself - hold your elbows next to your body, left hand closer to the front of the lens if possible, camera against your face
- lean on something if you can - wall, pillar, fence, whatever you can find will help
- control your breath. breath in, breath half of air out, then hold your breath and try to shoot in the next couple of seconds

Good luck!

Thanks for the useful tips. Smile Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Jupiter-36B? I know, It's not quite 300mm, but with a bit less reach and weight of about 1.5kg, it might be easier to hold steadily. Also, half stopped down is still faster than the other lenses wide open.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kNikS wrote:
How about Jupiter-36B? I know, It's not quite 300mm, but with a bit less reach and weight of about 1.5kg, it might be easier to hold steadily. Also, half stopped down is still faster than the other lenses wide open.

yeah, worth considering! Very Happy