Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Street Food Worker
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Street Food Worker Reply with quote

All photos taken with Distagon 1.4/35 Rollei.

Thanks for viewing Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First shot is very colorful, the classic cars on the sign just pop.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmelvis wrote:
First shot is very colorful, the classic cars on the sign just pop.

Thanks Melvis. Well, the colours were the last reason I took these photos for Laughing
I come back to Busseto every year this time and while I'm there, I take photos of this girl. She's very friendly she lets me take them no problem.
In change I give the photos to her father for promotion of their family business.
I think she has one of the most intense faces that I ever saw. She could be an actress, every photo of her tells a story.
She's not a beauty in the "perfection" meaning of the word, but she's so intense.
In several photos of this series I took her by surprise during her work which most of the time is... waiting.
In the first time - you can not see at this size - she's gazing at me.
In the second one she was concentrated in her work, I was very close (lens is 35mm) but she did not notice me taking the photo.
I could not ask better from a model - I don't like models that are "aware". This moment is 100% true, it's her doing her job. I love that.
It's not a comfortable work, all day in the cold serving smelly greasy food for noisy and sometimes rude people.
I'm very happy of this image #2 because I think it conveys that bit sad mood.
She's not posing, she's really working class - it's real social photography.
#3 she notices me and strikes a pose for me, but whenever I see this photo I think of those verses by Jackson Browne:

Quote:
And at the moment that my camera happened to find you
There was just a trace of sorrow in your eyes

#4 I catched a bit of dialogue amongst the tools of the work
#5 typical clients, I had to take this one Rolling Eyes
#6 is wow photo for me, like #2 it is one of those "a movie in a photo" photos that are so rare but I love to take. She's around 18-19 but she looks 10 years older in this photo.
Her gaze in the empty probably hides a stream of thoughts that no one else will ever know.

I'm so happy of the performance of the Rollei Distagon 1.4/35 in this series, it gave me exactly what I wanted:
in the portraits, focus on the subject and soft isolation from the surrounding objects while still leaving them identifyable - because the context is important, objects must not be "washed out".
In the more descriptive shots #4 and #5, I stopped down more and the lens rendered well the whole scenery - but always with an organic quality which I love -
never harsh as it unfortunately happens with so many (most) other wide angle lenses.
I love this lens more and more with the passing years.

I'm very happy of this series because I think it works on two levels - as social photography, and as intimist as well.
It's a snapshot of Italy's working class of 2012, and a bit of the story of a girl, as well.
In fact, I'm a bit sad that nobody saw what I see in these photos. But maybe it's me who is seeing too much in these Rolling Eyes

I want to take more photos of working people in this year, definitely. Call it my new theme for the future.
There are few moments in life that are so true as when people works. I love that type of sincerity in the photos.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like you said, your pictures are very "intimist" and it makes very difficult to comments, at least for me.....but with all your explanation, the all reportage makes more sense and I don't look your pictures now with the same eyes......
She looks pretty sad and it is quite visible on the picture #3, and your verse from Jakson Browne describe indeed perfectly the picture.....it makes me also thinking about the song from a french guy Alain Souchon (not as famous as Jackson Brown!): "Taillez la zone"...that girl who has a "boring" life/work and dream about an other life.....
well, I can only say with simple words: you did an excellent work with this reportage.......

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
that girl who has a "boring" life/work and dream about an other life.....

Thanks Pascal, you understood exactly what I wanted to show. Very Happy
I like my pictures when they turn out technically good, but I like better those which have a human content. In this case, I think I managed both, so I'm very happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great series, would be nice if others let you pic them to make a reportage of your region

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another wonderful series with this combination camera/lens. it is my favorite combination of yours, and i think it may be the best quality combination of camera and lens i have yet seen. the pictures themselves are wonderful as well; they tell a story, and when one can learn to tell a story with a still photograph, one has elevated the art of photography.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful photos - especially the first one - and a beautiful girl.
such scenes can be found im the usa, too, in small towns ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the story you wrote makes it clear - i didn´t realize that before reading it - thought it were snapshots of a day off after joking with the young lady.
I like your idea very much. With that in mind, both series are excellent done with the dominating colours of the surfaces and the subtile expressions of the "actors"