Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Takumar 3.5/135 vs. MC Jupiter-37AM
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Abbazz, I am not sure to understand if you are talking of the 3.5/135 or the 2.5/135, in any case my 3.5/135 has serial number 43542.
-

Yes, that was a typo I think. The 43802 and 43812 are both f2.5 versions.

My version is exactly the same lens as yours Orio. It's a beautiful lens but of my four 135 lenses it stands behind the J-37A and the CZJ 3.5/135 S on the shelf, with the Pentacon 2.8 preset at the back.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
patrickh wrote:
Laurence
You take the sexiest pictures!
patrickh

Haha! Almost, but not quite as sexy as young, toned female? Wink

Just a matter of perspective. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Abbazz, I am not sure to understand if you are talking of the 3.5/135 or the 2.5/135, in any case my 3.5/135 has serial number 43542.
-

There is no typo, my post was about the different versions of the 135/3.5 lens. The last paragraph was a digression about the 135/2.5 lens, because the 135/2.5 also exists in two very different versions. It was only meant to illustrate my point about pixel peepers discussing lenses without knowing which lens they are talking about, like for example the quote in Kuuan's post taken from http://stans-photography.info regarding this lens.

Orio, if the product number on your 135/3.5 is 43542 (this is not the serial number), then you have a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar (black finish with knurled focusing ring). Optically, this is the model II lens (4 element/4group). The Super-Multi-Coated Takumar lenses are usually the most sought after by collectors, because they had the superior coatings licensed from the American company OCLI, while the later lenses (labeled SMC-Takumar) had a cheaper finish with rubber focusing rings.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that's a lot of information and knowledge you are sharing Abbazz

and only now I became aware that the model I had picked up is not even coated and of the 'inferior 4/4 construction, it is the Super Takumar Model II with the number 43541
well, a beginner's mistake? but I am happy with it anyway!

but this leads me to a more general question: how important is coating on old lenses? I remember having read somewhere that multi coating on older lenses on dSLRs even could be a disadvantage, and single coating could be best?

- Is there a consensus on advantages/disadvantages of non coated / single coated / multicoated lenses on dSLR?

later edit: I have had a look around and found that there may not be a consensus, specially concerning Takumars I have found contradicting views:
e.g.: quote:
'Super-Tak advantage over the SMC is something that I've been trying to explain to people on forums for quite some time now. Much in the same way that I prefer the single-coated Zuikos over the later MC versions. These lenses present less extreme dynamic range to the digital sensor. Shadows don't race to black like they do with lenses with superior coatings. Most of the Zeiss T* lenses really challenge this aspect of digital photography. If you shoot to preserve the highlights, shadow detail drops into a black hole. Especially under really contrasty lighting situations. There are exceptions, one of which is the 135/2.8 Sonnar.'

and another quote:
'A slightly later Super-Multicoated-Takumar or, later still, SMC Takumar
would probably be a better bet still, since Pentax's SMC coating is to this
day one of the very best. (The original SMC is as good as modern Zeiss T*
and Fujinon EBC, the current SMC I think edges even both these out.)
However, the latest Super Takumars were multi-coated before the process was
officially launched by Pentax, so take a close look and you _may_ find you
get a bargain if the lens has multicoating but not the 'label' to say so. '

thank you for any input,
andreas

Last edited by kuuan on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:

Orio, if the product number on your 135/3.5 is 43542 (this is not the serial number), then you have a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar (black finish with knurled focusing ring).

Yes, that's what is written on my copy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
There is no typo

Please read your first message carefully. 43802 and 43812 are both f2.5 lenses. There is only one version of the S-M-C 135/3.5, No 43542, which is the one that Orio and I own.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
only now I became aware that the model I had picked up is not even coated and of the 'inferior 4/4 construction, it is the Super Takumar Model II with the number 43541
well, a beginner's mistake? but I am happy with it anyway!

I don't know if the Model II is really inferior, but some people say so. I have a model II and am quite happy with it, although it's not my favorite 135mm lens. If you like the lens, don't worry about the model designation, let the pixel peepers fight over MTF curves on the other forums and keep on shooting with your lens! Laughing

kuuan wrote:
but this leads me to a more general question: how important is coating on old lenses? I remember having read somewhere that multi coating on older lenses on dSLRs even could be a disadvantage, and single coating could be best?

