Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Suntar 135/2.8 - about as cheap as it gets
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Suntar 135/2.8 - about as cheap as it gets Reply with quote

I bough this lens used thirty years ago. It was the cheapest 135 I could find, and it looked it - poor fit and finish, it rattled, and it still does. But then its served me well ever since. Not fancy, I just put it on my Pentax and it took pictures very well and reliably.

Sun Optical Co. was one of the first Japanese third-party lens manufacturers, starting with Leica mount products in the 1950's, and unlike many it always sold a lot of its production under its own brands, though its lenses were also often sold under distributors brands. This particular model is often seen as a Hanimex. But it was always a low-cost low-quality manufacturer. Sun disappeared in the 1980's. This lens dates to the early-mid 1970's.

It was auto-only, so I modified it for the DSLR by reversing an internal spring to make it a manual only. It seems to have quite a lot of contrast, surprisingly, though it is not as sharp as some of my other 135's. I guess this is another case of it being very hard to find a really bad 135.

Samples -

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis, it's not fair, because every lens you shoot with, looks like the best lens around! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a very good photographer, I'm just obsessed.

If I take 100 pictures, one will be good, no matter what a duffer I am.

The DSLR makes it easy to take hundreds and toss almost all away.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man,
You should just sell all your lenses for travel money. Pack up your family, buy them a couple sodas at the airport, and use the bottles for lenses. I for one would be jealous of all the shots you came home with. Kudos brother really Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Jealous - moi? Reply with quote

Ok let's get this straight - this is a cheap nasty lens? So how come it makes expensive lovely pictures?

As death was rumoured to have said.. there's no justice... only me!

Great photo's I'll take that lens off your hands if...? lol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought two new (never used before) Fujinon EBC 135/3.5 for 25 euro from local vendor . That is the best bargain I have ever achieved.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have always very good result, even with crappy lenses. Very nice samples! Your son is an excellent modell , very nice potrait!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a brother of my beroflex

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Suntar does look a lot like the Beroflex. Beroflex was a German distributors brand I believe.

I may have seen the same lens as a Vemar also, but much more common as a Hanimex; I believe Hanimex sold mostly in the US and Asia.

Its just one of the many lens designs that was sold through the lower category of dealers in the 1970's, at the top of the SLR boom.

Fujinons of any kind for 12.5 Euros is an excellent bargain.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Suntar 135/2.8 - about as cheap as it gets Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

The first shot (boat) is very nice Smile
Something bother me in the way you cropped in the second picture of your son, but other than this, very nice shots Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful Luis. I shudder to think what you will do with a lens that you rate highly! Smile Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting lens! How close can it actually focus?
The shots look pretty sharp. I have a Berolina Westromat 135 too, and it looks rather soft wide open, at f:3.5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add Montgomery-Ward to the list of brands put on the front of this lens!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice portraits!

sunshine wrote:
Pack up your family, buy them a couple sodas at the airport, and use the bottles for lenses

Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hanimar like this which I picked up for £3.99 delivered Shocked No-one wanted it, yes performance is superb, with excellent bokeh.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Beroflex was a German distributors brand I believe.

EXACT
luisalegria wrote:
I believe Hanimex sold mostly in the US and Asia.

Hanimex sold also a lot in Europe (In france there was a Hanimex France subsidiary)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would never know it was cheap looking at the pictures.

Your son is a cute little guy.