Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some Lubitel shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Some Lubitel shots Reply with quote

I was given a Lubitel 2 a while back and was planning to get rid of it. I ran one roll of film through it and got hooked. Why I prefer it to the more advanced better made Yashica Mat G defies logic. Anyway, here are a few from the latest roll which was Kodak Tri-X 100, commercial dev and scan.

All the shots from that roll can be found at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31364196@N04/sets/72157624379744462/

Best wishes, Kris.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done, love the detail and tones in these. The Lubitel seems to have
an adequate lens indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good shots and tones, worth of rescanning I think. There is a bit too much contrast and/or sharpening in these commercial scans I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri-X 100?

Love the look the kit gives. Triplet lens? Is the Lubitel a little more reliable than run-of-the-mill FEDs and Zorkis?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lens has some more swirly bokeh ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice result I guess best one what I seen from this camera! Congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like 2nd and 3rd for that crazy out of focus area Smile and for some spaciousness.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
good shots and tones, worth of rescanning I think. There is a bit too much contrast and/or sharpening in these commercial scans I think.

The original scans were very flat and the "black point" was about 1/3 along the histogram so I stretched them out to up the contrast and have probably lost a lot of the subtlety in the negatives in the process. I don't have a 120 compatible scanner so they will have to wait until I get a chance to use the scanner at work.

Thanks for the kind comments all.

BTW, I try a shoot wide open especially to make the most of the whacky bokeh! Not bad for a free camera.

Best wishes, Kris.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good rendition in terms of contrast, nice b&w as well, like the graveyard in the 2nd.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive shots from a Lubitel 2. I have one too and there's something nice about their simplicity. Very Happy

3rd photo is my favorite.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your cam the Lomo-grade Lubitel?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the tractor shot and the industrial shot (the vignette is cool too), but I agree that there is a lot of contrast in those shots. That's not to say I don't like it, but it is noticeable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the out of focus areas that give it the character. I agree about the contrast but the thing that really hits me are the compression fringes and jaggies on diagonal edges caused by severe sharpening. It's all a matter of taste, of course, and a lot of people don't seem to notice it at all.

They're nice compositions with subjects well chosen for black and white and the camera.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out yours is not the newest Lomography type ...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
It's the out of focus areas that give it the character. I agree about the contrast but the thing that really hits me are the compression fringes and jaggies on diagonal edges caused by severe sharpening. It's all a matter of taste, of course, and a lot of people don't seem to notice it at all.

They're nice compositions with subjects well chosen for black and white and the camera.

The sharpening issues are one problem with using commercial scans. I don't have the facility to do them myself. Although I could do them at work, I have not had time to try that yet.

K.