It depends mainly on the number of glass-air interfaces in the lens. A triplet (3 element/3 group), a Tessar (4/3) or a Heliar (5/3) all have 6 glass-air interfaces. They won't need superior coating to provide pictures with good contrast. The single coated Tessar type lens on my Mamiya Six folder is the lens with the strongest contrast I know. Even a Sonnar type lens with 8 glass-air interfaces doesn't benefit much from multi coatings. On the other hand, my Super-Takumar 20/4.5 has 11 elements in 10 groups, that's 20 glass-air interfaces. It is not surprising that this single coated lens has a rather low contrast and flares quite easily.

Of course, greater contrast is not always an advantage, it also depends on the kind of effect you want to achieve. Lower contrast can also be an advantage on digital, because of the limited dynamic range of the sensors.

kuuan wrote:
However, the latest Super Takumars were multi-coated before the process was officially launched by Pentax

That's true. The coatings were upgraded on the last batches of certain Super-Takumar lenses, before Pentax officially launched the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar series. Even before that, there were some changes in the Pentax coatings. Some lenses had a blue coating, some yellow, some purple.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Please read your first message carefully. 43802 and 43812 are both f2.5 lenses. There is only one version of the S-M-C 135/3.5, No 43542, which is the one that Orio and I own.

Sorry Peter, but it seems there is a bit of misunderstanding. Of course, the 43802 and 43812 lenses are two different models of the 135/2.5 lens. As I said in the post you quote, my last paragraph was about his lens.

There were indeed two different models of the Super-Takumar 135/3.5 lens (not the S-M-C). They are mentioned in the GV Oosten book referenced in my post; you can also see the two different models on this page of the Asahi Optical Historical Club website: http://www.aohc.it/tak04e.htm (the model numbers to look for are 354 and 43541). The S-M-C Takumar 135/3.5 (43542) had the simplified optical formula (4 element/4 group) of the Super-Takumar Model II (43541) plus the SMC multi-coatings.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1965, the rear group doublet of the Super-Takumar was replaced with a single meniscus, thus giving birth to the new Model II lens with 4 elements in 4 groups. Product number was 43541.

All subsequent versions (S-M-C-Takumar and K-mount) shared the same optical formula as the Super-Takumar model II.

ABAZZ thank you for all this information its most useful and well researched. I have just found this thread again and but am preparing for work. I must read and digest it ore carefully when I get the chance.

One thing I have found about Pentax lenses is that its harder to research info about lens variations, (especially in optical design) than say Leica or even Nikon lenses where there is a lot of very specific and detailed published information on the web and in books. The info may be there but it takes a lot of time to find as it seems to be spread out and dispersed. Even where there are sites on Pentax lenses, few seem to go to the extent of distinguishing between different model types in their assessment or are quite geenral about their assessments. I had no idea for example that the late SMC Tak 135/3.5 had undergone this change in formula. I bought one ayear or two back because one of the few versions I did not have. But to be honest I have not really tried it in any serious way.

I would like to do some tests sometime to see how they compare.

I have not seen the book, "Gerjan van Oosten's The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screwmount Guide" in Australia. Is it worth getting ? I may order it from Amazon if its specific and detailed enough.

I would love it if others were able to find more info of this type to post. (I have a whole thread of early lens tests on this forum but only a few Taks and only of one particular period. Moreover, there is no test for the 135/3.5 which is a bit disappointing given its popularity at the time.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1957, the lens was released in M42 mount for the new Asahi Pentax camera as the Takumar 135/3.5. It was the preset version in black barrel with chrome rings; product number was 324/43240. The optical formula was unchanged. This is Laurence's lens pictured above.

Of course, there is no way it was multi-coated. But, was this oldest version SINGLE coated?

I sure get a nice bluish-purple tint when angling the lens adjacent to the light from the window.

Even the glass-air surfaces in the reflected inner lenses seem to have from blue to gold...probably just the way the light hits, I guess? Surprised

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm1 wrote:
ABAZZ thank you for all this information its most useful and well researched.

You're very welcome, Peter.

peterm1 wrote:
I have not seen the book, "Gerjan van Oosten's The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screwmount Guide" in Australia. Is it worth getting ?

