Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some BW from NEX5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Some BW from NEX5 Reply with quote

last weekend. manual lenses fans from various cities gathered in my city. We had good times. more than 100 people shared each other.
Some shots I took BW from NEX. edit only resize, increase/decrease contrast/brightness. and maybe little crop

I'd like to know your comment/critic of them, as I want to shot straight BW without to much edit in PC. too lazy me Very Happy
Thanks
Zenitar m 50/1,7 (All wideopen)

Samyang 8mm

Last edited by IAZA on Thu May 24, 2012 1:18 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see any pics!?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
I can't see any pics!?

Me neither. Sad

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I re-upload in here, link doesn't work today. I saw it worked yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nEX cameras really do a fine job, and they are so small!

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series, but what's going on in the last pic?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick, Martin.
martinsmith99 wrote:
Nice series, but what's going on in the last pic?

To get pict #1, we had to did like last pict Very Happy
That's more like behind scene shot
My friend gave his cam to that old man so they had some different style Wink to shot

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots and the photos have a quality that reminds me of some printed in an old book I own.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ones, you made a nice job in mimicking film, these are some of the most convincing digital B&W that I have seen recently.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks skida, this series was hold by my friends and me, the concept was arranged to explore our traditional legacy/
Orio, Thanks for your appreciation. BW is not my type actually, but I like it let say 2 of 10 shots. Usually I convert color to BW.
1 more..

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all of them are good pics, my favs are the 2 last ones, where the photographing crown is around the old man

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's indeed a very nice B&W serie! The last one is quite funny with the old man looking to (probably!) himself on the cam's LCD and all your collegues continuing to shot him .Very Happy ....

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #1. You made some very nice decisions. The composition, the focus, the timing of the shot are well done. #2 and #3 have light reflections on his eye glasses, and I think this would be better if we could see his eyes. It is a problem that I always look for with eye glass wearers, and sometimes moving slightly can help. I am not shy about asking someone to move their head, either.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful not to exceed with contrast anyway. Digital and film have different curves, B&W film can handle contrast much better,
whereas digital easily gives itself away when you push on contrast too much (highlights become super bright more abruptly).
Your last picture is an example of this.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pascal, & Thomas:D
Orio wrote:
Careful not to exceed with contrast anyway. Digital and film have different curves, B&W film can handle contrast much better,
whereas digital easily gives itself away when you push on contrast too much (highlights become super bright more abruptly).
Your last picture is an example of this.

Thanks Orio, I guess this is goes for good film, like ilfors etc. My experience with Lucky BW is different, it's always prone to strong light.
This need more practice.

Quote:
I like #1. You made some very nice decisions. The composition, the focus, the timing of the shot are well done. #2 and #3 have light reflections on his eye glasses, and I think this would be better if we could see his eyes. It is a problem that I always look for with eye glass wearers, and sometimes moving slightly can help. I am not shy about asking someone to move their head, either.

Thanks Aspen, I noticed that too, I should shot him from different angle.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:

They may not be completely lost though. I would play around with the dodge/burn tool in PS and try to tinker with them. #3 would be difficult, but because he is looking away from the camera it isn't as important. It, still has a strong "feel" over-all, and I wouldn't toss it away. But #2, because he is looking directly into the camera, I think any detail that you can pull out might help. Smile
The shot #4 of the lady with the cloth material. If you had taken two step backwards, and then, two or three steps to the right. The woman in the background would not have her head cut off, and the seated lady would have feet Smile And I think the separation of the background lady TO BEHIND the first white cloth would be dynamic, also.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 and the last one are my favs! nicely shot and pp'ed my friend!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspen wrote:
IAZA wrote:

They may not be completely lost though. I would play around with the dodge/burn tool in PS and try to tinker with them. #3 would be difficult, but because he is looking away from the camera it isn't as important. It, still has a strong "feel" over-all, and I wouldn't toss it away. But #2, because he is looking directly into the camera, I think any detail that you can pull out might help. Smile
The shot #4 of the lady with the cloth material. If you had taken two step backwards, and then, two or three steps to the right. The woman in the background would not have her head cut off, and the seated lady would have feet Smile And I think the separation of the background lady TO BEHIND the first white cloth would be dynamic, also.

Thanks for your input, really appriciate

Quote:
#3 and the last one are my favs! nicely shot and pp'ed my friend!

Thanks Hari, NEX is good enough so that I only need little PP Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep coming back and having another look. I think I have worked out what I like about the quality of the processing: There are good strong blacks, but very little complete whites and that gives the look of vintage book plate prints. They all work for me.