Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Summilux 1.4/50mm, Leitz Wetzlar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Summilux 1.4/50mm, Leitz Wetzlar Reply with quote

Here i want to introduce my Leitz Wetzlar Summilux 1.4/50mm MK II

The lens performs at the very high Leitz standard in mechanic and optics.
Heavy build with a weight of 451 grams (Adapter to EOS included).
The mechanical precision is very good and the optical schema
8 Elements in 7 Groups.
The aperture is build with 6 blades, but gives a nice bokeh in my opininon.
Thats one of the lenses which gives you the lovely catseye effect and the so called "Swirly Bokeh"

First the "Catseyes"..

Aperture stops are 1.4-2-2.8-4-5.6-8-11-16, half f/stops assigned.
The filter diameter is E55 (55mm) and the lens has a build in hood.

Sample of the "Swirly Bokeh"

and a crop out of it...

The sharpness is fantastic. At f/2, the lens outperforms my Summicron for sure and gives me much better results.
Leitz didnt recommanded to use the lens in the nearfield, so they didnt make an Elpro for that lens. But i think you can use the lens also for that...

And a crop from that.

The Summilux is a very good lens for available light situations

Highlights in the OOF are very clean and the lens can handle lights in the image nearly perfect.

In daylight situations.. with reflecting metallic surfaces..

And a crop from that image

Its an expensive lens also second hand, but IMHO its on of the bests..

(All shots taken on EOS 5 D most of them at 1.4 !! No further proscessing, just in DPP converted to JPG)

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:28 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have this lens, but it hasn't been "love at first use" for me, although it give for sure great images.
Maybe I still have to use it in the right situation. I didn't use it too much, and the most important occasion was for a glamour/nude session with studio lights. I think natural light is probably better for this lens.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Leica" - 'nuff said. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I also have this lens, but it hasn't been "love at first use" for me, although it give for sure great images.
Maybe I still have to use it in the right situation. I didn't use it too much, and the most important occasion was for a glamour/nude session with studio lights. I think natural light is probably better for this lens.

For me its the other way around. I didnt use this lens til now for studio work, only in natural light..

And there, this lens is great..

another shot wide open..

A friend of mine is sculptor... one of his works.. Summilux at f/1.4 or f/2
(dont remember exactly)

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am waiting to use it more before I take a final decision, but for the moment, I think I prefer my Summicron.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I am waiting to use it more before I take a final decision, but for the moment, I think I prefer my Summicron.

For me also it did take a bit of time to find out, which one i should prefer.
I did work with near all Summicron R Version from 1968 till this one.
I did own several Summicrons and two Summilux lenses.

Later on, i decided to let my Summicrons go, because the sharpness of the Summi in the Corners at f/2 IMHO is nearly the same if not better. The speed advantage for natural light conditions in addition with the Bokeh, lets me decide this.

Stopped down, there are no really big differences in both. Maybe the Cron is less vignetting at 2 and 2.8. But the behavior for example in Nightshoots with lights in the szene, its much better for my opinion.

In the close up area, the Summilux give astonishing effects with this "SWIRL". Also the Catseyes are nice to see under some circumstance the can add a bit of the BIOTAR Feeling in the Image.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice lens and I read it have great flare resistance

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Summilux is a great lens, my everyday-on-the-camera-one.
I heard very good things about the Summicron, and I decided to give it a try, but I really did not find advantages over the Summilux, except maybe less weight and smaller size. So I decided, that I will resell the Summicron again and will stick to the S'lux.

Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a spectacular lens and very fine samples of what it can do

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geeeez, that Poppy flower looks to bust out all over. I can hear the little bomb ticking. Laughing
Nice capture!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive pictures - it is indeed a nice lens. I had a chrome one in the early 70s (serial number low 2 millions) but changed it for a close-focus Summicron because at the time I fancied having the nearer focusing facility and didn't do much available light photography. Back then, nobody - but nobody - used f1.4 apertures in bright light. "Bokeh" hadn't been invented Very Happy .

At the time I only used Kodachrome II and I was convinced the Summilux gave a more "punchy" image at apertures wider than f4 but for me "the balance of virtues" tipped the scales in favour of the Summicron - at apertures smaller than f4 there seemed no difference, it focused closer (which suited my photography then) and the loss of one f-stop was something I could live with. I think the weight was about the same, maybe the Summicron was actually a bit heavier when you add in the close-up viewfinder unit.

If I could have afforded both, I would have kept them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the cool bokeh :) and seems to be really sharp, judging by the poppy flower picture. Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just managed to catch this nice Taunus 17m with the Summilux few minutes ago. Noticed it standing in the neighbourhood. Hurried back with my camera and caught him just in time before leaving.

Sigma SD14 + Summilux 1,4/50 #293....

Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beautiful car :)
My grandfather used to have one like this when he was young..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larsr wrote:
What a beautiful car Smile
My grandfather used to have one like this when he was young..

They don't build cars like this anymore. It's a shame.
I often think, it would be great to have modern technology, such ad hybrid drive, in a shape like this.