Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Snowy Trees with Takumar 135/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Snowy Trees with Takumar 135/3.5 Reply with quote

Here are a couple of quick shots from the recent snow with the old pre-set Takumar 135/3.5.

I'm still working out my very new entry into self-developing. These came out maybe a little contrasty, but fairly close to what was true.

I wish I might have cut down the develop time a little in the Rodinal - perhaps even back to 9 minutes. But hey, experimentation is the basis for progress....right? Very Happy

Two different snow tones.

HP5
Rodinal 11minutes 49:1 at 20C

Snow Tones at Dusk

Snow Tones with Overcast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think #1 captures the contrast better - snow is a bitch to get right. I think the tendency of all the measuring devices to find an average grey causes part of the problem. BTW - you had quite a storm up there

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry
My old standby for snow, desert (day), and beach is overexpose by 1 stop and under-develop by 2-2.5. With the latitude modern B+W films provide. This works as a quick and easy starting point for high contrast situations. At least for the look I am usualy going for. I like Tmax over rodinal mostly because you can soup it up at a bit higher temp and get shorter development times. Hopefully you can use this info.

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look very good to me. Nice composition and you got all the details. Contrast is about personal preference and the 2 shot are good enough for tweaking in photoshop or on multi density paper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with poilu, I like both of them, and I don't think contrast is a problem in these mountain scenes, they are supposed to look "bold".

And yes, love the compositions!

Did you climb up there with all that snow??

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer #2 but neither looks wrongly exposed to me. Nicely composed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots!

I'd love to have both the lens and the snow! Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great pics Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful!
Great shots. And thanks for sharing the details of developing, it's a great help for those of us that want to go the B&W way.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all of you! In regards to developing, I'm a rank amateur at it! I basically go by "what is written on the box" to come up with the ratios and developing time.

I tend more towards getting negs only from a local lab, and then scanning any that seem like they have potential. Also, I've been leaning more and more toward letting them scan with their dedicated scan machine. My Epson 2450 does not "like" 35mm. Crying or Very sad