Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 350mm f/5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drfredc said

drfredc wrote:
I've had this Soligor 350 since the Dinosaurs got taken out by some asteroid. Sadly, I slept thru that shot.... What was I dreaming about....!?

It's a Pentax screw mount, with a different tripod mounting system than others have shown. Serial # H 70229. I just got a Kx and ordered an adapter so I can put it to use again. I recall it took good pictures, took some with a doubler that turned out ok. I also vaguely remember it may have also had a problem focusing to infinity at f5.6, but not so much at higher stops. I've used a tennis ball can lid for the lens cover -- fit nicely.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drfredc
For your first post images don't show up. It's for spam protection.
That's why I quoted you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, log it in the Big Soligor thread!

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-big-soligor-thread-t33736,highlight,soligor.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished cleaning the elements of a Soligor 350mm f5.6 with a hydrogen-peroxide/ammonia mix.
It has a cemented doublet at the front, and a single non-moving element at the rear.
Set infinity to where it ought to be -- but cannot as yet get the large one of the three grub-screws to fit back in correctly.
It is however holding together securely on two at the moment.
The lens is presumably a Komine (H6 serial number); have fitted it with a long lens-hood and results are satisfactory.
There's been too much evapouration-haze to evaluate it at really long distances, though.

Pity that one doesn't focus more closely -- also been looking at a Kino (#9 serial code) version with closer focus.
Has some fungus internally at both front and rear, but even allowing for that it appears to be an inferior lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished cleaning the Kino lens -- too dark to test it now, though.
This one (the closer focus variant of Soligor 350mm f5.6) has a cemented doublet at both front and rear.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this lens is good but do you think its really worth it ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If $20 is worth it, then it is worth it.
Fine lens to learn long photo technique, which can have quite a steep learning curve.
If it drives you nuts and is no fun, then no regrets.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Hi Bill,

Those Soligor presets with the knurled "ears" on the aperture ring and the chrome setting ring all seem to have the italic style "Soligor".

The only thing that seems certain is that these of this style are all from one manufacturer.

If they were made by Tokina, there is no reason why there couldn't be mechanical differences between the presets and the auto's, as the presets were of very different design overall. The known preset Tokinas aren't much like the Auto Tokinas.

What bothers me is that the known preset Tokinas are very different from these Soligors. For one thing, the aperture rings and diaphragm on the Tokinas (in their many merchants brands) are all towards the front of the barrel, in front of the focusing mechanism and helical. These Soligors have the rings and presumably the diaphragm way back near the mount. Thats a rather fundamental design change.

I have seen and missed some of these preset Tokinas (in other brands) in the odd Soligor sizes like 180, 250 and 350 - they exist, but are rare. And they don't look like these either.

Interesting also is that this basic design of this Soligor series is not seen under any other brand, which is very odd. Usually one would see the same thing sold under other brands with cosmetic changes. This line seems unique to Soligor.

Luis, does this thinking still stand? I have 35, 135, 200, 300 and 400 in the chrome ear series and I think Kiron, Tokina and Sun lenses.
I'll get them all on the desk later and compare them carefully.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
luisalegria wrote:
Hi Bill,

Those Soligor presets with the knurled "ears" on the aperture ring and the chrome setting ring all seem to have the italic style "Soligor".

The only thing that seems certain is that these of this style are all from one manufacturer.

If they were made by Tokina, there is no reason why there couldn't be mechanical differences between the presets and the auto's, as the presets were of very different design overall. The known preset Tokinas aren't much like the Auto Tokinas.

What bothers me is that the known preset Tokinas are very different from these Soligors. For one thing, the aperture rings and diaphragm on the Tokinas (in their many merchants brands) are all towards the front of the barrel, in front of the focusing mechanism and helical. These Soligors have the rings and presumably the diaphragm way back near the mount. Thats a rather fundamental design change.

I have seen and missed some of these preset Tokinas (in other brands) in the odd Soligor sizes like 180, 250 and 350 - they exist, but are rare. And they don't look like these either.

Interesting also is that this basic design of this Soligor series is not seen under any other brand, which is very odd. Usually one would see the same thing sold under other brands with cosmetic changes. This line seems unique to Soligor.

Luis, does this thinking still stand? I have 35, 135, 200, 300 and 400 in the chrome ear series and I think Kiron, Tokina and Sun lenses.
I'll get them all on the desk later and compare them carefully.

I, too am interested.
I have the Soligor 180mm with the knurled "ears" on the aperture ring and the chrome setting ring, but no italic script.
Mine has a 1XXXXXXX serial so I presume Tokina - but who knows
OH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had both for a while now ....

