Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Pentax-FA* 80-200mm F2.8 ED [IF]
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: SMC Pentax-FA* 80-200mm F2.8 ED [IF] Reply with quote

These pictures are a bit too wide but I'll post them here anyway since I've used an AF lens.

Why this lens? It's from the famous Pentax FA* (FA Star) line which was discontinued in the early 2000's. I never understoond why Pentax would discontinue such a good zoom; I think they made a mistake back then to concentrate on the APS-C format.

I have never had many zooms, so I don't know how this zoom performs compared to other modern lenses (Canon L, Nikon VR). However, immediately after posting I was complimented by a Canon user stating that he found the bokeh of the Pentax much nicer than both the Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM and the 70-200mm F4 L IS USM, and also better than the Nikon VR 70-200mm F2.8 (which all show outlining in the bokeh). I don't know as I have never compared those lenses, so I'll only include it here for your reference.

On a last note: this lens was also designed by Jun Hirakawa, the wizard Pentax lens designer known for leaving a bit of aberrations in the lenses to make for a more pleasing picture. I now have 5 lenses designed by him and I think I see his "fingerprint"Smile

Also, why an AF zoom? I was never impressed with old zooms, but as written elsewhere I rely on the sensor-based SR (Shake Reduction) of my Pentax (I almost never use a tripod). With old zooms using the SR is a major pain in the ass, so I won't even try. Sorry Smile

Enjoy!

And a 100% crop of the previous picture to show the sharpness at 200mm. Looks fine for me for a zoom, but what do I know...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyes are nice, bright but.. lens is not my taste , perhaps if I don't know these are taken with AF lens Laughing Laughing