Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super Takumar 1:1.8/55 repair/Internal paint removal
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks made it very clear appreciate your help!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youre welcome-

I think "Mal1905" made it very illustrative with his photos.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
THANK YOU.....Now when I get in there how is the best way to remove the paint? my guess just by what I see is it will fall off really easily...but that leaves me with the dilemma of do I repaint it with something ie to stop any more corrosion.
SkedAddled did mention maybe the back internal elements are separating,now this does not worry me to much if I can get a few years out of this lens then that is ok .I know the glass looks clear front and back so no having to clean glass just paint removal and maybe something I can put on the surface to re-coat it/protect it?Any ideas on what to do?
Mal you have no idea on how much this helps me....not only in confidence but a great visual aid.

I changed the title of this post to reflect better what it is about and that others can find it more easier

Glad to be able to help Mo-Fo Wink

As regards the elements separating - I don't think that this is the case with your lens. Having completely dismantled the lens (including unscrewing the 'optional' bits), I was left with individual pieces of glass (can't remember exactly how many, and am at work now), but none of which were stuck together.

Invest in a rubber air-blower (not sure whether or not canned air would damage the diaphragm blades) if you don't already have one, and perhaps a very small wire brush to remove any loose flakes of paint. If you do choose this route, BE CAREFUL!!! Try to brush off the flakes without getting them on or in the diaphragm blades, and use the blower regularly to remove excess flakes and dust.

The blower will also come in handy for getting rid of specks of dust off the individual components when re-assembling the lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having repaired more than a few lenses myself, I'm in agreement with Mal's advice. He mentions using a small wire brush. I would add to that, and specify my preference for a brass-wired brush rather than a steel-wired one. Brass is softer than steel and is less likely to abrade any surfaces.

You asked about what paint to use to replace that which flaked off. First, I would use the brass-wired brush to remove any loose paint, and if you can get it in there, I'd probably follow up with some medium grit sandpaper. Be sure to thoroughly blow out any debris after doing this. For paint, I would go with a flat-black enamel. And for this I'd take spray enamel, and spray a small amount into a disposable container until you have a small pool of it, then use a small artist's brush to brush the paint on just where it's needed. If you need to mask any areas, be sure to put down some masking tape first to protect any areas you don't want paint to get on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok you have given me plenty to work with...this may take awhile as I gather the required tools....and find some time when the kids are not around so I can concentrate Very Happy .It scares me but I have a set of great photos and advice to guide me...I will take photos as I go.

Any type of masking tape?

Small Update my repairer got back to me with a quote of under $66au which included a thorough clean and also painting with reflective paint...uhhh the dilemma,I don't want to jump out of doing it myself..but this I think is not a bad offer.and after all you guys went through to help...would you find it offensive if I jumped ship? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Ok you have given me plenty to work with...this may take awhile as I gather the required tools....and find some time when the kids are not around so I can concentrate Very Happy .It scares me but I have a set of great photos and advice to guide me...I will take photos as I go.

Any type of masking tape?

Small Update my repairer got back to me with a quote of under $66au which included a thorough clean and also painting with reflective paint...uhhh the dilemma,I don't want to jump out of doing it myself..but this I think is not a bad offer.and after all you guys went through to help...would you find it offensive if I jumped ship? Rolling Eyes

What's the latest on your Tak Mo-Fo? Did you DIY or send it to the repairman?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chickened out and sent it off....should be back in a few weeks along with my TLS nice and clean.I did however make my sink plug "beauty" ring remover and tried it out before I sent it off and it worked really smoothly.So while I did not "fix" this one I am going to put some effort into collecting the appropriate tools so next time I can get in there before I have time to think about sending it away.... Laughing
Mal your instructions won't go astray in helping someone and if ever I need them I know where to come...sorry I did not get to use them this time around.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Mal your instructions won't go astray in helping someone and if ever I need them I know where to come...sorry I did not get to use them this time around.

Don't worry about not using them MoFo, it was actually a bit of fun putting them together, and like you say, they're here and available if someone else needs to strip down a Tak Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what GREAT, simply but comprehensive instructions to take apart a Takumar lens THANK YOU Mal!
and I reckon this is the same with pretty much any Super / S-M-C / SMC Takumar, yes?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
what GREAT, simply but comprehensive instructions to take apart a Takumar lens THANK YOU Mal!
and I reckon this is the same with pretty much any Super / S-M-C / SMC Takumar, yes?

Thanks A Wink

This is the first one I've removed all the elements from, and I haven't attacked the diaphragm in one yet, but there are different methods required to dismantle other Takumars.

Some of them have small screws on the inside which need to be removed to get at the middle elements - others are different when it comes to removing the rear elements, but broadly speaking, they are pretty similar.

When I get time, I'll photograph the other variants and post them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent guide Mal, I just finished removing fungus from inside both the front and back elements of my newly arrived SMC 55. I also cleaned the sluggish aperture blades which now work great, the only thing left to do is the A/M switch which is locked on the A position, but I'm too chicken to attack it and will probably keep the lens as is.

Now if only I managed to clean the lenses without leaving streaks and smudges on the coating, I'd be a happy man. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
Excellent guide Mal, I just finished removing fungus from inside both the front and back elements of my newly arrived SMC 55. I also cleaned the sluggish aperture blades which now work great, the only thing left to do is the A/M switch which is locked on the A position, but I'm too chicken to attack it and will probably keep the lens as is.

Now if only I managed to clean the lenses without leaving streaks and smudges on the coating, I'd be a happy man. Smile

Glad to be able to help you Wink

With regard to your A/M switch; take a close look at the back of the lens.

Last edited by Mal1905 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I don't know how I missed this great thread before! Thanks for the brilliant photo guide Mal.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the lens repair and seeing some pics, Mo-Fo. It's worked out expensive for you but I'm certain you'll be delighted when you see what this lens can do.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mal, my lens appears to be fully functional. I re-cleaned the inner elements with some acetone and all looks good now. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:

With regard to your A/M switch; take a close look at the back of the lens. You'll see a tiny pin [photo below] which - when depressed - should 'unlock' the A/M switch for you.

Mal, you just fixed my stuck switch on my s-m-c 85/1.8 ... thank you very much! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy