Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 500mm f5,6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Soligor 500mm f5,6 Reply with quote

Hello!

I have a respectable range of Minolta-lenses as well as other brands. A few days ago I have been offered a Soligor Telelens 500mm f5,6( Not a Mirrorlens!!!). It seems to be a very old lens, the brand's name is written in cusive writing, it is equipped with a M42-fitting wich is to be used with the T2-adapter. The filter's diameter is app.108mm.
I have searched the internet to find some information, but with no result. Does anybody know anything about this lens??

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no. I own a Century Precision Optics 500mm f/5.6 that is a basic manual-aperture lens, not even a "preset." Mine takes T-mount adapters. If the Soligor you spotted has a similar optical formula, it might be a good performer. My CPO's formula is an achromatic doublet with a couple of optically flat pieces of glass also in the light path (one in front and one in back).

If the lens is local to you, and if you have the appropriate adapter for your DSLR, I'd recommend that you try it out, and judge for yourself. Bring a tripod. A lot of these old refractors give very good results with DSLRs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very uncommon lens. I believe I may have seen it listed in an a catalog-style magazine ad once (late 1960s?), but I have never seen a picture of one.

Unlike many other standard-specification Soligors, this may have been from just one maker.

If you can arrange for a photo it would be a kindness to us mad collectors.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No we must resist not more temptation Very Happy Very Happy actually it would be nice to see a picture of this Soligor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit! I thought I'd gotten most of the long Soligors, thinking 450mm was the longest prime Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the cursive lettering....probably a Tamron built lens from the early 60's with a drop-in filter holder with a spring loaded filter protector in the rear,as seen in the bottom image...

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm, I spy alot of goodies in the background Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilson.c wrote:
Humm, I spy alot of goodies in the background Wink

...as they patiently wait for a facial and manicure...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW if this is indeed a Tamron built Soligor,it could very well be one of few rare 500mm f5.5 Miranda/Soligor lenses,probably custom built from 1962/1963 onward till about 68/69.Also if it has the drop-in filter at the rear,it takes a custom T-2 mount with a milled rabbet to clear the spring loaded rotating protective housing shown in the image above,.BTW the lens in the pictures is a rare 400mm f5.5 Miranda Soligor built by Tamron.If the lens is a 500mm f5.5 Miranda Soligor,it is a rare lens indeed.Where is this lens located?The few that I've come across on the net are usually in Europe.

Edit: ah-ha,I see your from Germany,which is where this lens is usually found.If this isn't a Miranda Soligor lens,I'd be surprised...can you take some pictures lens including the mount and front element?

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longest Soligor prime ? hmmmm .... what about this one ? : (same "cursive" lettering on front cap)

Soligor 8/800 T2 mount

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugger. I'm gonna need a bigger cabinet Sad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios I have a 1979 Tokina 800 which they also produced for Vivitar and others.

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the Tamron historical Old Series MF Lens at their Japanese website,the Tamron 400mm f5.6 is an identical version of the Miranda Soligor 400mm f5.5....There is no data on the 500mm f5.5 at this site,so appparently they didn't build the lens as a Tamron labeled product.

There used to be a Japanese website,that a had pics and a short history of Miranda lenses.This website is no longer up with the exception of the internet archives at the Wayback Machine.Checking this site morning,the lens pics didn't show in the archives.

Tamron 400/5.6 at Old Series MF Lenses,built from 1960-1969....http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://www.tamron.co.jp/data/old-lens/olm400f5_6.htm&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhhwWtkBC0lWzaWJ5BWtfbXNjRaSJA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
Helios I have a 1979 Tokina 800 which they also produced for Vivitar and others.

Does this lens come apart in the middle? Back when I was a camera dealer, I owned a 600mm that was like this -- I think it was a Vivitar, but I remember seeing them under different brand names. As I dimly recall, there were three different "heads" -- a 400mm, 600mm, and 800mm -- that all could be attached to the same focusing unit. The one I owned had a gunsight-looking sight on the head. Looks like that Tokina has one. That one on the bottom shelf looks more like the one I owned.