The version of Soligor 350mm that's seemingly by Komine ("H6" serial number) is well worth getting.
The version by Kino ("9" serial) is noticeably poorer in all respects, except for having closer focus.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soligor 35mm f3.5 46mm Kino / Kiron 9697640 script - italic style
Soligor 135mm f2.8 55mm Tokina M163924 script
Soligor 200mm f4.5 55mm Tokina 1678241 script
Soligor 300mm f5.5 62mm Sun 375860 script
Soligor 400mm f6.3 67mm Kino / Kiron 9701106 script - italic style
Soligor (Sold ) 400mm f6.3 67mm Kino / Kiron 9693568

That's my selection of chrome eared Soligors, the 4th column is filter size, and the 6th serial numbers. The 'Soligor' on the front ring is script, but the 35 and 400 have a slanted italic script. The maker is the best information we have so far from the Soligor 28 topic ( I think ) so that might not be gospel.
If these lenses come from the same manufacturer then the serial number designation goes out the window. I've had a quick look at the lenses side by side and they could possibly have the same manufacturer, but I need to study them much more carefully. And there's obviously age to consider in that as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Soligor 350mm f/5.6 Reply with quote

Hi. Just joined the forum, and am interested in the big Soligors. I have the 400mm f6.3 and 350mm f5.6, both with chrome ears, and also a Paragon 300mm.
Both the Soligors have built-in lens hoods, which I didn't see mentioned in the Soligor 350mm f/f.6 thread. The only other lenses I have with built-in lens hoods of this style are Miranda lenses of the pre-Dixons period (eg the later 135mm f2.8 and 200mm f3.5). Is this a characteristic of one manufacturer only?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 400 6.3 and 300 5.5 have built in hoods. the 200 4.5 and 135 2.8 don't. The Paragon might be a good lens, Paragon was the name of lenses sold by the Photax chain of stores and the few Paragon + Super Paragon lenses that I've seen have been very good, I think Photax bought decent quality lenses to have branded rather than just buying the cheapest.

And welcome to the forum. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally have obtained a Soligor 350 preset. I wasn't going to post about the purchase, but since this thread already exists, why not!!

Here is a link to the auction:

Click here to see on Ebay

Mine has the aforementioned chrome ears so I guess Tokina. Regardless, I like the lens for what it cost.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are usually 9xxx serials, attributed to kino.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Those are usually 9xxx serials, attributed to kino.

Agreed. Unable to see the serial number until lens arrives. But if Kino I remain a happy camper. Reviews I'm seeing elsewhere point to this being a good lens. Of course actual condition upon arrival will determine a great deal. Lens was shipped today. Am hopeful.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a lot more Soligors since I posted that list ( on my birthday as well Wink )

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:27 am Post subject:

Soligor 35mm f3.5 46mm Kino / Kiron 9697640 script - italic style
Soligor 135mm f2.8 55mm Tokina M163924 script
Soligor 200mm f4.5 55mm Tokina 1678241 script
Soligor 300mm f5.5 62mm Sun 375860 script
Soligor 400mm f6.3 67mm Kino / Kiron 9701106 script - italic style
Soligor (Sold ) 400mm f6.3 67mm Kino / Kiron 9693568

and the mystery of who made lenses for Soligor gets more confusing with every lens we buy. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
I'm going to add one more pic to this thread. It's a Kawanon 350mm.
It's very likely there was a Soligor version of this lens. If you have one please post it.

Well, my Soligor 350mm lens (please see up thread a few posts) arrived today. It is a nice lens but I received a small surprise:

The serial number of my new lens begins with the letters "KA". This is why I referenced your post. I have to assume from its serial number that my lens is a Kawanon version, even with its chrome ring and ears. So as you requested I am posting, albeit a number of years late. Does anyone disagree?

With Soligor lenses there is a surprise hidden around every corner! Laughing

To view photos of my new lens go here:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the same thing with the 400mm f6.3 - one turned up with KA serial, but essentially identical to the 9xxx ones. But it wasn't as good actually... Sad
Kawanon attribution seems reasonable.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In process of researching "KA" on the internet.

New information indicates it could stand for "Kyoei Acall".

I have never heard of Kyoei Acall.

Am completely confused.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:

I posted that, just one post back, barely over two years ago. It's 2019. And of course now I have heard of Kyoei Acall.

It would appear there is an eBay seller who believes my lens now is worth a LOT of money. I dunno. But here is the auction:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the tamron (T-xxx.. serial) and tokina (Hxxxx... serial) soligor 350mm, and recently sold a "chrome-eared" 9xxxx serial one. No doubt for me which is the best - the Tamron made one. The tokina one is quite sharp but its distant close focus is restricting.
I took these test pics with the 9xxxx one. Samsung NX20.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
guardian wrote:

I posted that, just one post back, barely over two years ago. It's 2019. And of course now I have heard of Kyoei Acall.

It would appear there is an eBay seller who believes my lens now is worth a LOT of money. I dunno. But here is the auction:

That IS quite a high asking price. He also has a Soligor 135mm whose serial number is rare. My offer got rejected last night without a counter. Smile