Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Strictly Yashica Electro 35G Thread - New Images Jan 30
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Strictly Yashica Electro 35G Thread - New Images Jan 30 Reply with quote

I just got back some negs from the Yashica Electro 35G.

This beauty of a camera was a nostalgic treasure given to me by F16SUNSHINE, and I can't say enough what it means to have this camera in my hands again after 39 years (where did all those years go?).

I shot a roll of HP5 black and white, and a roll of Fuji Reala print film. Here is the first shot from the Reala. I picked it, because it simply is print #1 and the first image I've taken from this beautifully designed camera!

The shot was on a recent sunny(!) day at the grounds of the golf course where I live (I never play golf, go figure!).

So, while this isn't exactly my usual "wilderness" image, I still like it for testing various elements in the scene, and the characteristics of how the Yashinon lens picks them up. And, of course, it's just a short walk to this little area of man-made beauty.

I scanned it normally, and cropped it a little to get some ugly looking leaves out of the periphery of the scene. That's about it, though.

The Yashinon 45/1.7 lens is outstanding. I am pleased, and plan on using this exquisitely designed camera a lot. It's a blast to use, with a unique metering scheme that is fast and very accurate.

This image could possibly benefit from some sharpening, but I still like it right out of the camera. The Reala film emulsion is really quite natural in its color rendition, and is coupled with the lens nicely, in my opinion. There a little bit of blur in the very bottom of the scene, but a higher f:stop would take care of that nicely next time.

I wanted to hand-hold the camera, so elected a more open lens with a faster shutter speed (the camera picks the shutter speed, based on where I set the exposure value). Hyperfocal focus (my own sort of "guess") was optimized on the red colored new growth in the upper center of the image.

Keep in mind that the negative is sparkling sharp on the lightbox with a study of the small bushes under a loupe'. My scans of 35mm are mostly crap, although this one isn't the worst I've seen come out of my scanner. Confused

Slanted Winter Sun at McCormick Woods

Yashica Electro 35G
Yashinon SX 45/1.7 lens
f:5.6, shutter speed unknown
Fuji Reala 100

Last edited by Laurence on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the colors of this scan are magical
usually you were on the cold side for yours older scans but this one is warm like honey.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second poilu's comment. It makes it look like a magical place.
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful colour and detail!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the Electro 35 out of my coat pocket at the beach, and came in close to this pitted sandstone mass. The detail is very good, coming right out of the camera with no sharpening applied.

Yashica Electro 35 G
Yashinon 45/1.7
f:16, 1/60th second
Ilford HP5

On the way home, I stopped to take the last shot on the roll of this sailboat against a distant fogbank. I like the simplicity, and the Yashinon lens comes through with plenty of detail. What a handy camera!

Yashica Electro 35 G
Yashinon 45/1.7
f:8, 1/125th
Ilford HP5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence, you always take wonderful shots, no matter which camera you have in hands...

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry

It's great to see you have the Electro out and about. I'm sure that camera will have a happy life Very Happy

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the boat and the essential composition.
The pitted sandstone is a true masterpiece IMO - perfect blend of careful composition, great detail, natural shapes and expressive B&W
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the stone is a great blend of composition, tone and form.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry

I dont care what camera you use - the pics are always lovely to look at

patrickh