Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 9 Thy name shall any more be called Kiron but Kobori
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Soligor 9 Thy name shall any more be called Kiron but Kobori Reply with quote

Soligor lenses starting with number 9 were thought to be made by Kiron. Number 9 is followed by year of manufacture.
Well comparing KIRON lenses i've seen with Soligor 9 family bellow i don't see much in common:

See how close some relatives are:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Soligor 70-150 zoom with the same barrel design as the lenses in your last pic, I'm pretty sure it was made by Tamron. Was a good lens for an old zoom.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I had a Soligor 70-150 zoom with the same barrel design as the lenses in your last pic, I'm pretty sure it was made by Tamron. Was a good lens for an old zoom.

Even all SUN's from this topic: http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-3-my-sun-zoom-family-t54946.html
have the same barrel design. And Tokina lenses (made for Soligor) from that period too. It was strict Soligor's design demand.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they look the same because Soligor demanded a certain styling, that makes sense. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
So they look the same because Soligor demanded a certain styling, that makes sense. Smile

Yes, I think Soligor specified a 'look' and that's what every supplier provided. I've got 2 Kobori / Vivitar zooms - probably the same era - and there are no style / design features that I can match to any Soligor, either those I have or any pictured.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, never saw this 70-210mm F3.5 Soligor, I saw only Tokina made version Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Soligor lens for Olympys OM with the number 89000129, and alo the lens for Konica with the number 285000666. Do you have nay idea who prodacted that lenses?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor 9 Thy name shall any more be called Kiron but Ko Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Soligor lenses starting with number 9 were thought to be made by Kiron. Number 9 is followed by year of manufacture.
Well comparing KIRON lenses i've seen with Soligor 9 family bellow i don't see much in common:

i would more say Kobori (Tefnon) rather than Kiron (or both ??) because i saw the 35/70 2.5-3.5 and 28/200 3.5-5.3 which both ARE kobori made

these lenses are ALL kobori's (look to the same IR index design)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor 9 Thy name shall any more be called Kiron but Ko Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
...these lenses are ALL kobori's (look to the same IR index design)

I am glad you agree.

Honestly you can find IR design exactly like that on nr.3 starting zooms (SUN) too. Soligor specifications were very strict i guess.

Here, first time i see 70-160mm selling as native Tefnon (Kobori) branded: Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor 9 Thy name shall any more be called Kiron but Ko Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
PBFACTS wrote:

I am glad you agree.

Honestly you can find IR design exactly like that on nr.3 starting zooms (SUN) too. Soligor specifications were very strict i guess.

Here, first time i see 70-160mm selling as native Tefnon (Kobori) branded: Click here to see on Ebay

The only MANDATORY part of soligor design from ~1975 was the very small diamonds shape rubber ring
ALL soligor lenses had that rubber ring

+ Most (not all) C/D lenses were glossy finished

Except that, Tokina lenses had Tokina look; Sun lenses had Sun Look, Kobori lenses had kobori look..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor 9 Thy name shall any more be called Kiron but Ko Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
Pancolart wrote:
PBFACTS wrote:

I am glad you agree.

The only MANDATORY part of soligor design from ~1975 was the very small diamonds shape rubber ring

+ Most (not all) C/D lenses were glossy finished

Except that, Tokina lenses had Tokina look; Sun lenses had Sun Look, Kobori lenses had kobori look..

Nah, you must be kidding. Only serious collector would separate one from another. Sometimes i still get overwhelming moment thinking Soligor made lens bodies himself.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor 9 Thy name shall any more be called Kiron but Ko Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:

What do you say about this one?

Its grip is identical to the original Tefnon lens.

Last edited by dimitrygo on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the later MC Chinon lenses appear with that diamond rubber pattern as well. Most of those are Tamron designs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed this thread. I have a 9 serial starter 35mm 3.5 with "italic" script. It doesn`t resemble these though. It looks more like my Tokina? 1 serial number 180mm 3.5....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca wrote:
I noticed this thread. I have a 9 serial starter 35mm 3.5 with "italic" script. It doesn`t resemble these though. It looks more like my Tokina? 1 serial number 180mm 3.5....

I have this lens, with a slightly higher serial number, and it is almost certainly a different manufacturer to the other 'chrome eared' Soligors that I have - I accept that it's a Kino / Kiron ( the same as my 400mm chrome eared lens ) but different from the 135, 200 & 300 which I think are Tokina and Sun, especially the 135 as I have compared it alongside a Tokina.
I've had very mixed results from this lens, mostly poor, but I keep it as part of the chrome eared series. I've got it out of the box so I shall try it again tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy I haven`t really tried this, it came with a bag of stuff, its just about my smallest lens though so possibly a useful walkabout on a nice day stopped down.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soligor CD 70-210 / 3.5 Serial No, 17500213, Tokina

It's not very plain on these shots but there are no DoF marks at all on this lens, there's a single white line just about visible on the top of the lens.

Some shots from today, all at ISO 1600 on the NEX5,
This clock tower shot is hand held at the full 210, no PP at all. I think it was f8

I thought there would be some visible fringing, but that's a good picture.

These two were on a tripod, again no PP. Probably f5.6, and one at 70mm the other 210mm.

[/url]

[/url]

I'm very pleased with this lens, I have used it before and got 'average' results from it, but I was almost certainly using lower ISO and slower speeds. I shall be using this more often. ( I'll compare it to a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 when I get a chance )

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kobori gaining popularity (or is it the M42 mount that attracted attention): Click here to see on Ebay.de

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Kobori gaining popularity (or is it the M42 mount that attracted attention): Click here to see on Ebay.de

Kobori has performed well for me.
I had a Kiron and a Cosina made Vivitar 28-210 as well as the Kobori Vivitar 28-200.
The comparisons that I did showed the Kobori to be a clear winner among those three of mine.
I still have the Kobori but let the other two go.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Soligor CD 75-205mm the same lens (with a few minor cosmetic changes) as the Zivnon 75-205mm?

And did Soligor's CD 70-160mm also appear as the Hanimex 72-162mm?
(which has the same infrared markings as the pictured Kobori, but the word "macro" and lines either side of it are in red,
and its aperture ring goes the opposite way ... plus 2mm added to each end of the zoom markings)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norland wrote:
Is the Soligor CD 75-205mm the same lens (with a few minor cosmetic changes) as the Zivnon 75-205mm?
And did Soligor's CD 70-160mm also appear as the Hanimex 72-162mm?

Yes and they all are made by Kobori.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Soligor 9 Thy name shall any more be called Kiron but Ko Reply with quote

All my Soligor's having the serial numbers starting with 3 look like this style. 3 based on internet is from Sun. I think I am more inclined to believe Soligor demanded that style.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that my three Soligor lenses starting with 2 looks very similar to Tokina. I think the popular codes of manufacturer in the following link might need some further justification.

https://www.apotelyt.com/photo-lens/soligor-catalog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor 9 Thy name shall any more be called Kiron but Ko Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
All my Soligor's having the serial numbers starting with 3 look like this style. 3 based on internet is from Sun. I think I am more inclined to believe Soligor demanded that style.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that my three Soligor lenses starting with 2 looks very similar to Tokina. I think the popular codes of manufacturer in the following link might need some further justification.

https://www.apotelyt.com/photo-lens/soligor-catalog

That link shows information stolen from http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-12-8-f28mm-21and-versions-t30866.html There is a more up-to-date table later in the mflenses.com original

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote