Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Suggestions on which version of the Helios 44 I should get?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Suggestions on which version of the Helios 44 I should get? Reply with quote

I was thinking of getting a helios 44 but just not sure which version is good for me. There are so many versions in numbers and I saw on ebay that there's also a start version with a bar on the focusing ring. There's also a zebra version and a version with the A/M switch. And I have no idea which one I should get.

Basically I am thinking of getting this lens to add some flavour to my system because of it's swirly bokeh. And I'm planning to use it on an NEX-5N. But heard that some versions have the swirly effect and some don't. And some are sharper in the middle some aren't. Which version should I get? I have a Nikkor 50mm 1.4 AI which is not the sharpest wide open compared to others like Taks and Zeiss or Rokkors but is good enough for me. So was thinking of getting something different, that's not about sharpnest but more about effects and flavours in a cheap price.

I searched and found that the 44m-6 is pretty good. Some also say the 44m-3. What's the difference between the black ones and the silver ones with the red p sign on it?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly the older the better. Mine is a 44-2, I like it, but I cannot tell yo if you can get a better version since I never owned any other.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 44-3 and like it very much (maybe not the buildquality), cant compare to much though since I havent tried the others.

Front of MC Helios 44-3 58mm/2 by Mattias Wirf, on Flickr

Helios rose 2 by Mattias Wirf, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my 44M-4, but not for its sharpness. The local market here is flooded with them, but the copies vary so much that it's a lottery really. 44-2 is said to be much better.

BTW, you say your Nikon 50 1.4 is not as sharp wide open as the Takumars, right?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 44-3,made by Belomo, same as Prometheus. The build quality, on my copy, is very good. All metal, smooth focus ring and easily operating aperture rings. Sharp, bokeh depends from distance to for- or background ... Comparing to the 44m-4, that i also have, it's better in every aspect. Don't have the 44-2, but they say it is less sharper but have smoother bokeh.
They are cheap, so you can buy not just one version and compare them yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had quite a lot of versions and while later ones may look slightly sharper, my favorite for character operation and build quality was 44-2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take any of them what come first to your way, all good enough.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two each of the 44M and the 44-2. I don't pixel peep to any great degree, so I won't comment on the differences. I like both types a great deal.

On a NEX I prefer the 44-2 with its stop down ring at the front, I set the main aperture ring wide open and with the NEX at waist height flick the stop down ring back and forwards to get the aperture I want using my left hand thumb and first finger - which seems natural as I cradle the camera. I use my right hand to help support the camera and fire the shutter with my thumb. It's a very easy and natural way to use the lens. I've had some excellent results with both lenses, but the 44-2 is always my first choice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 2 44Ms, 2 44-2s and a 44M-4. I couldn't tell the difference between shots taken with any of them. They all punch above their weight.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm IIRC I've read somewhere that the symbol on the lens dust cover ensures a better product (explains where it is made)...I was pleased that my 44m has a sorta bird flying in a pyramid with the top sliced off...Oh btw the results from the lens are good.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will soon be listing some lenses for sale, including a very nice 44-3.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Attila says, at the price they reach, all of them are good.
I own the original Helios-44 and a couple of Helios 44-2, to me the original is the one which gives the sharpest and neatest results.
I also got a 44-M4 that was incredibly sharp, but as mentioned above by Lena, the results vary from copy to copy and it's a lottery.
As a rule of thumb, the older the better.

A few samples with the Helios-44 on the Oly E-P1:

The lens itself:

Wide open:

@f8:

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one that I didn't like was a 44(non red P) sn00xxxxx with 13 blade iris, the flare was nasty and purple.
The red P version is said to be the best.

My 44-2(KMZ the same factory as my 44) is great, sharp and contrasty.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the 44M? Is it the same as the 44? But on eBay the 44M is actually black and the 44 is silver and some is with a handle on the focus ring some don't.
And in general the 44M and 44-2 are the cheapest on eBay. The silver red p version is perhaps the most expensive. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4x helios 2 44-2 1x 44m-4 and a 44m they are all very nice not much difference between them but the 44m i got was almost new and super sharp at f2
Advantage is the a/m switch no mods needed on it

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena wrote:
I love my 44M-4, but not for its sharpness. The local market here is flooded with them, but the copies vary so much that it's a lottery really. 44-2 is said to be much better.

BTW, you say your Nikon 50 1.4 is not as sharp wide open as the Takumars, right?

lol just my assumption cause I don't actually have a Tak 50 1.4 to compare. But since I have a Nikon 50mm 1.8 too and even when both at 1.8 I think the 50mm 1.8 is a little sharper. The 1.4 is a little soft wide open. And so I assume if even the 50mm 1.8 is sharper than the 1.4 wide open, then I guess The Tak is also sharper than the Nikkor 1.4 wide open. Should better google and see if anybody has done a comparison though. But it's all academic cause when they are beyond f2 I don't think I can notice much difference between them anyways.

But of course depends on good and bad copy too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their order of manufacture (IIRC): 44Π & 44>44-2>44m>44m-(1,2,3,4,5,6,7)
44-2 is built like a tank, and easy to work on.
The 44M's and later seem to be as good optically, with the 44Π(red P) being the best(with possible Zeiss glass/coatings/assembly)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the revision 5 and 6 of this lens.

I am of the belief that they get sharper as the renditions progress, however as others have stated the 44-m2 is supposed to be the one with the most character.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruzzo

Ah have several different Helios 2/58s...

Helios 44 - m39, silver, 13 blades

Helios 44 - m42, black+white, 8 blades

Helios 44-2 - m42, black+white, 8 blades

Helios 44M (A/M switch) - m42, classic colours, 8 blades

Ah find that they all have different characteristics and ah use slightly different methods, when using them , to get the best out of them.

They are all sharp, especially from f4 and of course have that swirly bokeh which can be as intrusive or complementary as you want.

Have a look at no-X's thread "a complete list of Helios lenses-getting closer" - http://forum.mflenses.com/complete-list-of-helios-lenses-getting-closer-t26100.html
Cool

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun, a few from my 44-3...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the 44-2 over the 44-3,44-m and 44-m4.
But there are a lot of post on that helios, particularly some of no-X detailing all the versions :

http://forum.mflenses.com/complete-list-of-helios-lenses-getting-closer-t26100,highlight,%2Bhelios+%2B44.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/color-cast-of-sever-helios-lenses-test-t28049,highlight,%2Bhelios+%2B44.html

But you should take into account the wide variability between the lenses due to very low quality control...
They are so inexpensive that you can try some !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two wide open shots from Helios 81N in Nikon mount

no PP ( just this frame )

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one 44-2 and one 44-3. The 44-3 is better optically but the difference is negligible, the 44-2 is better mechanically and you can feel it at first touch. That's why I use the 44-2 more.

Also bear in mind, that different versions have different filter diameters (49mm vs 52mm).

I usually carry a 49mm close-up lens in my bag and it works nicely with the 44-2:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can now give you a definitive answer to your question:

If you are going to be shooting test charts, go for the red P 44
If you are going to shoot photographs, go for the first cheap, good condition one of any series Helios 44 - you won't be disappointed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
I think I can now give you a definitive answer to your question:

If you are going to be shooting test charts, go for the red P 44
If you are going to shoot photographs, go for the first cheap, good condition one of any series Helios 44 - you won't be disappointed.

+1