To me, this is by far the best reference if you are interested in old Asahi Pentax cameras and lenses. There is one page of detailed information with a photograph and an optical diagram for every M37 and M42 lens made by Pentax between 1952 and 1977. There is also a lot of information about cameras and accessories as well as about Pentax in general. You will find a lot of interesting facts that are not available elsewhere, even on internet. And, best of all, this book is accurate. The only problem is that it has been out of print for some time and it is quite difficult to find.

Here is a sample page from this book:

©Gerjan van Oosten, The ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide, Uitgeverij Jansz, Zeist 1999

I have also the book written by Danilo Cecchi (Asahi Pentax and Pentax SLR 35mm cameras 1952-1989). It has a larger scope but the information is nowhere as detailed as in G. van Oosten's book. Worse, there are many inaccuracies.

peterm1 wrote:
I would love it if others were able to find more info of this type to post. (I have a whole thread of early lens tests on this forum but only a few Taks and only of one particular period. Moreover, there is no test for the 135/3.5 which is a bit disappointing given its popularity at the time.)

Thank you for posting these test results. They are an invaluable resource for collectors of old lenses.

Regarding the Super-Takumar 135/2.5, the test is for the first model, which had a lot of chromatic aberrations, as stated in the test. the Model II was a much better lens.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Of course, there is no way it was multi-coated. But, was this oldest version SINGLE coated?

I sure get a nice bluish-purple tint when angling the lens adjacent to the light from the window.

Even the glass-air surfaces in the reflected inner lenses seem to have from blue to gold...probably just the way the light hits, I guess? Surprised

Yes, the lens was single coated. Almost all the lenses produced after World War II were single coated. As coating technology evolved, more effective anti-reflective compounds were used, and sometimes two or three layers were applied to the lens elements, thus explaining the color variations observed in the coatings. Even if technically some of these lenses had more than one layer of coating, the designation "single coating" is used today to qualify them.

"Multi-coating" is reserved for the lenses with many layers that began to appear in the early 1970s. The first Pentax SMC coating (which was a licensed technology from an American company producing coatings for airplanes windows) had 7 layers, the Fuji EBC, 11 layers. There have been numerous changes in the SMC coatings since the first S-M-C Takumar appeared as the world's first multi-coated lens in 1971.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Abbazz. Looks like very good reference material. I have found a seller in Australia but its quite an expensive book - around $100.

I agree with your assessment of the book by Danilo Cecchi. I also have it but find it to be very limiting. Perhaps OK for someone just beginning to get into Pentax gear but it quickly runs out of steam. I have not read it for a while, but I seem to recall that I too had the imporession that there were some inaccuracies in it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm1 wrote:
Thanks again Abbazz. Looks like very good reference material. I have found a seller in Australia but its quite an expensive book - around $100.

I agree with your assessment of the book by Danilo Cecchi. I also have it but find it to be very limiting. Perhaps OK for someone just beginning to get into Pentax gear but it quickly runs out of steam. I have not read it for a while, but I seem to recall that I too had the imporession that there were some inaccuracies in it.

As and aside. While researching this on the web I found this interesting Luminous Landscape article on the 50mm f1.4.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-02-11-24.shtml

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm1 wrote:

You're welcome, Peter. Yes, that's about what the book sells for nowadays. I bought my copy a few years ago for the fifth of that amount.

peterm1 wrote:
As and aside. While researching this on the web I found this interesting Luminous Landscape article on the 50mm f1.4.

I like Mike Johnston articles very much. Too bad he was set aside from the big US photography magazines. Apart from his interesting TheOnlinePhotographer.com blog, he still appears monthly in the English Black & White Photography magazine.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some nice photos and info on Takumars, and an interesting shootout of the 50mm here:
http://www.pbase.com/carpents/equipment

( that article 'my favorite lens' at luminous landscape had made me pay special attention to Takumars, an other article called 'hitting one over the fence' mademe buy the Minolta A2. )

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterm
Thanks for the link. Mike Johnston is one of the group of pro photographers who share their experiences willingly and for free. I treasure them all as a voice of sanity in a largely hype driven field.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some nice photos and info on Takumars, and an interesting shootout of the 50mm here:
http://www.pbase.com/carpents/equipment

This is a nice link too. The person who took these photos certainly knew what he was doing. very interesting shots of the lenses and very nice shots taken by them as well.