Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Takumar 300/4 - Nikkor ED IF 300/4.5 - Sonnar 300/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: SMC Takumar 300/4 - Nikkor ED IF 300/4.5 - Sonnar 300/4 Reply with quote

Seeking for the best 300mm lens, I accumulated some fine glass: S-M-C Takumar 4/300mm, Nikkor ED IF 4.5/300mm, and CZJ Sonnar MC 4/300mm, all very fine lenses. My findings with the full-frame 5DmkII are below.

Size: Takumar is the shortest of the bunch, by about 2cm shorter than Nikkor. And that's despite Nikkor has ED and was touted as being the most compact 300mm lens of the time. Sonnar is by far the biggest and the bulkiest.

Weight: Takumar and Nikkor are about the same weight; Sonnar is obviously heavier.

Handling: Nikkor has by far the smoothest focusing. Nothing extends, focusing is light and conveniently located. Takumar is the second, and Sonnar is extremely bulky, making it difficult to handle.

Image quality: That's the most interesting part. I shot the same scene with all lenses wide open and at f/5.6, making sure to focus with LiveView and picking the best focused shot out of several. Focusing was on a satellite dish.

Sharpness: Wide open, I would say it's Sonnar and Nikkor (both about equally sharp), followed distantly by Takumar. Overall, I found the Tak to be not quite sharp enough wide open with less micro-contrast than the other two lenses. Stopped down to f/5.6, all lenses give comparable performance; I would say, Nikkor and Sonnar closely, then Takumar.

CA: Chromatic aberration plagues old teles. Takumar shows especially strong CA wide open, even slightly worse stopped down; both Nikkor and Sonnar handle CA beutifully. Takumar has the most pronounced lateral CA. Note that Sonnar is a 50 year old design without any ED glass in it! Both Takumar and Nikkor are significantly newer.

Background blur: Tested on a different set of pictures, bokeh seems to be worst with the Nikkor. OOF highlights are onion-structured and can be slightly disturbing. Nothing too bad though. The Takumar is much smoother, but the Sonnar is absolutely the best in this test.

Vignetting: Wide open, both Takumar and Nikkor exhibit light fall-off towards the corners. Stopped down, the issue almost disappears. Generally, I don't mind vignetting in tele lenses as it adds to the atmosphere. Having said that, the Sonnar has none of it! No wonder, it's a medium format lens after all.

The winner? IQ wise, I'd pick the Sonnar any day for its uniform picture quality, no light fall-off, and nice rendering with smooth bokeh. However, it's a heavy and bulky beast which is hard to haul around even for a short while. Nikkor finishes a close second; I love its handling, its compact size and relatively light weight. Takumar disappoints by not having the punch wide open the other two lenses have, and exhibiting pronounced CA all over the frame. Despite S-M-C coatings, micro-contrast wide open is not that exciting as well.

Conclusion: Out of the three lenses, the next one I'll take on a photo hunt will be Nikkor ED IF 300/4.5.

Test shots. This was the scene I shot the tests:

100% crops will follow. Unsharpened, unprocessed. A little USM will certainly give more details; even wide-open shots made with the Takumar are very usable when looked at with less magnification!

Last edited by aoleg on Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Takumar test shots Reply with quote

Here are 100% crops of the test shots of S-M-C Takumar 300/4. They were not sharpened or processed.

Center, wide open (f/4):

Center, f/5.6:

CA wide open (note: this is not a sharpness test; a different subject was focused on):

CA at f/5.6:

Last edited by aoleg on Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Nikkor test shots Reply with quote

Here are the test shots of Nikkor ED IF 300/4.5.

Center, wide open (f/4.5):

Center, f/5.6:

CA wide open (note: this is not a sharpness test; a different subject was focused on):

CA at f/5.6:

Last edited by aoleg on Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Sonnar 300/4 Reply with quote

Finally, the test shots of CZJ MC Sonnar 300/4.

Center, wide open (f/4):

Center, f/5.6:

CA at f/5.6:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the Nikkor is better than the Sonnar in blacks - shadows..
tf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these samples - very interesting. I love the nikkor 300/4,5 it's simply one of the best at that range.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Thanks for these samples - very interesting. I love the nikkor 300/4,5 it's simply one of the best at that range.

patrickh

I had all above lenses, I think all are good one and I kept Sonnar and sold Nikon and Takumar. I wish to buy CZ Tessar 300mm f4.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Takumar really trails the other two, purple and green everywhere.

The Nikkor is nice (better than my 300/4.5, which is pre-ED) although CA gets worse as its stopped down, I see.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I had all above lenses, I think all are good one and I kept Sonnar and sold Nikon and Takumar. I wish to buy CZ Tessar 300mm f4.

Seeing how Tele-Tessar fares would indeed be interesting. It's out of my price range though. Also to be considered the fact that the Nikkor focuses down to 2.5m, CZJ Sonnar to 4m, and Takumar to 5.5m. Tele-Tessar is 3.5m. Therefore, I think the Nikkor is the better lens in practical terms, and a better value.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Attila wrote:

Seeing how Tele-Tessar fares would indeed be interesting. It's out of my price range though. Also to be considered the fact that the Nikkor focuses down to 2.5m, CZJ Sonnar to 4m, and Takumar to 5.5m. Tele-Tessar is 3.5m. Therefore, I think the Nikkor is the better lens in practical terms, and a better value.

Yes, exactly from all above three Nikkor is best selection.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:

The Nikkor is nice (better than my 300/4.5, which is pre-ED) although CA gets worse as its stopped down, I see.

The small amount of CA in the ED Nikkor can be corrected fairly easily and without noticeable effect on image quality in the RAW converter. Correcting pronounced CA such as those in the Takumar is much less feasible, and produces a generally even softer image. With the Tak, it's difficult to get a perfect image at wider apertures: I stop down to get a sharper picture, CA goes worse, I get a softer image after correcting them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You for this most interesting test. I´m looking for a 300 mm lens for my Nikon, and by your test, it seems, that a Nikkor ED glass is the best option. I just wonder, how a Tair-3, or -33 would have done with these three?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
Thank You for this most interesting test. I´m looking for a 300 mm lens for my Nikon, and by your test, it seems, that a Nikkor ED glass is the best option. I just wonder, how a Tair-3, or -33 would have done with these three?

I don't have a Tair, but I don't think it can be better than the Nikkor. Considering the price factor, the small premium paid for a Nikkor is well worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comparison between the Nikkor and the Sonnar.
The Nikkor has worst CA stopped down but has nearly none wide open, while the Sonnar has a bit of CA in every situation.
Since super long tele lenses are often used wide open, I would then vote for the Nikkor.
The Takumar unfortunately does not seem up to the same quality level.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
ChrisLilley wrote:

The small amount of CA in the ED Nikkor can be corrected fairly easily and without noticeable effect on image quality in the RAW converter.

Lateral CA can be fairly easily corrected, the software scales the red and blue channels relative to the green one (either linearly or, for better correction, non-linearly).

Axial CA is less easy, and I believe the CA here is axial.
Edit: but I was wrong, as the next post shows its lateral CA

Last edited by ChrisLilley on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor @f/5.6 corrected for CA:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:

IMHO there are two 300mm-ish f/4-ish lenses that will beat the three in this test;

300mm f/4.5 Nikkor*ED (non-IF)
280mm f/4 APO-Telyt-R (Leica)

The non-IF Nikkor shows no CA, however it doesn't focus as close, the focus isn't as smooth and the bokeh can be harsh.

The Leica lens' drawbacks are its size & weight, and its cost. Its focus is smooth and quick, has an excellent close-focus limit, the bokeh is usually quite good, and for all practical purposes its optimum aperture is f/4.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildlightphoto wrote:

IMHO there are two 300mm-ish f/4-ish lenses that will beat the three in this test;

Make it three...
http://www.geocities.com/ilprode/300f28.htm

-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
wildlightphoto wrote:

Make it three...

-

That f/2.8 lens does not really count as a 300mm f/4-ish lens, though. Although if it does, so does this
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildlightphoto wrote:

The non-IF Nikkor*ED is elusive. I tried to spot one for a few month with no success.

The APO Leica is most certainly better than any of the three tested here, but being 20 times more expensive than all three combined it better be. It's possible to lease one for just $243/mo over 3 years though Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Orio wrote:
wildlightphoto wrote:

Make it three...

-

That f/2.8 lens does not really count as a 300mm f/4-ish lens, though. Although if it does, so does this
Click here to see on Ebay

Oh well, I'll never be able to afford any of them, so... Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet my Helios 300mm F4.5 could beat them... Not.

So far doesn't seem too bad, maybe on par with Tair, but CA is quite evident.
I still have to try it in a sunny day. Only have slow shutter speed photos.

If I had money, the M* 300 F4, A* 300mm F4 and A* 300 F2.8 seem rather interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vey useful comarison there. I've been thinking of adding some 300mm+ lenses to my collection and at least have an idea on what not to buy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS The nikkor 300/4,5 ED (non IR) was a very short production run and so is rare and expensive.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the Tak and the Nikkor. I prefer the latter. Although the Tak is certainly sharp enough I found it to have quite unusual and rather harsh bokeh. But here are two photos - first the NIkkor and then the Tak. I would be interested in seeing what you think. Maybe the bokeh in mine had something to do with the shooting conditions or the version (mine is the early manual aperture version.)