These teles came in a case that held both pieces side-by-side.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are versions that mount a 400,600 & 800 front barrel section.This could well be true,but I've never run across them.I would imagine if you lived in California close to Vivitars Corporate Headquarters,that many innovative products were sold in the Southwest Region as a sales test.

The 800mm and the 600mm built in 1979 were two piece lenses,and as you'll note in the photo above the 800mm after barrel section is considerably larger.

The 600mm came in a long case with rounded sides for the 600mm,each piece stands vertically in the case.

The 800mm came in a much larger rectangular case with the two pieces laying side by side.

Originally Vivitar had the 600mm built as a one piece lens.

The Tokina 800mm as far as I know was always a two-piece lens...the earlier Komine built 800mm may have been one piece,but I believe it was a two piece lens as well.

Changes in 2nd generation version of both lens included,moving the aperture,front barrel section redesign,improved multi-coating,a longer lens hood and the focus ring moved forward for easier handling.This makes the latter versions more desirable,since they are sharper with better contrast then the early versions.

Mike Michaelski has the two versions of the 600mm and a few different versions of the 500mm.Two on the left are the one and two piece versions of the 600mm F/8, while the three on the right are the last 500mm f8 & f6.3 versions.

BTW...Mike has a bad habit....his Konica collection

Mike's CZJ 1000mm big gun...

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Should really show this thread to my friend the next time she says that i have too much photographic gear ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked That's a mind blowing collection...is there any help from getting that bad..doctor doctor...HELP Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus where can i find emoticon for jaws dropped 15cm Smile?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Pictures from me to you?! Reply with quote

Hello to Everyone!

First of all many thanks to all who have aswered to my request. A few are waiting for pictures to evaluate the "unknopwn" lens and believe me for the past few days I have spent hours trying to get an available + free webspace in order to post them in this forum. Unfortunately the Deutsche-telecom is way behind and today there was a friendy voice at the helpline telling me that this feature is currently unavailable. As I'd like to get on with it, is there a online space wich anyone of the forum is using??(For free?? Confused )
As I am running out of ideas...... please assist!!

Thanks[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use built in upload for image host. You can find it on top right hand site of post edit box. "Upload picture"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Attila!

Thaks a lot! Strange....never saw this button. Maybe I shouldn't work on my PC late a night.
To try out if its working, i'll add a pic from my favorite camera-lens-combination.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As requested I've got a picture of the lens but please excuse the poor quality, as I was in a great rush and the person still owning the lens had no time for an intensive shooting!
Furthermore I'd wish to update the data I have been given about the lens: The apature ranges from 5,0 to 32. It is also equipped with a apature stopper(silver-colored ring front) The closest shot with this lens is 12m! The lenshood is the dropon version. Everything is made from a solid metal alloy!!! It seems to be sooooo solid you might as well use it for tearing down a wall, although I wouldn't recomend it!! javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')
To give you the proper feeling for the proportion, the ruler measures 30cm and there is no lenshood fitted on the front end!javascript:emoticon('Exclamation')
I think I'll buy the lens to test it myself, and yes it seems to be a very uncommon lens indeed!

Helios,by the way, I liked the 800mm lens! Never ever seen one from Soligor!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a picture of the front of the lens so we see the inscription?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobbyR wrote:
Seeing your collection, and that lens, makes me think/wish- boy maybe I should keep all my stuff= BUT- the real world slaps me along=side the head and says no, BUT- BUT- selling off part of a collection is kind of like an allergy, it never stops bothering you.

Nice STUFF!

Heard that. I've been buying back stuff this past year that I sold off over 20 years ago. And there's still stuff on the buy-back list.

But already occasionally the question enters my mind -- 'do I really need to keep all the gear I have now?' And I've found that, sometimes, under certain narrow conditions, the answer can be a guarded 'yes.' But even so, I can't help but wonder if, after I've sold items from my current collection, I'll come to regret it a few years hence. Thus I try to resist the temptation when at all possible.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

500mm f/5 ?

Thanks for the picture.

Thats a monster. The difference between the mount (looks like a T-mount) and barrel thickness gives a scale as well as the ruler.

From its style I could venture a guess - perhaps made by Sun Optical, late 1960's-early 1970's.

Rare.