Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super-Takumar 300/4 - good but ot a perfect match for SD15
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Super-Takumar 300/4 - good but ot a perfect match for SD15 Reply with quote

I am still finding a M42 perfect match for my SD15. This Super-Takumar 300/4 is not bad, but not outstanding. Anyone have any advice about which particular M42 MF lens match SD15 the best??

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tair 3?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
tair 3?

It's Super Takumar 300/4, not Tair-3 300/4.5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferrick wrote:
WolverineX wrote:
tair 3?

I think he was answering your question. But let me ask a new one. What is particularly wrong with these results?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferrick,

I think VolverineX is answering this question posed by the author:
Anyone have any advice about which particular M42 MF lens match SD15 the best???

EDIT: duble post...

Best regards,

Renato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhargav wrote:
ferrick wrote:
WolverineX wrote:
tair 3?

I think he was answering your question. But let me ask a new one. What is particularly wrong with these results?

OIC ! My apology to VolverineX !

My only issue with the lens is that it is not sharp on SD15.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
Ferrick,

Anyone have any advice about which particular M42 MF lens match SD15 the best???

Best regards,

Renato

I think I have a Tair-3. I have to dig it out and try it later then.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the camera body matters. Sharp is sharp, or not, no matter the body.
Now, its possible that a more dense sensor (pixels/mm^2) lets you pixel-peep more, so its easier to find defects in a lens and find the limit of its sharpness.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is shoot at f5.6 instead of wide open.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the hand held shots or did you use a tripod?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be your focusing screen. Is it sharp stopped down? I have lenses that, on my K-7, AF perfectly and MF somewhat soft because the focusing screen isn't shimmed perfectly. (With an AF lens, I can verify that the focus is off because of the focusing screen.) However, if you stop down to f8, f11, or f16, then most any tiny issue with the focusing screen will be a non-issue, so that will tell you if the issue is your lens or your focusing screen.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be your focusing screen. Is it sharp stopped down? I have lenses that, on my K-7, AF perfectly and MF somewhat soft because the focusing screen isn't shimmed perfectly. (With an AF lens, I can verify that the focus is off because of the focusing screen.) However, if you stop down to f8, f11, or f16, then most any tiny issue with the focusing screen will be a non-issue, so that will tell you if the issue is your lens or your focusing screen.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I don't think the camera body matters. Sharp is sharp, or not, no matter the body.
Now, its possible that a more dense sensor (pixels/mm^2) lets you pixel-peep more, so its easier to find defects in a lens and find the limit of its sharpness.

I see. Perhaps my copy of Super Takumar 300/4 has defect since my Takumar 200/3.5 performs much better (i.e. sharper) on SD15. : (

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The answer is shoot at f5.6 instead of wide open.

Yes, I know. But that will reduce some speed .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:

You are probably right that it's due to poor focusing. However, perhaps it's more due to my poor eyes than the screen. : (

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferrick wrote:
RSalles wrote:
Ferrick,

Best regards,

Renato

Yes, they are so small, they are easy to misplace Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
ferrick wrote:
RSalles wrote:
Ferrick,

Best regards,

Renato

Yes, they are so small, they are easy to misplace Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Yes, too small! Just a little bit taller than a 2L Coca Cola bottle. Laughing Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tair-3 is only so-so in sharpness wide open, but close it to 5.6 and it is very sharp. I wouldn't be surprised if your Takumar is the same. With a 300mm lens you're still going to have a shallow dof at 5.6. Honestly, I don't think you'll find a 300mm lens that is razor sharp wide open, they just weren't designed to be so.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Are the hand held shots or did you use a tripod?

No. It's my bad habit that I never use a tripod.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The Tair-3 is only so-so in sharpness wide open, but close it to 5.6 and it is very sharp. I wouldn't be surprised if your Takumar is the same. With a 300mm lens you're still going to have a shallow dof at 5.6. Honestly, I don't think you'll find a 300mm lens that is razor sharp wide open, they just weren't designed to be so.

I have a habit of not using any tripod. So, 5.6 handheld is increasing the challenge . Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

300mm handheld is always a challenge, if you use long lenses often, perhaps you should think about a camera with in-body stabilisation, I think the Pentax DSLRs are supposed to be good in that regard. Or maybe you can try a monopod?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you look for another lens, I suggest testing this one on a tripod and focusing carefully (using a LiveView feature if your camera has it). From 300mm up, it becomes challenging to handhold lenses on APS-C sensors. And then you also have the problem of focusing accurately.

The only problems that your images demonstrate are strong LoCA (visible in several shots, but best sample is on the grill of the Mercedes) and a muted color contrast, which is typical for Takumars. I doubt you have a bad copy.

Some tips for handholding:

- keep a fast shutter speed. For a 300mm lens try at least 1/500 until you get better with it
- brace yourself - hold your elbows next to your body, left hand closer to the front of the lens if possible, camera against your face
- lean on something if you can - wall, pillar, fence, whatever you can find will help
- control your breath. breath in, breath half of air out, then hold your breath and try to shoot in the next couple of seconds

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe I should give this lens a shot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="iangreenhalgh1"]300mm handheld is always a challenge, if you use long lenses often, perhaps you should think about a camera with in-body stabilisation, I think the Pentax DSLRs are supposed to be good in that regard. Or maybe you can try a monopod?[/quote]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="iangreenhalgh1"]300mm handheld is always a challenge, if you use long lenses often, perhaps you should think about a camera with in-body stabilisation, I think the Pentax DSLRs are supposed to be good in that regard. Or maybe you can try a monopod?[/quote]

I have a K5 IIs and works well with this lens. May be the real problem lies in the lack of in-body stabilisation of SD15. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad